1,599 Reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars So wanted to like it but could have done with a good edit
Published 13 months ago by Denise Kong

5.0 out of 5 stars A remarkable book, 17 Jun 2013
This review is from: Life After Life (Kindle Edition)
A seemingly small event can change the direction of a life completely: a chance encounter with a stranger who harms you or a conversation that detains you which means you miss bumping into the person, a meeting with the German you fall in love with and marry or being helped up from a fall by an Englishman. Life is full of moments which change the direction a person travels in and we have all wished we could go back and change something, or do it over again in a different way. And Life After Life explores this theme intricately, with sympathy, compassion and superb writing and plotting.

Ursula keeps being born, in 1910, living, dying and being born again within the same family but her decisions and reactions to events change, sometime nudged by a sense that something must be avoided at all costs, and her life keeps going off in different directions as she lives through the turbulent events of the first half of the 20th century. Sometimes you desperately want her to die so that a particular cycle will end and in others you want her to fight through and succeed.

Atkinson crafts Ursula's repeated lives beautifully and you are with her, rooting for her, in every one. But it is not just Ursula we get to know through her successive lives but also her family, friends, brief acquaintances and villains. We see not only the different directions Ursula takes but the impact of life and events on the people around her. Even the characters who make brief appearances are rich with detail and the main characters continue to grow through Ursula's lives along with our greater intimacy with Ursula herself. How many times can we read of a character being born? Well the answer is many times and still never be tired of it. A single event in Ursula's life can be seen from multiple viewpoints and as we progress through different lives we see tiny and different details which make the repeated experience of the event richer and more complete.

Life After Life deserves 5 stars for the complexity of its plotting, the depth of characterisation, the scope of the story and for being a magnificent piece of writing. This is a novel that stayed with me long after the final sentence.

5.0 out of 5 stars `Don't you wonder sometimes,' Ursula said. `If just one small thing had been changed, in the past...', 13 Mar 2013
L. H. Healy "Books are life, beauty and truth." (Cambridgeshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Life After Life (Hardcover)
`Don't you wonder sometimes,' Ursula said. `If just one small thing had been changed, in the past, I mean....surely things would be different.'

I admit I am a big fan of Kate Atkinson's writing, having read most of her previous novels, with a particular fondness for the Jackson Brodie stories, my favourite probably being `When Will There Be Good News?'. I was therefore so excited to hear about a new novel coming from her and filled with great anticipation upon starting to read.

Life After Life didn't disappoint me; I think this is a very special book in many ways. It is imbued with the sparkling prose and the dark humour that is so often evident in Kate Atkinson's works. But this book features something rather clever and wonderful in terms of the structure and storyline.

The main character, Ursula Todd is born in 1910, during a heavy snowstorm, but sadly dies immediately, there's no time for the doctor to reach her. Then we read that Ursula Todd is born in 1910 during a heavy snowstorm, and lives. She has another chance, another start at life, and this pattern, this unique quality, stays with her as she lives, and lives again, and changes the direction of her life, having chance after chance to get it just right. What a premise!

We accompany Ursula as she lives through many of the major events of the twentieth century, with her personal highs and lows recounted, then changed, as she has another chance at her life, and then another. She takes a different route, and a different course is set. Kate Atkinson writes of the personal experiences of one woman in a way that makes for compelling reading. I loved Ursula's family and thought they were also all vividly brought to life, in particular her mother Sylvie. However clever the structure, I never felt distanced from Ursula as a character, as a woman. She endures some of the hardest times, the saddest events, and the reader grows close to her and hopes for better next time.

I wasn't sure quite what to expect in terms of how this novel would work, but I gave myself time to get into the novel, through the early, often very short episodes as Ursula begins to find her way. I was soon drawn into Ursula's life, her family, the events, and I was keen to return to them every time I picked the book up, little knowing what would await me.

When Ursula lives again, sometimes very little has changed, sometimes a lot is different. There are some thrilling moments, dramatic and tragic; then the reader realises that there is another chance at the story and can breathe again - it's quite an experience reading this book. Usually after another go, things are better, but Ursula's life demonstrates that there are always hard choices, difficult relationships; there is always some sadness, even when she has had more than one chance to live through a particular time. It's a powerful and emotional experience to read this story.

