5.0 out of 5 stars My way of looking at life was changed
Published on 8 April 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Rilke
Bought this for my teen son but he didn't seem interested to read it may be when he's older. But may recommend to others to read.
Published on 11 Jan 2012 by Mitsy32

5.0 out of 5 stars My way of looking at life was changed, 8 April 1999
This review is from: Letters to a Young Poet (Paperback)
I read this book when I was 18. A friend of mine recomended it to me. It was a great surprise from the first line. I read it in an afternoon, and could not forget it. All the phrases of advice were as if they had been written to me, as if my fears and lonely thoughts were there answered, in a poetic way, in a different way of looking at the things...giving importance to little things that usually are lost in this way of rapid movement

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest books I've ever read... A must read., 19 July 1996
This review is from: Letters to a Young Poet (Paperback)
This is one of those books that no one ever goes out and buys,
great friends just give it to you as a gift. For anyone going
through a period of soul searching, this is a must read.
Its about a series of correspondeces between a young boy
and an established poet, although you don't read what the boy
said in his letters, the replies given by Rilke are timeless.
You may have never read anything else like this and you
probably won't read anything like this again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rilkes book is not only for joung poets, 28 Jan 1999
This review is from: Letters to a Young Poet (Paperback)
I read this short book of letters by Rilke twice last year and browse through it again and again. Indeed, Rilkes thoughts on man, life, the world are not ony for 'young poets' but are useful for any man. Akthough written at the beginning of this century, these thoughts are also a good guide for anyone living now. I don't need any commercial "Celestine prophecies" - I prefer Rilkes little book !

5.0 out of 5 stars "When a prince is going to speak silence must be made", 14 July 2004
This review is from: Letters to a Young Poet (Paperback)
"Letters to a Young Poet" is a very small book that allows us to enjoy the correspondence between a famous writer and an aspiring poet. This exchange of letters began in 1903 thanks to a missive that Franz Xaver Kappus sent to R. M. Rilke, and continued for many years, until 1908.
Why is this little book important?. Because it allows us to read what Rilke thought about many subjects, for example life, poetry, and art. And because, as F. X. Kappus said, "when a prince is going to speak, silence must be made".
Kappus wanted to share the insights that Rilke gave him, and thus compiled his missives in "Letters to a young poet". The letters are few, and not overly long, but in this case the knowledge offered is certainly greater than the number of pages.
It is easier to show you what I mean by giving you an example... For instance, what Rilke's advices Franz to do, when he tells him to: "Go into yourself and test the deeps in which your life takes rise; at its source you will find the answer to the question whether you must create. Accept it, just as it sounds, without inquiring into it. Perhaps it will turn out that you are called to be an artist".
On the whole, I highly recommend this book to everybody. It will probably be more useful to aspiring writers, but people who simply enjoy literature will delight in it too :)
Belen Alcat

5.0 out of 5 stars The book that can change a way of living, 8 April 1999
This review is from: Letters to a Young Poet (Paperback)
A friend gave it to me when I was 18, and after all this years, I think that it is the best gift someone has done to me. After reading all it, I found that it was all marked that there were too many things to understand, to keep on mind, to keep on an special place of the mind. Things that are said, can help to look the life in a new form, more delightfull... looking all the details that are lost when you past them quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars words fail me!, 2 Mar 2010
J. Turner (Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Letters to a Young Poet (Paperback)
but I'll try. This is Rilke at his best, sympathetic, tender, stunning and awe inspiring. Throw away your new age psychobabble & dip into this little beauty instead, it's packed full of gems of wisdom, and should be required reading for any would be writer, poet and human being. Even on first reading, it catches the heart, and subsequent readings just allow one deeper access to the poetry inherent in every word. If you want to blow your mind, read this!

5.0 out of 5 stars everyone should have one, 29 Jun 2011
This review is from: Letters to a Young Poet (Paperback)
A great collection of thoughts, through letters from one man to another, on art, poetry, life and how to live it. Extraordinarily timeless ideas though written in a different era. I was inspired to read this after reading "The Hare with the Amber Eyes" as Rilke had a long and fascinating correspondence with Elizabeth Ephrussi and these letters are no less riveting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Letters to a Young Poet, 8 Aug 2010
This review is from: Letters to a Young Poet (Paperback)
A wonderful inspiring book. My first 'Rilke'. Took it with me on a recent trip abroad and read a letter each day together with the information given about where and how Rilke was when he wrote each one. It continues to provide nourishment whenever the need is felt to be connected to what is real in the human heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, 5 July 2009
This review is from: Letters to a Young Poet (Paperback)
One of the most moving and life changing books, in the form of letters written by someone so young at the time and yet with such an unbelievable insight into human life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Images so beautiful it hurts., 19 Jun 1999
This review is from: Letters to a Young Poet (Paperback)
A simply beautiful book. I highly recommend it to those who love the written word.

Letters to a Young Poet
Letters to a Young Poet by M. D. Herter Norton (Paperback - 27 Oct 1993)
6.29