5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from Sir Terry
Published on 12 Nov 2010 by Tiger Lily

3.0 out of 5 stars Terry Pratchett - I Shall Wear Midnight
Erm, I may have missed something, I'm not sure. This is by Terry Pratchett. Ergo, it's very good. Fair enough. I can get on board with that. That statement is so reliable that I'd consider it as close to fact as anything subjective can be.

However, this one's lacking. Sorry, it is. Is this effort not just a bit too slight (even considering it's one of the...
Published on 8 Sep 2010 by RachelWalker

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from Sir Terry, 12 Nov 2010
This review is from: I Shall Wear Midnight: (Discworld Novel 38) (Discworld Novels) (Hardcover)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and found it hard to put down. I am a great fan of the Discworld books, and enjoy the ones aimed at younger readers as much as the others. I think you need to have read the other books about Tiffany Aching to really appreciate this one, and I personally have enjoyed seeing her grow up throught the series. The story kept me turning the pages and whilst because of time restraints I didn't read it at one sitting, I could easily have done so! I found the ending very satisfactory, and heartily recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tiffneys Tales End., 3 Sep 2010
Paul E. Jackson "PJ" (UK) - See all my reviews
The success of all the Tiffney Aching stories depend upon her ability to understand people (and monsters!)in the difficult moments of their lives, even when she thinks she doesn't( well, not completely anyway!). "Headology" is perhaps the most practical of all the "magics" and Tiffany came to be a successful witch by the most pragmatic of approaches in that she taught herself to become one. You see you don't have to be born a witch to be a witch.But some might argue it helps.
It has been a delight to watch her grow up over the series, and "I shall wear Midnight" is no exception to that rule.Its a much darker tale than any that I've read from TP, as Tiffany finally shoulders all the responsibilities of her "steading" ( a witches territory) and all the human failings within it, and some of those are very great indeed. The charm of this tale comes from her struggles to deal with them as humanely as she can,often against her own personal desires, and to resolve so many of them so successfully that by the end I'll admit I had a slight tear in my eye ( though I fear it was the last sentence in the story did that!). She matures to be a wise a woman as you could expect of anyone, a kind of medieval social worker that makes care in the community actually work.
I marvel at TP's ability to put true character into his creations and to get all of human nature, including the dark and the delightful, on to the page. There are greater truths spoken of lightly here than can be properly preached from the pulpit and, as with all of TP's tales, the virtues of simply being a good human being, be you patrician, policeman, practising witch or , ultimately, just a POP (plain ordinary person),come gleaming through, like a golden hare facing the flames (read the book and you'll understand why).
A very satisfying end to a wonderful series of stories.It made a beautiful warm September day just about as perfect as I could have wished for as I finished reading it just at the moment of a glorious golden sun set. Terry Pratchett, once more,I salute you Sire!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the Tiffany Aching books, 14 Oct 2010
J. Gardiner "john70075" (Middlesbrough, UK) - See all my reviews
This is called a children's book by many reviewers, and indeed by many newspaper best seller lists. If you want to call older teenagers "children" then, despite the dangers of such a description, you could be right. I would not offer it to a younger child for it has some dark moments, especially in the opening chapter which deals with a teenager who loses her unborn child after a brutal beating from her father which her mother did nothing to stop. This real violence, as opposed to the joke violence of earlier Discworld novels,is a new departure for Terry Pratchett but it is simply an indication of his growing maturity as a writer. It is certainly a book that can be fully enjoyed by adults. It is a fully fledged Discworld novel and many old friends make cameo appearances. Yes, there is also a good stock of one liners.

It is disappointing to read in some reviews that there is no character development. What on earth do these reviewers want? Have they ever read a novel? Quite a number of minor characters do develop markedly and not by magic but by facing up to difficult situations. Not just minor characters, but Tiffany Aching continues her development which was such a great feature of Wintersmith. She faces the type of challenge that helps to make us mature adults and develops as a consequence. I don't think I'm giving much away when I say that she does hardly anything we might call magic; that is anything that might be at home in the Unseen University. How she resolves situations, or at least comes to terms with them, really is magical.