This is by turns a surprising, unnerving, moving and rewarding read and it sets itself apart with a clever structure to the narrative and a distinctive main character who we live through different experiences with, over and over again, as we read. It's a fascinating and fantastic concept that really made me think as I read. What does this mean for fate? What if we could all change things, or go back and have a second chance?

3.0 out of 5 stars So wanted to like it but could have done with a good edit, 8 Aug 2013
This review is from: Life After Life (Hardcover)
Life After Life follows a female protagonist, Ursula Tod from birth in 1910, through the different ways in which life would have unravelled if Ursula had died at various hair raising points in her life. A couple of World Wars, as well as other tragic scenarios, are involved, and you can't fault the detailed recreations of these grim times. Also intricate plotting is one Atkinson's strong points, and this skill is well put to use here to develop this complicated conceit of the different endings.

It's an interesting concept and if anyone was going to be the writer to pull it off, it would have been Kate Atkinson. However the overall result is a bit... technical. It throws the usual patterns of character development up into the air, so that while Hugh (Ursula's father), Pamela, Maurice and Teddy (the siblings) have pretty constant characteristics throughout, Ursula's mother and Ursula, for example, herself end up with some wildly varying characteristics in the different endings. This makes it difficult to identify with the main character or sympathise with her.

Some of the story branches are clearly cul-de-sacs early on in their development and go on for too long, and although I have to say that Atkinson does a good job with not making the actual gory endings too predictable, it's difficult for the reader to invest too much in a character when you know the end is nigh and a fresh one is on its way. Some of the endings too have Ursula come across as a bit passive - a litany of tragic events that propel her towards doom.

On the positive side, this will stay with you after you've finished it. Each plight of Ursula's is mapped out with Atkinson's trademark precise, almost detached prose, emphasising the catastrophic by contrasting it with the matter of fact. But it could have done with a good edit - the length of some of the sub-stories really verges on the tedious. And since the one constant, stand out thing that follows Ursula is the shadow of her alternative histories, which compels her to do the odd irrational things to avoid her fate, it would have been more involving to see more made of this.

It's worth a read because it has ambition behind it and is memorable, but it's difficult to like. It's interesting, but with a good edit, it could have been more than interesting, it could have made you feel as well as think.

See full review at [...]

3.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating read, but I can't recommend it unreservedly., 11 May 2013
L. J. Roberts (Oakland, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Life After Life (Hardcover)
First Sentence: A fug of tobacco smoke and damp clammy air hit her as she entered the café.

Ursula is born...and dies...and is born again. Each life lasts a little longer. With some, we pick up where the previous left off. With others, she has been able to change her course and, possibly, the course of history.

Atkinson uses her unique voice to tell us a story of reincarnation, but not in the usual woo-woo sense. In fact, she does not follow the classic philosophy of reincarnation as the character of Ursula is always reborn at the same point in time as the same person. You know each life will end; you know the next life will show zen-like progression. The difference, however, is that there are times when Ursula can alter an event which will then change the course for that life.

This is no romantic fantasy; some lives are decidedly unpleasant. What the book lacked, for me, is a sense of connection. The one certain element, in real life, is that life will end. Whether there is reincarnation or eternity, we don't know and it is the not knowing which gives life import and significance. Atkinson has removed that gravitas. While this makes the reading of each life interesting, it does remove some sense of really caring about the fate of the character. What is also missing is any real sense of how Ursula's life fits in with those around her; how she impacts them, and they her.

That's not to say, one doesn't become involved. Absolutely, you do but almost in the way of watching an inevitable accident. In that, it reminded me of "The Time Traveler's Wife" as one chapter is painfully grim. In another, Ursula commits an act which could have changed world history. Unfortunately, we're given no follow-up; we have to surmise the outcome for ourselves as her life starts again.

Atkinson does provide us with a character about whose life we become curious. She creates an excellent sense of time. The pre-war and World War II years become real to those of us who didn't live them. She writes excellent dialogue. There are elements of philosophy, satire and humor, as well as introspection..."Ursula craved solitude but she hated loneliness, a conundrum that she couldn't even begin to solve."

"Life After Life" is a fascinating read; it's compelling and certainly kept me reading to the end. It is intriguing and thought-provoking, occasionally grim and rather depressing, and undoubtedly not for everyone. Atkinson is an excellent author, one who ordinarily ranks among my favorites. Although I am very glad I read this book, I can't recommend it unreservedly.

