5.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining and enjoyable read.
I picked this book up while looking for something to read during my nightshift and was immediately hooked.A truly great fantasy story woven into the world of myth and legend of the Norse gods of old with modern,upbeat humour as a side dish.The characters are wonderfully believable and the author's treatment of the gods of the Aesir and Vanir is a tonic bringing them to...
Published on 11 Nov 2008 by Timoshenko

3.0 out of 5 stars A new direction but hopefully not for good
This is Harris' first attempt at a fantasy novel although all her books involve magic. Her writing style is as strong as ever and it is easy to get involved in the magical world she creates. It is all very tongue-in-cheek with humour that owes a lot to the influence of Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett.
Those who already have a knowledge of the world of Norse gods...
Published on 10 Oct 2007 by Hayles

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Not what you'd expect!, 6 Nov 2011
Adrian Shaw - See all my reviews
This review is from: Runemarks (Paperback)
Not your usual Joanne Harris novel, but get it, read it and you are in for a real treat. Don't do what I did and read Runelight first - although a great story in its own right and 5 stars out of 5 as well! - as you will have a bit of a déjà vu moment! One of those rare novels that once you start to read it and get into it you won't want to put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy fiction at it's best!, 6 May 2010
S. A. Mackenzie (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Runemarks (Paperback)
You will be gripped and intrigued by this book from the opening sentence to the very last word. Having just galloped my way through Stephanie Meyer's vampire/werewolf quartet and her stand alone novel The Host (which is by far the better story) I was in need of something different. And boy was this it! You will be drawn into Maddy's weird and sometimes quite scary world of redundant Norse Gods, scheming Goblins and terrifying special effects that will make you read well into the night. I simply couldn't put it down and when I finally finished it, I can honestly say I felt quite bereft. I have always loved Joanne Harris's books and have read everyone of them more than once, but I originally thought this book might be aimed at more junior readers (like the Twilight series) but it is one of those books that will entrance anyone with an active imagination. This book takes Harris away from her usual genre and into the ranks of Neil Gaiman and Terry Prachett especially their collaboration novel, Good Omens.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's the end of the world - again, 25 April 2010
This review is from: Runemarks (Paperback)
We're all familiar with the author who lives in denial of their genre writing ("It doesn't have spaceships in, so it can't be science fiction!"). Joanne Harris is somewhat the opposite; for years she's been slyly slipping fantastic elements into her otherwise resolutely mainstream fiction and getting away with it. Here she goes for all-out fantasy, and it's a sad reflection on the publishing world today that in order to do so she's had to have it marketed as YA. This is a lovely book: a joyous, irreverent romp through Norse legend, full of verve, humour, action, adventure, and the most dangerously charming Loki you're ever likely to meet. At almost 500 pages it initially looks daunting, but Ms Harris's timing is impeccable: the action is divided into bite-sized chunks, and every section ends with a punch that makes you want to keep on reading.

My one criticism is that the young female protagonist, Maddy, who is initially the novel's main POV character, finds herself more and more squeezed out as more and more characters are introduced - in particular Loki, against whom nobody stands a chance - and appears rather colourless compared to the Norse pantheon. But then, I suppose ... anyone would.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, 27 July 2009
This review is from: Runemarks (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book and was shocked by some of the critisisms. I have a very limited knowledge of the myths but I found the plot well written and easy to follow. I thought the characters were well written and easy to like. I would point out however that this is very much a fantasy book and if that isn't to your taste then you probably wont enjoy it. I love fantasy and this was an excellent example of the genre. If you love fantasy you will love this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Harris can make me read anything, 31 Aug 2014
This review is from: Runemarks (Kindle Edition)
I would never read a book of this genre normally. The only reason I read this was because I've read all of Harris's books and she has a knack of gently leading you into a story and before you know it, you're hooked!. Nothing exceptional may have happened, and there's nothing out of the ordinary with the characters. But somehow, you can't put the book down. It's that easy style she has that makes you feel you've known the characters forever. So I was interested to see how she dealt with a younger audience, and on this subject. .......and I have to say hats off, she's done it again. If someone asked me to read a book as about Norse gods, I'd have thought no way. But Harris just keeps delivering. Thank you for making it so exciting every time you write a book.
So why 4 stars? Only down to the fact I had a little trouble keeping up with all the characters and who's side they were on. But to be fair, that was probably my fault because in certain parts of the story I had to keep putting the book down due to busy periods. Otherwise it would have gotten 5 stars

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome and un-put-downable!, 18 Dec 2008
This review is from: Runemarks (Paperback)
I have not finished this book yet but I am loving it. The style, how it flows, the absolutely imaginative story line. She has a style and she does it well. If you do not like this book, you are not a Joanne Harris fan and do not like her style. It doesn't mean she isn't good at what she does. This is an excellent book and is only short of five stars because I haven't finished it yet and couldn't wait that long to give a review. Keep doing what you do Joanne, cause you do it very well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Trick or Treat?, 11 Jun 2014
This review is from: Runemarks (Kindle Edition)
and all things sweet.... Confession: I never read Chocolat, or watched Thor. My knowledge of the Norse gods is adequate,but Joanne Harris takes the stories and turns them inside out , downside up. She has an easy style, a bit like Neil Gaiman, leading you in, only to leave you chasing into dead ends. I think Runelight beckons - on my way!

5.0 out of 5 stars Norse mythology, great story telling, 28 May 2014
This review is from: Runemarks (Kindle Edition)
This is a real a page turner that I thoroughly enjoyed from the first line to the last. A lovely mix of mythology, humour and high fantasy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Meeting the Norse gods!, 22 May 2014
This review is from: Runemarks (Kindle Edition)
Great fun - a riveting read!
This is so atmospheric and an unusual way to engage with gods and mythologies. Not your usual "fantasy" read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I read it in a day, 20 Aug 2013
This review is from: Runemarks (Kindle Edition)
Joanne Harris writes with her usual creativeness taking on yet another subject and idea and exploring them in an interesting way.

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

Runemarks
Runemarks by Joanne Harris (Hardcover - 2 Aug 2007)
Used & New from: £0.01