5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and highly recommeneded
I actually got this book as a fluke. It was on special offer with another self-harm book I was buying and I thought "why not?" I'm glad I did.
Published on 8 Feb 2006 by H. Kirton

3.0 out of 5 stars Provides insight but not a self-help/straight forward guide
I used to self-harm regularly - and still resort to it during extremely stressful times when nothing else will work - and I bought several books on self-harm when I was in the depths of the behaviour.
"Cutting" is one of the books I bought and to be honest I kind of wish I hadn't.
Published on 10 Feb 2003 by Daydream1984

3.0 out of 5 stars Provides insight but not a self-help/straight forward guide, 10 Feb 2003
This review is from: Cutting: Understanding and Overcoming Self-Mutilation (Paperback)
Its not that it isn't a good book and that it doesn't provide detailed insight into the behaviour but I just found it the least helpful, informative & readable book out of all the books I read on the behaviour.
If you self-harm or if you want to know more about self-harm and you don't know much about the subject already or are looking for a book that will help you understand & control your behaviour then I wouldn't recommend this, there are other books available that are exactly what you are looking for.
If you are a therapist/doctor/whatever or really want to know lots more about the subject then this book would be a good buy. It is very informative in that sense but not one for the "lay person" (when it comes to self-harm).

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read......, 29 Dec 2001
By A Customer
An interesting book, but not quite what I expected. As a cutter I was looking for a book that would give me an insight into why people self-harm. Although to some extent this book did, I would have prefered something a bit more general. This book focuses mainly on Levenkrons own theory about self-harm which he applies to all self injurers. I don't really know to what extent I agree with him so I didn't really feel that this book gave me a great insight. Perhaps a better read for those treating self injurers as opposed to those who actually harm themselves.

4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and thought-provoking, 29 Mar 2006
By A Customer
I read this book just after my first year at university came to a dramatic end and found it very helpful. Whilst, as with many books written on this topic, much of the information was irrelevant to my particular mindset and situation, I was occasionally struck by certain sections which described me perfectly and it helped me understand myself. I would recommend this book to other self-harmers and although, as I was initially, you may be offended by the term "self-mutilation", this book has a lot to offer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and highly recommeneded, 8 Feb 2006
H. Kirton (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This book centres mainly on case studies of Levenkron's patients, which is possibly the reason why some self-injurers would pass over it. But, although it's not the "to recover, you need to..." format I imagine that most would look for, the case studies are incredibly helpful and provide insight. I frequently found myself thinking "I understand what she's feeling".
However, be warned- this book is highly triggering, probably particuarly to those who also have an eating disorder, as there are many comparisions to anoerexia throughout.
That being said, I would recommend this book to self-injurers or those interested in finding out more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - I thoroughly recommend it., 1 Feb 2000
By A Customer
Every page of this book showed me that I am not alone. Steven Levenkron has got such a good grasp of this disorder and offers advice and hope. I was suprised how valuable I found it and how readable. I have passed it on to a family member as I feel it explains 'me' better that I ever can. I thoroughly recommend it for those who self injure and those around them. Even general practioners, emergency room staff, psychiatrists, pychologists etc could do with reading it!

5.0 out of 5 stars coping .. and overcoming, 10 Feb 2004
hayels (poole, dorset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
i myself am a self-mutilator, and this book has certainly helped both me, and my friends to understand the disorder (because that's what it is). i severely recommend this to any self-mutilators and their family and friends. it's very informative and really gives an insight to what it's like to suffer from this disorder.
and if you yourself are a self-mutilator, good luck .. you'll get there in the end :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, but my no means aimed at Joe Bloggs, 22 May 2006
Being a self harmer myself (in the early stages of recovery), I bought this book on recommendation from a friend, who had lent it from the library to find out more. Like many of the reviews have already stated, it is more of an insight, indeed an overview of the condition outlined through case studies. One factor of this book that did get my hackles up a little was that it is clearly aimed at teenage girls. I understand that they are a slight majority in sufferers, by they are by no means the only ones. I myself not being a teenage girl found this slightly daunting and alienating, and I found it hard to relate and progress any with such 'insights' through these selected case studies. However, I did find the information, when read 'textbook-style', helpful when added to my own research of causes, triggers and prevention methods (I have chosen to approach my own situation through a psychological study rather than quick fixes, which seems to be working...) If you yourself are planning this approach, then I wouldn't recommend this book as a 'must-read'; it would be more worth your while to borrow the book from a library or friend to delve into.

If you are a friend/relative of a sufferer, then this book would be ideal for an introduction to the condition, whether your friend or relative is a teenage girl or otherwise. And if you happen to *be* a teenage girl, then I believe this book would be pretty much what you're looking for. If you are, however, a middle-aged housewife, a young man or indeed an older bloke, then I would recommend looking elsewhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very helpful book, 15 Jun 1999
By A Customer
I recently bought this book and read it from cover to cover. It gave an interesting insight into the world of a cutter. I have been cutting myself for five years and am glad to finally be able to learn more about it. This book is written in easy to understand language and is very helpful to those people that are afflicted with this condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Insightful book I've read on this subject, 1 May 2014
The author speaks with authority, understanding and compassion on the subject of self-harm. The key takeaway was understanding that self-harm is not "crazy behaviour", but a very intelligent way of a person to dissociate from overwhelming thoughts and feelings. By tracking the whole lifecycle of the behaviour, tremendous insight may be gained into why someone self-harms, and therefore what their specific road to healing might be. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is trying to understand the nature of self-harm, and is looking for a way to heal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Supporters of cutters should read this book!, 17 Aug 1999
By A Customer
I read this book because a good friend of mine has been cutting herself, and I was hoping to gain an understanding of what was driving her to do such a (to my mind) bizarre thing, and what if anything I could do to help. This book is great both for cutters and for those close to them, as it speaks to both. Most importantly, my friend read it too, and it has helped us have a good dialogue about the book and about her situation. If you read this book and keep in mind Levenkron's advice when you are interacting with a cutter, you might help that person to feel more comfortable with you and other people, thereby alleviating some of her isolation and desire to cut.

Cutting: Understanding and Overcoming Self-Mutilation
Cutting: Understanding and Overcoming Self-Mutilation by Steven Levenkron (Paperback - 18 Aug 1999)
11.99