5.0 out of 5 stars Diana Wynne Jones's essays are as entertaining as her fiction, 21 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Reflections (Hardcover)
I was so sad when I heard that DWJ had died last year. She was such an amazing writer, with a (literally) fantastic imagination, so funny & able to be serious simultaneously. She wrote beautifully, but never pretentiously. There is a certain amount of repetition in this book, which is inevitable with a diverse collection of short & long articles covering a very long & active career. I especially appreciated her critique of the Lord of the Rings: Peter Jackson should have read it before messing around with the narrative & characters in his movies. Her discussions of her own books are fascinating, & inspired me to buy one thaat I hadn't already read. Neil Gaiman's foreword is very moving too: he loved Diana and knew how under-appreciated she was. She should certainly have won many more awards than she did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 27 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Reflections (Hardcover)
It's just amazing to have this collection of Diana Wynne Jones' essays and lectures when we thought we'd have no more of her wonderful writing. There is inevitably some repeats and overlap, but this is unimportant. How lovely to find out so much about the background to our favourite stories. There's a whole level of Fire and Hemlock that I shall now have to dig out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 6 Dec. 2012
Fraser Brown (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reflections (Kindle Edition)
I still haven't finished reading this book, but having read just Jones' paper on The Lord of the Rings, I can tell already the rest will be fascinating!
In her characteristic style of quirky, yet simple to understand, Jones unravelled one side of Tolkien's trilogy, and makes fantastic analysis of all the literary techniques that he uses. She knows her stuff!
I wouldn't recommend this for young fans of Jones' fictional work, but if you have read her books and are now old enough to appreciate the craftsmanship of symbolism, then this will make a fantazmagorical read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book from Diana Wynne Jones, 7 May 2014
This review is from: Reflections (Hardcover)
This is one of Diana Wynne Jones' last books and a delight to read. She received a World Fantasy Award for Lifetime Achievement in 2007, as well as two Mythopoeic Awards and the Guardian Fiction Award for Charmed Life. Her thoughts on writing and literature in general are a joy to read. Wonderful to have this book even though she is gone from us.

5.0 out of 5 stars On stories, and the power of words, 18 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Reflections (Hardcover)
This is a must-read book for anyone who has a love of stories and of making thing up. It’s also the book to read if you’ve read even just one Diana Wynne Jones book and loved it, let alone if you’ve read them all. There’s a handy bibliography at the back with a list of all her books and I note that I think I still have a few to read. This is both shocking and comforting, as I can’t ever really imagine not having a new DWJ book on my to read shelf.

It’s hard to know how to review this book in precisely the same way that it is hard to pick apt quotes from it. If I were to we quote every bit that needed to be quoting it would be 320 pages long and the book I have just read.

So rather than quote any more, I say “just read the damn book!”. You really won’t regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars fascinating, 12 July 2013
This review is from: Reflections (Hardcover)
As someone who has always loved fantasy, and writes her own, this was almost like a set text book. It is a fascinating and inspiring insight into writing fantasy and the myriad worlds of fantasy

Reflections
Reflections by Diana Wynne Jones (Hardcover - 3 May 2012)