TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 30 September 2012
9-year-old Marty has a very annoying older sister aged 11, whose name is Melissa. Marty's a bit of a tomboy while Melissa's rather more the girly type, and they have almost nothing in common. They live with both of their parents, and have no pets. Marty and Melissa have never got on; they have separate bedrooms at the start of this story, but because their mother needs a room in the house to do her sewing, she asks Marty to move into her big sister's bedroom. This causes more problems than ever, for example they have very different ideas as to how the bedroom should be decorated. Also, Melissa is very neat and tidy, whereas Marty's life is messy and chaotic. On one occasion they have an argument which ends in Marty pushing her older sister out of the upper bunk bed leading to a hospital visit for Melissa, where she stays overnight. This turns out to be a good thing, however, because Marty starts to realise how much her sister means to her, and out of guilt she tries to sew back together the doll that was damaged in their fight.

My 9-year-old daughter says of this book "It's the best book that Jacqueline Wilson has written, and I've read at least ten. It really draws your attention to Marty's feelings and because I also have an older sister, I understood what she was feeling. I know what it's like to be bossed around just like Marty is in this story. I've already read it three times and will definitely read it again. It's an easy book to read and finish it in one go without stopping."

So that's a thorough endorsement from a girl right at the heart of this book's target age-group, and makes me very pleased that I bought it. It's not difficult to see why Jacqueline Wilson is such a successful writer of childrens' books - she knows exactly how to plug into how they think.
on 1 July 2012
"The worst thing about my sister" is a book that you never get bored of. It is quite a funny book as well, also the illustrations are great. This would be suitable for readers over 8 yrs old. Jacqueline Wilson is my fave book writer.
on 1 January 2014
This book is about two sisters called Martina and Melissa. Martina likes to be called Marty.Marty is a bit of a tomboy,but Melissa is very girlie. She likes make up,teddies and the colur pink.

Marty and Melissa never got along,but when Melissa has a dreadful fall Marty finally realised how much she cared and loved her.

Another super tale by a super author.

I would recommend this book for children ages 7 and upwards.
on 29 May 2012
I choose to read the worst thing about my sister because I really enjoy reading Jacqueline Wilson's books as they are really interesting and relate to stuff that happen in real life.
I book is about a girl called Martina (Marty) and her older sister Melissa, Marty and Melissa hated each other they called each other names, the liked to always fight and always told on each other on the littlest thing.

Melissa and Martina's mum decided to open her own dress business so Martina had to leave her Marty den for a girly pink room, their mum thought it would be good idea but she never realised how much Melissa loved her girly bed, Marty loved her bunk beds and her weird animals. Melissa hated that she had to give up her girly pink bed for Marty's grey, old bunk beds. Their dad had to made them their own units as Melissa didn't want Marty's junk in her girly bedroom. At the end of the story they realised that they actually loved each other and actually did not fight anymore and they ended up sharing a room longer than they thought and they grew to love sharing with each other.
on 23 January 2014
My daughter thoroughly enjoyed this book...Extremely good and would definitely recommend to all children! 10/10! Good use of words to challenge my daughter!
on 10 February 2013
I really like this book as a quick read as I am quite a quick reader. This book is probably my 2nd Jacqueline Wilson book and she is a good author. I recommend this book for people 10+ because the end is a bit sad.
*spoiler alert* her sister hits her head and gets knocked out and was thought to be dead when she recovers.
I don't think I will read another J W book for another few months but I it is nice to read a book from her for a break from your preference author.
It could of had a few more details about the dad and mum and Jaydene but ho hum pigs bum....
*summary* Good easy book to read and quite enjoyed a few chapters each night before bed or just to read some during the day for a while.....GOOD BOOK.
on 1 April 2015
This review is regards the audio CDs and not the books. I bought this for my daughters after first having bought "Sleepovers" and "Best Friends" - the former being absolutely wonderful and the latter being pretty interesting if a little long-winded. This purchase was a HUGE disappointment. No disrespect to Jacqueline Wilson, but she should stick to writing and leave the reading of her books to professionals. Her reading dragged and had very little subtlety of emotion. I'm sorry to say that both my girls (and I - as we were all in the car listening to it together) couldn't listen to it for longer than 15 minutes. I kept hoping it would get better, but it was truly cringe-worthy.
on 23 June 2013
This book was v enjoyable. I had fun reading it.
Jacqueline Wilson is my favourite author and her books keep getting
Better and better.
on 6 April 2013
I really like this book and I would recommend it to children over the age of 7. I really like how it is realistic to life and how sisters can be the way that Martina and Melissa act. I like how they are completely different than each and don't seem to like each other but they come through for each other at the end. They know that they love each other really but don't show it. But we all know that there is always a bit of sister rivalry!!!!!!!!!!! This book is great BUT I think it ends a bit too quickly like most of Jacqueline Wilson books. Overall as a young reader I think it is very good but needs improving towards the end.
on 13 March 2016
I borrowed this book from my local library and thought "oh, this is by Jacqueline Wilson it has got to be good," and I was right.

The story followes a young girl called Marty who is a tomboy and loves all of her cuddly toy collection. She has an older sister called Melisa who annoys her at every possible opportunity. Marty and Melisa are completly different in every way: Melisa is girly and loves pink, make-up and boys whilst Marty is a tomboy and likes dens, football and of course her wonderful imaginary super-hero Mighty Mart. But when mum starts up her own dress-making business, the girls are forced to share a room! Arguments and squabbles come and go but Marty and Melisa never seem to stop fighting! But then, a terrible accident occurs and Marty realises she loves her sister more than she thought she did...

Rows, guilt, bullys, accidents and embarrasment- this book has it all! I was delighted at the end when everything slotted into place for the family. I highly recommend this book to all ages. In fact, 100% you shoud go buy this book! Go get it : )