on 21 November 2008
I have wanted there to be a further book in the Noughts and Crosses saga since I finished Checkmate. I always wanted to know for sure Callie and Toby were going to be together.

This book picks up a few weeks after the ending of Checkmate and follows Toby and Callie through some tough times. Having had nothing from Toby's persective before, it was really interesting learning more about him and finding things about him I wouldn't have guessed from Callie's view of him in Checkmate. As with the pervious books, you are really drawn in to the characters world and feel the ups and downs with them, understanding how they end up in the bad situations they do. Most of this book is from Toby's persective as you see him stuggling to accept that he's still seen as lower class and has no money for the things he wants (like college) because of it. The effects that has on his relationship with Callie, and most importantly how he views himself at the end of it all.

Really heartfelt, lots of twists and turns. Places you wouldn't expect it to go, yet is completely believeable. Despite being set in an alteritive world most of it is still possible, and present, in our world. Still makes you stop and think about things as the previous books have done without stopping it from being a great read. Highly recommend the whole series to anyone, teens and adults alike, as I think there is a lot that can be learned from them. Great book.
on 9 November 2008
For all Malorie Blackman fans out there this certainly exceeds all expectations, a review does it no justice!
The reader is bought on Callie and Tobeys journey one which you don't want to end, but like all things it must.
Your left realing and trying to guess what happens next but like all good authors Blackman continuees to push boundaires and surprise the reader.
Although beautifully finished I'm hoping this isn't the last, say it isn't so!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 September 2007
I tend to agree with previous reviews in the sense that I am a huge Patterson fan, rushing to pre-order the latest book, but was dissapointed with this latest Cross novel. As much as the book was okay, I tend to feel that with him churning out so many books he is losing appeal (and fans) with his monotiny of writing styles and characters. I will certainly continue to read Patterson, hoping that he will return to his glory, but won't be rushing to pre-order.
on 6 November 2008
Malorie has done it again. Double Cross has so many twists and turns in it's plot line, it's a superb read. One Note. Don't read this if you have work tomorrow, i was up til 4 am reading this...
on 20 September 2007
I'm a HUGE fan of James Patterson's and have read everything from Season of the Machete onwards and I have to admit this is the first time I have been disappointed. I had been eagerly anticipating the new Alex Cross and was staggered to find this unoriginal, predictable, uninspired offering. I can't help but wonder if the effort having 4 books published in one year might have been to Alex's detriment, as though this series took a back seat to Patterson's other projects and he just dipped into Alex's story like a safe little aside. That said, it wasn't a terrible book and, if I don't compare it to previous books, it was perfectly readable and comfortable. A good bath time read!
VINE VOICEon 4 August 2014
This is the fourth in a trilogy of books. The author says that she completed the first three books as planned but then she was inspired to write this one as a result of increased crime on the streets.
If you're reading this book it's likely that you will have read the other three so will know all about the family's traumatic history. However, if you've never heard of Sephy and Callie, there is plenty of history covered in the first few chapters which is also handy as a reminder if it's been a while since you read the originals.
The series is written for a young adult audience but don't let that put you off if you are older as it has a strong fast moving plot at its core.
Here though, the story seems to lose focus. We've moved on from Sephy's story and we've even moved on from Callie's story both of which I missed.
Tobie is introduced at the beginning of the novel where the plot takes up immediately from the end of the last book which has given the characters no time to develop - maybe a year of so would have allowed them to grow up and given this book a clear identity rather than seeming to be just an extension of the others. Tobie is an annoying character, balancing a knowledge of everything with utter naivety. Disappointingly, he seems to be created from teenager clichés playing in a world where he is trying to get the better of some supposedly very tough gangsters.
As ever with this author, the book is written well but there is a lot to be disappointed with. I won't read another in this series if it is written.
on 8 November 2008
Review by Daniel Patterson Age 12
I loved this book as it was full of shocks and things that make you go, "what the...!" The main characters follow on from the last book, Checkmate, with the introduction of one more main character, Toby. Totally gripped, couldn't put this book down, it is now doing the rounds of my friends, I even had to fight my mum for it! A must read for all teens.
on 30 April 2016
I loved this book. It shocked me and saddened me and pretty much every emotion there is. Like the other books in the series, you could really connect with the characters and understand what they're going through. However, I didn't think it was as good as the first few but if you have read those then absolutely read this. It deals with the issue of gangs and drugs and the vulnerability of young adults whom are surrounded by this type of environment. On the other hand, there is a back story of the ever growing love between callie rose and Toby which balances out the more depressing parts. I recommend you read this if you like realistic fiction or love stories etc.
VINE VOICEon 12 September 2007
'Double Cross' is the 13th book in the Alex Cross series and is without a doubt one of the Patterson's best yet.

The story begins when Alex is forced out of retirement when his new girlfriend, Bree Stone, is the lead detective on a series of vicious murders where the killer likes to show off his "work" in pubic places, giving him the title The Audience Killer/DCAK. If that's not enough, Alex's old nemesis, Kyle Craig has escaped from the maximum security prison where he was being held and is now on the loose again.

I've been a huge fan of the Alex Cross series since the beginning and know all the books well and I can honestly say that 'Double Cross' is easily up there with Along Came A Spider and Kiss the Girls when it comes to quality. The chapters are as short and fast-paced as usual, which keeps the tension very high and never lets the excitement slip. All the usual characters return and the new killer, DCAK, is also full of surprises and is truly one sick individual, as is Kyle Craig. Throughout the whole book there isn't one dull chapter and once you start reading it is impossible to stop. Whether or not you are a regular reader of the Cross series this book is simply un-missable!
on 15 February 2015
In this case Malorie must have thought save the best for last. Giving the story a whole new twist by making the silly boy Tobey the main character of the book gives her oppurtunity to write a more gripping and thrilling book than the first 3 ones. The first books were about forbidden love between black and white, family matters and politics. In this one we still have that but it's all at the background, giving the story a twist about gangs and drugs. Tobey solving it all seems bit unbelievable, but for me the story was that good that I kept on reading with suspense
nice!