1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Steampunk, Faeries and wow!, 9 Feb 2012
Steampunk meets Faerie! I never thought I'd see the day, so of course, I simply had to read this and it was amazing! To top it off, just look at the stunning cover, I mean really look at it, it's beautiful! Anyway, moving on to my thoughts...

It's been a while since I got so completely lost in a complex and beautifully built world and though at times Lovecraft and the other places in this novel were pretty freaky, I still had the bizarre desire to explore this incredible fictional city and that amazing Grayson mansion.

The idea of the Necrovirus was truly terrifying, not knowing on a day to day basis if you're going to wake up crazy is something no one would like to face, especially if all the evidence tells you that eventually you will. As for the ghouls and other creepy things, I would not like to go out walking after dark in this world as it just sounds too terrifying to contemplate.
Even the Fae in this book are darker and scarier than in anything else I've read and I wanted to punch a certain Fae character in the face multiple times, and though I spent a portion of the book silently yelling at Aoife (pronounced Ee-fah, for those who are wondering. I looked it up, it's an old Gaelic name by origin) not to do certain things, I have to admit that girl has guts when dealing with the Fae.

This book isn't short on romance either and lets just say the love interest is one amazing guy. He isn't some over the top 'I can't live without you' sort, but his and Aoifa's relationship is genuine, develops slowly, is a bit funny and is pretty heart-warming and wow, is he a bit of an enigma.
The ending took me by surprise and I don't just mean the literal ending, I mean several events leading up to it too including some pretty shocking revelations and a bit of a cliffhanger finish that has made me really want to read the next book. It should be arriving soon in the post, and my wait will be over! Awesome.

The Iron Thorn
The Iron Thorn by Caitlin Kittredge (Paperback - 14 Feb 2012)