LIFE AFTER LIFE (Novel-Ursula-England-1910) - Good
Atkinson, Kate - Standalone
A Reagan Arthur Book, Little, Brown and Company, 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars One of the most frustrating books you'll read all year..., 10 Mar 2014
This review is from: Life After Life (Kindle Edition)
On a snowy night in 1910, Ursula is born and almost immediately dies. Then she's born again, makes a little further into childhood and dies again. Oh, I'm forgetting the previous life where she makes it to adulthood in order to be in a certain German café in the late nineteen thirties in order to have coffee and cake with a certain German politician. Confused yet? You will be. Life After Life tracks the multiple lives and deaths of a woman who lives through (or not, as the case may be) the many turbulent events of the twentieth century.

I love Kate Atkinson's style of writing and am a big fan of the Jackson Brodie books. Therefore, my utter frustration with this book (and those who manage to read the phrase 'darkness falls' for the fifteenth time and turn the page to realise that you're back in bloody 1910 again without uttering a scream have my admiration) is that the good bits are so damn good. The whole long section that examines Ursula's life (lives) during WW2 is incredibly powerful, for instance, and many of the characters are wonderfully drawn.

But.. but... it's just too damn clever for its own good. At the end of it, darkness didn't fall, but annoyance fairly swamped me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Compelling but strange..., 20 Feb 2014
This review is from: Life After Life (Kindle Edition)
I read this as part of a book club group and although it was a good read, I found it strange in a few ways.
The beginning was confusing, there were so many characters, I found it difficult to get into the book straight away, it was one of those novels where you had to keep going as the storyline was captivating and I felt it would go somewhere.

That's the thing though that let's the book down for me. It didn't. The book got better as about a third of the way through I was getting bored of the same beginning over and over again but after a while, Ursula's life started back where it had left off. I felt that somewhere along the line, we would learn why this kept happening to her or why she started again at later stages of her life but this was something that we were never told (unless I have missed something). Her life story was obviously very interesting and I enjoyed hearing about the way things panned out differently depending on what she did or didn't do. Maybe that was the whole point, to lead to discussions as to whether this is the way life pans out for us all.

I enjoyed the book but certainly couldn't rate it any higher than average. If there had of been an ending that would have answered my questions then I certainly would have rated it higher. It's hard to review without giving any spoilers but the beginning of the book talks about someone with a shot gun who fires and when I got to this part at the ending, I thought that would be the whole point of the book and would then give some kind of reasoning behind it. Unfortunately, it then started again which made no sense to me and left me feeling a bit let down by the storyline.

3.0 out of 5 stars Still confused, 5 Mar 2014
This review is from: Life After Life (Kindle Edition)
Although thought provoking and some of the characters were good, I'm still not sure about this book. I couldn't keep up with the hopping backwards and forwards and the end was very disappointing, as I was Hoping for more clarity. Maybe I'm just thick but I just didn't really get it and I'm very believing in reincarnation, I just couldn't figure out which life was which sometimes and got very confused. I would have liked Hugh 's character and his relationship with Ursula to be more developed, it was too much about Sylvie. Saying all that though I was intrigued and curious to find out what Ursula would be up to next and looked forward to reading it every night before bed. 50/50 on if I would recommend it or not, perhaps only to people with patience and perseverance

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 16 Oct 2013
Macey89 - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Life After Life (Hardcover)
On a snowy night in 1910, a baby is born. The doctor is unable to reach her due to the weather, and she dies. Or the doctor makes it in time, and she is saved. Or a mother's instinct pulls her back from the edge, and she lives. This is how Ursula Todd's life begins, again and again.

Over the course of her life, Ursula continues to die and be reborn, over and over again. Each life brings with it a different set of choices, different experiences and a different fate. Her family and certain key characters throughout the book feature in many different incarnations, their lives at some times entirely separate and at some times intrinsically linked with Ursula's. Her decisions see her take a variety of paths - sometimes to the London war office and sometimes to Germany, sometimes as a mistress and sometimes as a wife, sometimes happy and sometimes utterly alone.

The main point of the novel seems to be to demonstrate how the smallest thing can impact on your entire life. Ursula is continually faced with deadly situations, but some lingering feelings and an uncanny sense of déjà vu from a past life continue to propel her forward. Some incidents are harder to avoid than others - a deadly outbreak of Spanish Influenza proves particularly hazardous. In other cases, a few offhand words spoken here or there can change the course of an entire life.

