5.0 out of 5 stars I thought I would hate this book, but ended loving it!, 12 July 2005
Kurt A. Johnson (Marseilles, IL USA) - See all my reviews
When I first began reading this book, I was disappointed, thinking that it was little more that an account of the various military campaigns undertaken during the reign of Queen Victoria, with no attempt to connect these wars with events within Britain itself.
However, very shortly indeed, I realized that this book was nothing short of a tour de force! The author uses wit and a thorough understanding of his subject to draw the reader in, both informing and entertaining!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic summary of an interesting and lively subject, 29 April 2002
C. M. CHOWN (UK) - See all my reviews
I can't recommend this book enough. Well written, full of action and informative without being judgemental. Really brings to life a controversial but fascinating period of Britain's history. Particularly good on the Indian Mutiny and North West Frontier. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars I thought I would hate this book, but ended loving it!, 7 Feb 2003
Kurt A. Johnson (Marseilles, IL USA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars very detailed, 28 Jun 2014
This review is from: Queen Victoria's Little Wars (Paperback)
Until recently I have not read much on the 19th Century British Army and found this book a mine of useful and interesting information. It's well written and easy to read, The author says right from the start that he has not tried to cover every battle that the Victorian army fought in which is possibly just as well as the book would have to be hundreds of pages bigger than it is. Well worth a read and a useful reference boo for the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of my all time Favorites, 19 Mar 2013
Woodland Worker (Sludgethorpe in Mire) - See all my reviews
I have re-read this so many times that I almost know it off by heart.
I usually have it in my campervan when I go traveling and it always keeps me amused

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely read, 19 Dec 2003
Mr. David A. Warwicker (London, England.) - See all my reviews
Very enjoyable.
Everything was relevant and interesting.
I especially like the authors way of approaching the subject and shall read more of his books.
I feel as though my understanding of the Victorian era has also been much enhanced as a side effect of this enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best overview of Victorian Colonial Wars, period., 2 Mar 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Queen Victoria's Little Wars (Paperback)
There are plenty of excellent books on British Colonial Wars, some general, some specific. If you only want to read one of them, this is it. Farwell's research is impeccable and his writing is without doubt the best in the field. BUY THIS BOOK!

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid account of Victorian military affairs, 18 Jun 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Queen Victoria's Little Wars (Paperback)
As with all of Mr. Farwells's other books, this is a classic. Rich in detail, unique characters and incredible events that spanned the British empire. I recommend this and any of his other works, I have read them all, and some day soon, I plan to begin reading them all once again. I even had the opportunity to speak with him on the phone once, a real class gentleman.

Queen Victoria's Little Wars
Queen Victoria's Little Wars by Karen Farwell (Paperback - 24 July 1985)