Finally you experts on Sir Terry's Alzheimer's disease who can delicately discern his deterioration: you know nothing about the condition other than the usual prejudices. The condition is not all negative and may be instrumental in helping Sir Terry to branch out in his writing. As this development occurs enjoy what you have been given. As the author knows full well, it won't last forever.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pratchett and Kindle - not a great match, 4 April 2011
This was my first ever Pratchett book, in fact my first book, on my new Kindle and it was a frustrating experience. Long term fans of Pratchett books will know that he makes extensive use of footnotes, which are an integral part of the humour. These exist in the Kindle edition, but unlike the printed books, they are all bundled at the end of the chapter rather than the foot of each page. While it is possible to hyperlink to them, this is a slow and distracting process involving multiple keypresses that interrupts the flow of reading much more than a quick glance down the same page. This may seem trivial, but given the number of times it occurs in a typical Pratchett book, it would make me more inclined to go for a paper version next time. This is a good story, even if some of the more familiar characters seem to have been bolted on as an afterthought, but my enjoyment of it was curtailed by the awkward reading experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wobbly start, perfect end., 29 Oct 2010
Most of what I wanted to say has already been said by reviewers, so I won't repeat them. I'm a long-time fan of Pratchett and have been reading his books for over 20 years (gulp). I've seen his writing style change over time, as you would with any writer. When I started this book I was worried. It starts off a little clunkily, the characters feel awkward and the dialogue stilted. I was genuinely disappointed and actually put it down for a week. But, and it's a big but, then I picked it up again and the book quickly settled into its stride. Everything smoothed out, like a runner going through the wall, and the story developed into a satisfying conclusion. In fact, the ending is one of the most perfect endings I think I've ever read in any novel. It's a great end to the Tiffany Aching series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top banana, 8 Nov 2010
I Shall Wear Midnight

Tiff's back & how. Continuing the story of Tiffany Aching & the NacMacFeegle, takes Tiffany in to the Big Wahoonie, where she learns the truth about about Boffo, then back to the chalk, all the while being followed by a hare, something malicious & something else in the shadows....

Another cracking read from Pratchett, not the laugh out loud of previous Disc World novels, but well paced, plotted & setting up the next in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!, 8 Nov 2010
I have read most if not all of the Discworld books and thought each one was the best so far. How wrong of me, this is a wonderful book which I read in two nights. Whatever anyone says about the author's health problems, his briliance cannot be denied.
Please read this book it is the best SO FAR!!! and with luck not the last.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Another classic from Mr. P, 27 Oct 2010
This book has so much going for it that I'm not sure where to start, so the following comments are not in any particular order.

He has developed Tiffany's character beautifully; in this story she is that bit older and wiser than before and the time has come for her to take her place amongst the other witches. She needs to stand her ground and earn their respect.

Of course the Feegles are always there to help (whether Tiffany wants it or not) and our knowledge of the character and ways of the Feegle is broadened to good effect.

The story itself has great pace and many fascinating twists and turns; like many a Pratchett book for me, it was over too soon. Not because the storyline didn't play out well, I just read it too fast as usual!

Having said my comments were not in any particular order, I do however find myself leaving what is for me the most impressive facet of this (and most of Terry Pratchett's books) until last. The man has such great wisdom regarding human nature; it's terrible flaws, sometimes grindingly sheep like apathy, but also heights of greatness. He imparts this in such a wonderfully non condescending way and this is what elevates his writing far beyond any "genre" that might be applied. This man speaks great and honest truths to us within his stories; with one of his books you will get a great tale, full of humour and excitement, but so much more as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nearly almost - but brilliant, for all that..., 4 Sep 2010
Margaret Gallagher (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I have every one of TP's books. He is far and away the best author on the planet, and probably off it as well - IMnsHO.. And, for all that he says he is a humanist, what he doesn't know about spirituality (not to mention quantum physics, human nature, psychology, philosophy and just about every other subject) is not worth knowing.

I love all his Discworld books to a greater or lesser degree - but I adore the Tiffany Aching books, there is something that truly resonates for me with each one, despite me being closer in age to Granny Weatherwax than Tiffany!

This book - it's a really good story. Un-put-downable in fact - but there is something indefinable that is different. Something small and subtle. It's not that it has darkness - there is darkness in most of the books, particularly involving the witches. But this time I felt that something was just a tiny bit different, compared to the earlier ones. Not in the story, but in the telling of it. And I can't intellectualise it - all I can say is that it felt different. When I read a good story I move in and live it while I read - most of us do. Good books engage you at that level of feeling and connection - and, while this one also engages you, it felt different to the others, and it was a difference I missed. And maybe that says more about me than the book - I have no idea!
I certainly recommmend it - and all of his books. They are astonishingly beautiful in ways even TP would probably never imagine.

5.0 out of 5 stars The end of the tiffany series., 11 Oct 2010
Whilst I believe that this it the end of the Tiffany Aching series. I cant help feeling that this is the start of the end of Disc world. For the die hard fans Sir Terry has included some cameo roles which answer questions posted on the message boards and newsgroups about certain characters from previous books. I won't go into details because
either:

As a die hard fan you will have already bought and finished the book.

Or

As a collector of his works are waiting for the paperback.

However I will describe this as Sir Terry at his best.

Why?

It includes the wry criticism of humanity that have been a feature of his recent books together with what could best be described as his trademark use of puns from the earlier books.

And somehow, and possibly the PCA is to blame for this, I cant help feeling that we are witnessing the start of the end of the Discworld.

I Shall Wear Midnight: (Discworld Novel 38) (Discworld Novels)
I Shall Wear Midnight: (Discworld Novel 38) (Discworld Novels) by Terry Pratchett (Hardcover - 2 Sep 2010)
Used & New from: 0.01