on 22 July 2013
I'm a fan of black and white photography, although not necessarily the biggest fan of Elliott Erwitt, as I think his work can be a bit kitsch/commercial. His work is certainly strong, though.

I bought this book on the strength of one or two images I found resulting from a google image search, so a bit of a longshot, really. I try not to do this too much as it's a shame if you're disappointed, but not many of the images from this book have been published elsewhere, it seems.

I'm really pleased with this book. Published in 1991 it covers beach photos from the US, the UK, Europe, Brazil and elsewhere from the fifties onwards, and it does have a slightly retrospective style; you could think it was published in the late seventies. I like that; it's not overblown as books can be these days, it's sensibly small and modest at 9 inches wide, 10½ inches; high, and this allows the photos, all with a thin black margin, to shine out from the white pages where they have a good, wide margin.

If, like me, you live outside the US you will almost certainly have to order it as an import - go for it!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse