5.0 out of 5 stars Well crafted page turner
A well crafted plot with good characterisation from a story engineering perspective with more or less all the right ingredients in the right place. Coupled with Brandon's vivid imagination it succeeds in keeping you turning the pages and building dramatic tension. The prologue is a great hook into the story which you can read for free, so if that appeals to you jump on...
Published 25 days ago by AGH

3.0 out of 5 stars I did enjoy Steelheart, it sets scene perfectly for the next ...
This is the first Brandon Sanderson book I have read and not a book I would normally choose as I don't read much in this genre. I did enjoy Steelheart, it sets scene perfectly for the next Reckoners adventure. The characters are all interesting and well thought out and the plot moves along very quickly with plenty of action. I would recommened this book to anyone who just...
Published 1 month ago by Ms. J. Manders

‹ Previous | 19 10 1115 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars a cracking yarn, 3 Oct 2013
A really entertaining read - another new world and a new system which works so smoothly, just like many of Sandersons worlds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome!!!!!, 27 Sep 2013
I didn't know whether to buy this book at first as it was a little bit different from the normal types of fantasy I normally read. I'm really glad I did though as it was extremely well thought out story and has a really engaging main character, David. The book just has that mix of realism (is that the way to describe it?) in the story that pulls you in. The Epics aren't nice guys, they're corrupted by their power but at the same time everything's very, well, human.... You could imagine people like that and the disappointment, the hurt comes across as real.

The only downside is that I'd have liked a little more fleshing out of the characters but it's a fast paced book and good because of this. All in all a really good, unusual and thought provoking take.

5.0 out of 5 stars Up to his high standard, 27 Sep 2013
I've been waiting to read this as soon as I heard about the concept: Superheroes who aren't really so heroic as the comics would have us believe, and the effects of that on the rest of us ordinary mortals. Then I read the prologue posted up some months ago, and was hooked. Is the rest worthy of that taste? Yes, of course. Fast paced, with many fights and plot twists - unfortunately the main one is quite guessable, but still enjoyable. For downsides, it's a bit too short, and the reader might feel the plot is an echo of previous Sanderson books in places. Apart from that, I think this is one of his better efforts, and I have read most of them.

Now bring on "Words of Radiance", please.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Easy Read., 25 Oct 2013
Christopher Sproson (Lincoln UK) - See all my reviews
My acquisition of a Kindle has started me reading again after several years. As a Science fiction fan in the past, I was attracted to Steelheart after reading the reviews.
I found the book an easy read,well written and a good story. It's fair to say it won't be in my all time top 10, but I never thought it would be before I started it.
I will have no reservations in buying additional novels written by Brandon Sanderson.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give Me More, 18 Nov 2013
When you think you have read everything of this genre think again !!
Brandon Sanderson always writes something new and different that other authors never do (always sticking to their same old trusty formula)
I'm not going to rabbit on about the plot and characters, because you have got to read it yourselves !!
Well done Mr Sanderson.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing, 22 April 2014
Books are friends (Anywhere and Everywhere) - See all my reviews
I admire Sanderson. Read every book he ever wrote. I believe this is the reason for my disappointment here - I know his potential, and this book doesn't come near to meeting it. The characters are shallow (so non-Sanderson!) and the plot is not enticing enough to create the usual suspense and fun-filled experience in Sanderson's books.

2.0 out of 5 stars Epic disappointment, 17 Feb 2014
Deckard (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Okay firstly, this was my first foray into the work of Brandon Sanderson, and I decided to go with his most recent work, figuring that it would more than likely be some of his best writing, given the series that have gone before. All I can say is... really? This is the guy chosen to pick up the mantle of Robert Jordan? The guy who's academic knowledge and vocational insight into all things writing related has led to award winning podcasts and invaluable lectures? It's so hard to believe as you move past the prologue and into the book proper, that I even had to just double check that it was Brandon Sanderson, and not some 80s style straight to VHS style kung-fu movie imposter.. The idea for the book, a world in which attained superpowers have ultimately led to nothing but the corruption of man, and a society ruled by villainous tyrants with only human resistance, is superb and kicks off brilliantly with a decent set-up for a very personal and exciting foray into the steel cities of the books post apocalyptic style. But then, the story kicks in... and with that comes what I can only really describe as some truly shocking writing. There's endless repetition, "Steelheart was impervious to damage; he couldn't be hurt" etc, the pace of action scenes were ruined by rambling narrative and were so terribly blocked they were a confusing mess; then the evil tyrannous "Fortuity" abruptly tells his subordinate not to kill our main character for absolutely no reason (except to get him out of an impossible spot). But worst of all is the constant use of this awful "Of course, everyone knew XYZ" internal monologue. Surely this is writing 101 isn't it? Don't they call this "As you know Bob?" dialog? The glaring lazy hand of the author shovelling information at you in the most obvious way imaginable? It doesn't matter how you dress it up, this is dreadful stuff. And from Brandon? THE Brandon? How does that happen? It's just a confusing mess. I was under the impression this was a Young Adult book (certainly the violence, dark edge and thematic content would support that), but since when does YA mean you can WRITE as amateurishly as you choose? From what I remember, when we were 12 years old we were reading the Crucible, Lord of the Flies and starting out on Shakespeare, so that age tag is no excuse for this kind of quality. In short Steel heart was a really nice idea ruined by execution. Perhaps your kids might absolutely love it, but it kind of seems a bit lost somewhere in a chasm between target audience and quality. Think I will check out Way of Kings and see how that goes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable, 4 Oct 2013
A real fantastic book that gave a new perspective on the superhero genre. Great characters with clear and immersive world building. I couldn't put the book down and would recommend it as a young adult book, especially to reluctant boy readers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Original and entertaining, 31 Oct 2013
I like his fresh approach to fantasy with his style of creating new concepts and worlds in one book with no long winded background detail yet still managing a vivid backdrop for his characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another amazing Brandon Sanderson book!, 22 Oct 2013
The book starts out very well and builds into an amazing story.
If you have yet to read a Brandon Sanderson book then this would be a great place to start!

‹ Previous | 19 10 1115 | Next ›

Steelheart (Reckoners)
Steelheart (Reckoners) by Brandon Sanderson (Hardcover - 24 Sep 2013)
Used & New from: 10.09