5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Again
I have wanted there to be a further book in the Noughts and Crosses saga since I finished Checkmate. I always wanted to know for sure Callie and Toby were going to be together.

Published on 21 Nov. 2008 by Claire Mill

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the others
This is the fourth in a trilogy of books. The author says that she completed the first three books as planned but then she was inspired to write this one as a result of increased crime on the streets.
Published 8 months ago by Janie U

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Again, 21 Nov. 2008
Claire Mill "Cem" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Double Cross: Book 4 (Noughts And Crosses) (Hardcover)

This book picks up a few weeks after the ending of Checkmate and follows Toby and Callie through some tough times. Having had nothing from Toby's persective before, it was really interesting learning more about him and finding things about him I wouldn't have guessed from Callie's view of him in Checkmate. As with the pervious books, you are really drawn in to the characters world and feel the ups and downs with them, understanding how they end up in the bad situations they do. Most of this book is from Toby's persective as you see him stuggling to accept that he's still seen as lower class and has no money for the things he wants (like college) because of it. The effects that has on his relationship with Callie, and most importantly how he views himself at the end of it all.

Really heartfelt, lots of twists and turns. Places you wouldn't expect it to go, yet is completely believeable. Despite being set in an alteritive world most of it is still possible, and present, in our world. Still makes you stop and think about things as the previous books have done without stopping it from being a great read. Highly recommend the whole series to anyone, teens and adults alike, as I think there is a lot that can be learned from them. Great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Malorie does it again!, 9 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Double Cross: Book 4 (Noughts And Crosses) (Hardcover)
For all Malorie Blackman fans out there this certainly exceeds all expectations, a review does it no justice!
The reader is bought on Callie and Tobeys journey one which you don't want to end, but like all things it must.
Your left realing and trying to guess what happens next but like all good authors Blackman continuees to push boundaires and surprise the reader.
Although beautifully finished I'm hoping this isn't the last, say it isn't so!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, 11 Nov. 2009
Amazon Customer (Edinburgh, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Double Cross: Book 4 (Noughts And Crosses) (Hardcover)
I have mixed thoughts about this book. Although it was captivating, enjoyable and full of lots of great character development, I had thought that the series was suitably finished at the end of #3. After all, it's been several years since I read the book, and although I had originally thought (upon finishing #3) "Oh, I wonder who Callie chooses - Lucas or Tobey?" the thought didn't bother me for long.
I enjoyed reading about Callie and Tobey, but I really missed Sephy. I definitely prefer the original Noughts & Crosses couple! The plot was exciting and fast-paced, not to mention poignant - but also very sad. This book did sort of have a happy ending but a lot of sad stuff happened before then, and I actually think #3 ended on a slightly happier note. But, of course, it would be terrible to give a N&C novel less than 5 stars on Amazon, and it was compelling and well-written, but I suppose it's more like 4.5 stars compared to the 5 stars of the original trilogy.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME SEQUAL, 6 Nov. 2008
Mr. JG Murdey "Oh Yeah !" (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Double Cross: Book 4 (Noughts And Crosses) (Hardcover)
Malorie has done it again. Double Cross has so many twists and turns in it's plot line, it's a superb read. One Note. Don't read this if you have work tomorrow, i was up til 4 am reading this...

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty immense!, 29 Jan. 2009
Mrs. M. Swallow "Sarah x" (England, Yorkshire.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Double Cross: Book 4 (Noughts And Crosses) (Hardcover)
wow! Ive read all of this series and couldnt put any of the books down. I found them all a fantastic read. the worst part? finishing it! i thouroughly enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone (mature enough to read it ofc).
Malorie Blackman has proved to be a fantastic writer of truely origional, new and captivating reads. I havnt been able to put any of the books down, this one especially. Makes you laugh, and draws you into a very real world that you dont want to leave. Fantastic in my opionion. But find out for yourself!!!
Emotional and keeps you on the edge of your seat at times! Its well worth your time if you enjoyed her other books. :)Double Cross (Noughts & Crosses)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the others, 4 Aug. 2014
Janie U (Kings Cliffe, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
If you're reading this book it's likely that you will have read the other three so will know all about the family's traumatic history. However, if you've never heard of Sephy and Callie, there is plenty of history covered in the first few chapters which is also handy as a reminder if it's been a while since you read the originals.
The series is written for a young adult audience but don't let that put you off if you are older as it has a strong fast moving plot at its core.
Here though, the story seems to lose focus. We've moved on from Sephy's story and we've even moved on from Callie's story both of which I missed.
Tobie is introduced at the beginning of the novel where the plot takes up immediately from the end of the last book which has given the characters no time to develop - maybe a year of so would have allowed them to grow up and given this book a clear identity rather than seeming to be just an extension of the others. Tobie is an annoying character, balancing a knowledge of everything with utter naivety. Disappointingly, he seems to be created from teenager clichés playing in a world where he is trying to get the better of some supposedly very tough gangsters.
As ever with this author, the book is written well but there is a lot to be disappointed with. I won't read another in this series if it is written.

