Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 July 1998
This is the most succinct and authoritative introduction to existential psychology and psychotherapy currently available. It contains a variety of May's pithy and penetrating essays on the subject, including his introductory chapter to the classic collection EXISTENCE (1958) that first conveyed the tenets of European existential analysis across the Atlantic to America. When I teach courses on existential psychotherapy, this is one of the titles I like to include as required reading.
on 11 September 2013
This book blew away years of clouded thinking and puzzlement for me. I wish I had discovered it sooner and believe it should be standard reading for all students, teachers, parents, in fact all humans! A recent upsurge in existential psychology is bringing this work back into the mainstream and not a moment too soon. Impossible to do it justice in a review so I just suggest 'read it'.
on 25 September 2008
I am a big fan of May and so I recommend this book on the basis of his persona rather than the lessons to be learned from reading this volume.

It has some generally strong points regarding the historical introduction to Existential Psychology and to how it came about. Those will not be too helpful for the fletching therapist looking to learn the basics but rather help you understand the greater historical/philosophical scheme of things for your own sake.

The last chapters on Heidegger are not too helpful which is why the book only gets four stars. But it is still a great read!
on 9 August 2015
I found fascinating insights and explanations, of what until now, I thought were concrete definitions and descriptions, that have left me with a whole new view on aspects of psychotherapy and counselling I will be using with my clients.
on 12 May 2014
A great analysis by the great man-I somehow felt I was reading a Jules Verne novel and were seeing how many predictions came true. Amust for the existential scholar and student alike.
on 24 January 2015
Great read, really enjoyed this book.
on 27 October 2015
Struggling to read this book, far too abstract to comprehend, not readable for the average lay-person. If I did not know better, I say that it was written by a different author. The Rollo May book that I started with was 'The Art of Counselling', which I found to be very enlightening and that encouraged me to read more of the authors books.