4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent critical analysis of a Man

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the Worst Books I've Ever Read, Don't Waste Your Time
Published on 14 Mar 1999

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent critical analysis of a Man, 9 May 1999
This review is from: Frederick Douglass (Paperback)
I am curious to know the previous reviewer found William McFeely's observations/analysis of Frederick Douglas racist. I too found a lot of overly subjective tones within the work of Mr. McFeely's analysis of Frederick Douglas, but I also found that his analysis captured, for me, Frederick Douglas' strong positive character, and sense of universal humanity. Mr. McFeely's analysis, while in some instances deductive, yet subjective in others, presented a man - not a God, who held fast to is universal convictions, but who was also subject to human frailties. Mr. McFeely's analysis of Douglas has reinforced my admiration in Frederick Douglas even more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent biography!, 5 Aug 1999
This review is from: Frederick Douglass (Paperback)
I, also, cannot understand why the first reader found this biography on Fredrick Douglass, racist. Personally, I found it completely the opposite. For the first time, I truly felt I understood the man behind the public image.

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the Worst Books I've Ever Read, Don't Waste Your Time, 14 Mar 1999
This review is from: Frederick Douglass (Paperback)
I was so excited to see a new book on Frederick Douglass I didn't take time to preview the book. A classic mistake. The book is full of assumptions and innuendo. It seems the author was trying to destroy Frederick Douglass' place in history. There were too many insulting statements based on little or no fact. I tried to keep an open mind while reading the book, but the more I read the more disgusted I became. What the author may consider conservative and controversial; I consider a racist piece of trash.

Frederick Douglass
Frederick Douglass by Ws Mcfeely (Hardcover - 24 April 1991)
Used & New from: £0.83