on 29 November 2012
I bought this as a present for my husband, as we both wanted to learn about Chinese poetry. It is a beautiful, tactile book to look and hold (although the cover and pages are quite thin so I don't think it's one we'll bring on holiday if we want it to remain lovely).

The content is sensibly set out - poems are arranged by dynasty and then by poet. Each dynasty's section starts with a contextual introduction, and each poet's section starts with a very readable biographical introduction, followed by a selection of poems.

It's good for readers who want an academic introduction to Chinese poetry (there is a long essay on Chinese poetic form at the front) but is equally good for casual readers who just want to read a few lines from time to time. What I most appreciate is the inclusion of juicy bits of history and legend scattered throughout the book in footnotes to the poems and in the prose - I found them fascinating and illuminating. There are only occasional footnotes, and they don't interrupt the flow of the poems.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on 19 January 2011
one of the three books of poems expressing what is common across we 'Children of Africa' and a joy to have to hand
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again