5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book For Kids (and others) Who Like Maths and Stories, 20 Oct 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Man Who Counted: A Collection of Mathematical Adventures (Paperback)
I first read this book when I was eight (I am twelve now) and since then I have read it again lots of times. It is a great book for anybody, although I think it helps (for kids at least) if you understand the maths. The book is about a Persian man called Beremese, who starts off as a shepherd boy, but gradually becomes a recognised mathematician. The book is a collection of stories about his mathematical challenges and adventures on the way. These stories can be read just as stories, or you can try to work out the answers to the problems. I have read this book again and again, but some of the answers still baffle me.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's an amazing story, 1 May 1999
By A Customer
Every time I read this book, it never fails to amaze me. I am so wrapped up in the beauty and intricity of mathematics that I forget that I really "hate" doing math!! This book not only gives fun puzzles to solve, but also forces you to see the wonder of mathematics. I would say more, but I don't want to bore you.. all I can say is that it's enchanting, wonderful, and you will never, ever regret buying it nor will you ever look at math the same way again.

5.0 out of 5 stars An exceptional mix of storytelling and mathematics., 27 May 1998
By A Customer
I've read The Man Who Counted some 30/35 years ago in its original Brazilian edition. My book has desappeared long ago, but I've never forgotten its content. Last year, while vacationing in Rio, I was browsing through a book store and came across with a new edition of Tahan's book, also in the Portuguese language. Coming back home, I checked on Amazon.com and was delighted to learn that an English version of the Man Who Counted was available. I ordered a copy and gave it to my 9 year old son, who loved the book, as much as I did when I was about his age. Malba Tahan presents practical mathematical problems and curiosities by telling the story of Beremiz Samir, a man who lived in the ancient Arabia, and who had an incredible ability for counting and calculating. Beremiz was a simple and humble man that utilized his mathematical skills with remarkable fairness and common sense. Traveling from his hometown of Samarra to the ancient Baghdad, Beremiz, on his way, helps merchands, family members and friends to settle their personal disputes about money, properties, etc... Beremiz's mathematical wisdom spreads rapidly through the region, and soon he is invited to the Royal Palace to give advise to sheiks and to the King himself. The arithmrtic and calculations in The Man Who Counted are based in real problems ecountered by Beremiz and the people he meets on his way. Along with the mathematical curiosities, Tahan also teaches valuable lessons of life, all presented in a narrative which makes you read this book as a novel, and go back to parts of it once you're done. This book is specially recommended for young people. With its collection of curious practical problems, and great storytelling, The Man Who Counted will probably stir the attention even of those kids that "hate" math. The ones who appreciate math will definitely love this book and, very likely, will never forget it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never has mathematics been so easy to read!, 9 Jan 2001
This review is from: The Man Who Counted (Paperback)
I picked up this book by accident but have not regretted it for an instant. A fascinating read which has both entertained and intruiged me - just don't read it before you go to bed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep counting, 17 May 2009
I came across a very battered copy of this book while I was looking for something to read on holiday in someone else's house. I was spellbound from the very first chapter. I had to get one for myself, it is magic!
It takes you away from a stressful world of petty problems you have to get on with but hardly ever solve properly, to another land where someone manages to solve evrything so beautifully and cleanly just by thinking using numbers, fractions, equations, logical deduction, etc. Never thought maths could do that so well. We should all have a man who counted in the neighbourhood. And it is soooo relaxing, pefect for a holiday.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Wondeful World of Math without pain!, 22 Aug 2003
Eduardo Cassus (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Man Who Counted (Paperback)
This fantastic book will take you into a wonderful journey through the realm of fantasy and mathmatics. This brazilian author created for himself the personality of an arab storyteller that will mesmerize readers of all ages with the tales of Beremiz, the man who counted.
A book for the whole family to read! Math can and must be fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Maths is beautiful!, 12 Sep 1999
This review is from: The Man Who Counted (Paperback)
For the first time, I saw this interesting book in the library of my university. I guessed from its title that it must be an exciting book. When I started reading its first lines while I was standing in front of the book shelf, it seemed to me so interesting that immediately I took it home and very soon finished reading it. It takes the reader to a virtual, beatiful, exciting journey to several centuries ago, to the East, to the palace of the Baghdad's caliph,... along whit a wise, clever, intelligent Persian mathematician who can solve any problem that seems difficult for other people. To me, as an Iranian, it was much more interesting. A memorable book! I suggest you to read it. When you finish this book, your regret may be not reading it sooner!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Math book can be amazingly beautiful. A real shock!, 5 Aug 1999
By A Customer
I can be counted in the number of those who learned to fear and hate Math from the deep of their hearts. I read this book six months ago and I come back to it again and again ever since. It's first class literature, too. All I have to say is 'more from Tahan, please!'

5.0 out of 5 stars Oriental flavour and billiant puzzles., 21 May 2014
James Miller (Durham) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Capturing something of the flavour of the 1001 nights and mixing in a healthy dose of mathematics. The maths is never hard in the sense of requiring deep knowledge of difficult stuff, rather it plays with logic and applications of basic arithmetic, so that you find yourself having a stab at the puzzles (I especially liked the find the liars, find your coloured disk, and divide your camels).

I'd recommend this to anyone with a taste for the fiction of the orient and an enjoyment of puzzles.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Man Who Counted, 18 Jun 2010
D. RIDER (Gloucester, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is great fun as well as a great filler for maths lessons. I have read it for my personal enjoyment as well as using it in maths lessons for those moments when one needs a break from the ordinary grind, but also wants to keep the lesson in the maths area. It can also be used in other lessons, as tales of intriguing situations, as an introduction to middle eastern culture or just for fun. I thoroughly recommend it to everyone, even if you don't like maths or find it difficult; maybe especially in these circumstances (the maths is easy and you can ignore the numbers if you like and just enjoy the stories).

The Man Who Counted: A Collection of Mathematical Adventures
The Man Who Counted: A Collection of Mathematical Adventures by Patricia Reid Baquero (Paperback - 23 Mar 1993)
Used & New from: 6.85