War is a major theme throughout the book, and in many strands it is a pervading influence on the central characters. Ursula's role in events changes from life to life, but the reality of fighting and the hardship of living through World War II is constant. Ultimately, Atkinson uses Ursula's individual story to ask if one person's actions can influence events on a global scale, and change the course of history forever. It's a really interesting concept, although I personally found the ending a little abrupt and there wasn't a great deal of build up to her final actions in the same way as with some of her earlier turning points.

The structure of the novel, which flits around in time and place indiscriminately, is quite hard to get used to. Central characters appear and disappear, and live or die, depending on which particular narrative strand Ursula's life has taken. Some of her lives are truly awful, seeing her a victim of extreme violence, loneliness, or emotional turmoil. I found myself hoping for the death that was sure to come just so she could escape whatever horrible reality she was in at the time. On the other hand, in some strands she is happy, successful and simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. In these cases, I was desperately hoping she could fight fate.

Kate Atkinson writes with immense skill. Despite the continually shifting time periods, all of the characters are really well rounded and developed. Ursula is portrayed especially well. Her circumstances, frame of mind and outlook can change completely from chapter to chapter but her core remains the same and I was really rooting for her to choose the right path and end up happily ever after. There's a certain inevitability about this book. Death comes no matter what choices Ursula makes, and all she can do is to try and overcome obstacles until she gets it right. In the end, there was an overwhelming sense that we can't have everything. Every one of Ursula's lives had a sense of compromise and its own share of tragedy. But at the end of the day, that's just life.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but a tad confusing, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: Life After Life (Kindle Edition)
I read this book on my Kindle before looking at other readers' reviews. I'd never read Kate Atkinson's work before so didn't know what to expect. Now having read other people's reviews, I suspect it's not typical of her work.

I've given the novel three stars because I sort of enjoyed it. It was well written and I didn't ever think of giving up, which some other readers did.

However, I was confused because Ursula (the main character) died early on in the novel, only to reappear in the next chapter when older. The first time it happened, I thought perhaps she hadn't died at all and that all would be revealed in due course. Throughout the novel she seemed to be reincarnated again and again, each time to die in different circumstances and at different ages.

The penny eventually dropped and I realised that the novel was exploring what might have happened if Ursula (a) had not died or (b) had made different choices in life. Perhaps if I hadn't been reading on a Kindle, I would have grasped the point more quickly because I would have flicked back to re-read previous sections and get some clues as to what the book was about. The other explanation is that maybe I'm a bit thick.

I found the later chapters slightly bewildering as the same characters reappeared in Ursula's different 'lives' in various situations. That said, I felt compelled to read on and finish the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I've read this year, 10 Aug 2014
This review is from: Life After Life (Paperback)
My hubby’s Gran once told me that as you grow old you don’t regret the things you’ve done as much as you regret the things you wish you’d done. She lived well into her 90s so I guess she knew what she was talking about, although her philosophy does tend to assume that the wished-for-but-not-done things wouldn’t have been so reckless/stupid/unlucky as to have (a) killed her or (b) caused irreparable, life-changing, physical or emotional harm. Carpe diem! Yes – but only up to a point.

So how do you know where to draw the line? How do you seize the day and also live to see (but not regret) the next? In other words how do you get life right first time? Or – better – what if you could live again and again until you get life to work out how you want it to? (Better because if you haven’t experienced bad by what yardstick do you measure what’s good?) This is the basic premise of Life After Life by Kate Atkinson, winner of the 2013 Costa Novel Award.

Ursula is born during a snow-storm in 1910. She dies at birth, strangled by her umbilical cord. She dies in childhood accidents and illness. As a teenager she dies of a botched abortion. She dies at the hands of an abusive husband and, later, several times in the Second World War, mostly in London during the Blitz – described by Atkinson as the “dark, beating heart of the novel” – but also, in a variation that sees her living in Germany, in Berlin just before the Russian occupation. Post-war she commits suicide. Pre-war she shoots Hitler to prevent him coming to power (“one of the most potent and familiar” what if scenarios according to Atkinson).

It’s Nirvana with a twist: “coming back as the same person in the same circumstances” but tweaking certain things, making certain changes, apparently small but actually the difference between life and death. Or as Ursula’s mother, Sylvie, would have it, “Practice makes perfect.”

Visit www.whatcathyread.wordpress.com for more reviews.

Life After Life
Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (Hardcover - 14 Mar 2013)