5.0 out of 5 stars It gets better and better, 23 Mar. 2012
I adore the Noughts and Crosses series, some of the best books ever written. I bought this book as soon as it came out, but I never got round to it, it's been sitting on my shelf staring at me and I've been aching to read it so I finally made myself sit down with it. And I'm glad I did.
This story follows on from the dramatic events at the end of book 3. The only difference is that this book is only told from Tobey and Callie's point of view, and a big chunk of the book is just Tobey.
Obviously Sephy and Meggie are featured, mentioned etc, but they do not head any of the chapters and i must admit part of me missed them, they are such well rounded and developed characters that not having them felt a bit like missing a friend. But this story is focused on Tobey and Callie Rose and so makes sense to be between the two of them.
I love the pair's easy going humour and sarcasm and how they seem to just fit together. But they are on a rocky path.
I devoured the beginning of the book, I couldn't look away and laughed out loud in places and then screamed aloud at a very dramatic part (scaring the other person in the room as I screamed) I did find that the second half moved a little slower, having it single point of view felt strange for this story, but did give a deeper insight to Tobey and allowed us to get to know him. He does some things that may surprise you, but I feel like his heart was in the right place and I couldn't help but like him.
I would have liked to see Sephy more in the second half, she features in conversations with Tobey, but part of me felt like the situation was so big I would liked to have had a deeper insight to her reaction.
However what we did have was a good story and I can appreciate everything that was put in. There are so many twists and turns and you're never totally sure who to trust.
I can't believe I waited so long to read this book, I think I'm mental. I do feel a bit sad now it's over though, I love this series so much I just want more and more and more, maybe that's why I put off reading it for so long, I didn't want it to end.

I think this is one series that every single person should read, it's just breath-taking. In fact, I finished reading this book about 5 hours ago but I still can't stop thinking about it and wishing for more, remembering moments still makes me catch my breath. Just beautiful, story-telling at it's best.

I will add a warning - it is written on the back of the book 'Not suitable for younger readers', this book contains drug usage, violence and sex. so I would be careful as to what age you let read it, but none of it is just thrown in, it all has a purpose and is explained in the storyline and does make a difference, so I don't have a problem with it being there, just be warned for younger/immature readers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rediscovers roots of great series, 6 Mar. 2010
Tobey is forced to dive into a world of crime as the stakes for his and Callie's families rise.

The first book in the series, Noughts and Crosses, brought about a controversial depiction of racism in society from Malorie Blackman and using the power that Crosses have over Noughts and using that to tell a heart warming love story was a stroke of literature brilliance.

The two sequels Knife edge and Checkmate tried to cover the same risky attitude of political power mixing it with a degrading appearance regime but never quite matching that refreshing appreciation of racism and its wrongful use. Checkmate seemed to round things off quite nicely, for me anyway, and when this was released out of nowhere it was a good surprise and when observing this fleetingly you will notice it is from the point of view of Checkmate characters Tobey and Callie Rose.

So from here the Callum and Sephy story has been polished and left behind, sad but necessary after 3 novels and we have a prospect for a new start and dare I suggest another couple of sequels?

The first few chapters of this book certainly generate that feeling of youthful exuberance as Callie and Tobey each have their own friends and possible partners and have such issues with their respective family. This starts as Noughts and Crosses did, playfully innocent with a great building block for more drama but because the opening is quite light-hearted and different it associates you with the characters which is exactly what you want from a story that never goes away from the point of view scripting.

Tobey, a surprise addition, is an interesting character to include this time, an obvious association with Callie and yet a character we see has individual feelings and an intelligence and bravery to rival Callum, if never quite generating such a strong association as with the star of the first book. The terrifying gun firing incident somewhere in the middle allows us to be wrapped into his personal world of guilt, hatred and aspiring for eventual revenge. The tactile planning might occasionally lack realism in the moment's context but that does not hinder on a dramatic construction of a teenager's mindset.

Callie, who if I'm totally honest, was the most annoying character in all of human literature in Checkmate, has sprouted her own sense of freedom and individuality from the last book to make her a very appealing and likable protagonist and not some silly teenage stereotype that you occasionally skip chapters of.

The pairing includes some playful banter and first experiences and whilst this has a very strong inclusion of gangsters it still has a styling of dramatic romance that, no matter who writes it, will never associate with the power of Romeo and Juliet.

The plot moves at a steady pace involving different ideas from gang life that as mentioned feel sketchy on realistic movement but are regardless interesting and fun to read. Whilst the conclusion feels like a desperate attempt at redeeming everyone in the entirety there is hopefully a sequel as again Blackman has discovered something within a teenager's mind to shock, entertain and associate with.

8/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripped, gripped, gripped, 8 Nov. 2008
A Kid's Review
Review by Daniel Patterson Age 12
I loved this book as it was full of shocks and things that make you go, "what the...!" The main characters follow on from the last book, Checkmate, with the introduction of one more main character, Toby. Totally gripped, couldn't put this book down, it is now doing the rounds of my friends, I even had to fight my mum for it! A must read for all teens.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 nearly 5 stars!, 5 Mar. 2013
Before I say anything this book is amazing, but I've given it a 4 simply because the other 3 books are just that extra bit better than this one so I don't feel like it should get 5 stars. I think the thing that I didn't like about it was the fact it was nearly all in Tobey's point of view and in the other books it was very varied in points of view, so therefore they were more gripping, also I missed Sephy's point of view in this book, I think she should have come into it at least somewhere! HOWEVER obviously the point of this book is to show through Tobey as a character and it does that extremely well! Don't get me wrong I stilled loved this book, just not as much as the others!

My favourite part of the book was the ending, not in a bad way though!! It was good how Malorie portrayed it, I was extremely heart warming and i really liked it, and it made the book a lot better and I'm so glad I've read the whole series because that ending was just right!! Enjoyed this series sooooooo much!! Overall as a series it gets a definite 5/5 stars no hesitation, so so soooo good, I'd recommend these books to anyone!

Double Cross: Book 4 (Noughts And Crosses)
Double Cross: Book 4 (Noughts And Crosses) by Malorie Blackman (Hardcover - 6 Nov. 2008)
Used & New from: £0.01