5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, and a revelation, 13 Jan. 2012
This review is from: The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home (Hardcover)
This book is very impressive, and I have found it extremely useful. I homeschool my children in English, as we live in Europe and they go to school in another European language. With the help of this book's comprehensive presentation of the resources available by subject and age, I found the writing course I teach my children from. I also found great critical thinking materials. She gives a guide to materials in each subject for each year.

Susan Bauer's homeschooling programme is very ambitious. It would yield a far, far better education than almost any school. However, I think it's possible. It wouldn't require expertise, because there are resources available (some better than others), and she covers the field and points you very specifically to the ones she likes; but it would be most of a very demanding full-time job and require self-discipline and commitment. However, it's possible to take aspects of her approach and apply them. This is what I've done.

I also got an incredibly useful insight from this book, which transformed my understanding of my children's learning processes. She presents a child's education as a succession of three developmental stages: first, up to age 11, when children absorb data, lots of it, and are learning to reason from the particular to the general (which is intuitive and easy); second, age 11-c. 14, when they should be taught to manipulate what they've learned and to analyse, play with structure, in other words to think down from the general to the particular (which is much harder, and which they aren't capable of when younger); and third, age c. 14 upwards, when they learn to manipulate arguments, to write, to persuade, to write from a point of view. I think this is absolutely, totally right. Perhaps all teachers know this; but I've never heard anyone say it before. Thinking like this made my teaching massively more productive and effective, and allowed me to focus much better.

My children are too old for it now, but if they were younger, I would use this author's writing course, The Complete Writer: Writing with Ease. It's superb. She is really tough, and it would really, really work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book every home educator should read, 13 July 2009
This is a great book. I originally borrowed it from a friend and then bought the latest edition. Its a very inspirational book. We have never planned to home educate in a school at home manner and its unlikely we ever will, but discovering this book has given us a very usable spine to keep in the back of our minds and also some great ideas and lists of resources. I really like the passion with which the book is written. It is very thorough and I have now invested in some of the other titles by the same author such as Story of the World and Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading.

I would recommend this to all home educators, its a great read even if you don't plan to follow it exactly or at all. The reviews of resouces are very helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very very good., 12 April 2013
Love it. I just started reading through it, but already see how much value is in the book. Planning to homeschool my children and this book is exactly what I need for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous interesting and inspirational homeschooling book, 7 April 2014
I would recommend anyone who is considering homeschooling their child(ren) to read this book, which is why i gave it the maximum star rating available, because although it is based around the American education system it still gives really useful information. This book will give the reader some ideas of what they can use for the kids when their homeschooling and I know that I will be using some of the things when I am homeschooling my son. From reading this book I have seen that once I start homeschooling my son I have realised that I will be an eclectic homeschooler because I will draw things from all different schooling theories as well as curriculums etc..

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book - so much potential., 10 Jun. 2012
MrsD (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
Love this book for planning a homeschool curriculum. Would also be good for additional education for a schooled child. Since reading this book I have totally changed my schooling plan and realised that so MUCH MORE is achievable!!
I baulked a little at the price but the book is huge and comprehensive. It is written for American families but very adaptable for elsewhere - you just have to tweak the American history ideas for your own country.
Recently I got an email saying I could trade this book on via Amazon but I would never sell!!! Good to know that you can do this though if you are considering a purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars What ambitions!, 21 Feb. 2013
The authors describe a classical education in detail, with a plan for a child at each year of schooling. Indepth info on all the subjects, and MASSES of resources suggested.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful reading. Some good ideas to draw on, 13 May 2015
Useful reading. Some good ideas to draw on. The suggested schedule is a little too structured and formal for us, but certainly has given me some ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great manual for homeschooling and non homeschooling parents, 17 Feb. 2014
Though written from US perspective, still a great read and I highly recommend. It gives thorough direction, on each subject from kindergarten/pre-school level upwards from classical education perspective. Even if you do not home-school, I recommend you give it a read! - Homeschooling Dad

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy to follow guide for new parents, 10 Oct. 2012
I bought this book when my kids were 4 and I immediately realized that there were lot of things about teaching kids to read , to do maths, etc, were out-of-date as they were based on my own experience 30+ years ago. I am really glad that there is something which shows us how to teach in a systematic way.

5.0 out of 5 stars The author explains everything in an understandable manner and it is an easy guide to help and support you along the way, 11 Sept. 2014
Zainab (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
A must have for every home-home-educator and guardians of children who are being home educated. The author explains everything in an understandable manner and it is an easy guide to help and support you along the way.
Fast and efficient delivery, great service by seller,

The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home
The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home by Jessie Wise (Hardcover - 26 May 2009)