5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent introduction to the king of pulp., 16 Dec 2011
A classic road tale from my favourite pulp author. It claims to be Lansdale's first novel for young adults but to be honest it stands up to the best of his adult work. There's not a word wasted on the page and the story rips along in classic Lansdale style mixing larger than life characters with homespun philosophy and a handful of adventure. Once again he seems to be able to capture that awful moment when a child realises it won't stay a child forever and stumbles into the adult world on its own terms. A true master of his craft.

5.0 out of 5 stars a damn good read and it's certainly still enjoyable for us adults ;^), 21 Feb 2014
This review is from: All the Earth, Thrown to the Sky (Paperback)
Joe R Lansdale was introduced to me by a friend who ran a second hand book store. I've not looked back since. Cheers Lee!!!
Whenever I see one of his books I'll take a punt and buy it.
If I'm honest I prefer the Hap and Leonard books but then again who doesn't!!!
That said I have yet to be disappointed by any of his books.
I saw this one on Amazon and thought "Lansdale book I've not seen before: Buy It Now!!!"
When it arrived I was somewhat surprised that in my enthusiasm I'd failed to notice that it was written for young adults!!!
Oops. Well no actually it's a damn good book and while the language and brutality are toned down a little for the audience is still packs a punch. It's a damn good read and it's certainly still enjoyable for us adults... all I need to do is persuade my young adult to read it: not that I bought it for her!

5.0 out of 5 stars hes a genius, 5 Feb 2014
my mind boggles at the skill of this writer. i discovered his work by lucky accident a few years ago and absolutely love everything of his ive read so far. The only exception being what is (to my mind) a very bizarre book (flaming zeppelins, the adventures of ned the seal) which i hated. Perhaps i just didnt 'get' it?
This is a poignant tale told with empathy and humour and a good example of what you will find in his 'stories'. To me hes a natural story teller and writes vivid characters who inhabit worlds so cunningly and subtly drawn, that before you can say 'chapter two' you are so hooked and involved that you cant put down that book til the story is done.
I have to admit to being a particular fan of the Hap and Leonard series, where the anti-heroes blunder through increasingly surreal adventures. Good guys who could appear bad, they always keep me on-side by staying believable and fallible.Often they reach the end of the book bruised and broken- sometimes both mentally and physically-and invariably out of pocket, but as all good guys must, they always win the day and leave me hungry to hear of their next escapade. Try him, I know you'll like him!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 Oct 2014
This review is from: All the Earth, Thrown to the Sky (Paperback)
Another brilliant read from a wonderful author, Joe R Lansdale at his best.

All the Earth, Thrown to the Sky
All the Earth, Thrown to the Sky by Joe R. Lansdale (Paperback - 11 Sep 2012)