4.0 out of 5 stars Adds depth to the Discworld for fans
I got an advanced copy of this book at the Discworld Convention and read it straight away. It is written in an entertaining style and explains how the books of the Discworld series have been influenced by the folklore of Earth - for example, why there are 3 witches and why wizards have a university.

The book is split into chapters covering different aspects of...
Published on 11 Sep 2008 by M. Booth

3.0 out of 5 stars Completing my collection
I am a die-hard Pratchett fan and have bought all his books so I had to buy this, too. It's okay but there's nothing new so I'm just waiting for then next Discworld novel....
Published 19 months ago by P. Walters

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book to enhance your Discworld experience, 7 Jan 2009
A. I. McCulloch "Andrea" (Co Durham) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Folklore of Discworld (Hardcover)
As a fairly long - term fan of the Discworld series, I found this book entrancing. I enjoy reading books on folklore and traditions, so this was right up my street, combining both interests. Sometimes I've read a Discworld passage and chuckled knowingly as to where Terry got THAT idea from - the gonnagles, Bel-Shamharoth, the Necrotelicomnicon for example. Some were ideas where nearly everyone can share the joke - Quoth The Raven, Cohen the Barbarian. I didn't know about Black Annis, though, the inspiration for Black Aliss, or that a stone in Rheims cathedral is said to have the marks of Christ's buttocks.

The book is full of interesting pieces, where Dr Jacqueline Simpson's deeply scholarly knowledge has explained some fact or told a story of which you were almost certainly previously unaware. If you are a person who has stumbled across this whilst looking for resources on folklore in general, it might be well worthwhile looking out for some of Dr Simpson's previous books - I certainly intend to. As for Sir Terry himself - this book is a worthy addition to the Discworld canon. I loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars My latest Pratchett, 10 Sep 2013
Amusing but basically a rehash of previous work. Reason for buying if T.P. wrote it I buy it.Was it worth it? No.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Folklore of Discworld Legends, 23 May 2013
M. rs carol Johnson "Mrs. C.D. Johnson" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have read the whole Discworld series (in order) three times, and this book collates the Folklore behind the characters and events very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enough folklore to satisfy an anthropologist, 17 Oct 2010
I'm an anthropologist and a huge Discworld fan. With this book I can be both at the same time. The Folklore is laid out and analyzed in brilliant detail.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly Dull, 14 Sep 2010
Not nearly as interesting as I'd hoped, and I even had to put it down out of boredom several times. It seemed mainly to concentrate on 'creatures' rather than 'legends, myths and customs' which in my opinion got rather short shrift. This probably arises from trying to cram too much into this small volume, but disappointing as the authors clearly understand and enjoy their subject and should have been allowed a bit more space.

4.0 out of 5 stars good addition to my collection, 12 April 2009
This review is from: The Folklore of Discworld (Hardcover)
I enjoyed this more than the science of discworld books( mainly because I understood more) and I think that it's a worthwhile addition to any discworld collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars the folklore of discworld, 16 Feb 2010
truly fantastic, its a woven magic of fancy and real folklore. dont be fooled its not a story its a collection of facts and pratchett's imagination

5.0 out of 5 stars Earthly parallels to the Discworld, 16 April 2014
A beautiful wander through the earthly sources of the Discworld mythology. Ever wonder where some of the stranger creatures originally lived? This is for you...

5.0 out of 5 stars Requested present, 4 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Folklore of Discworld (Hardcover)
Just perfect, as requested and I have had no complaints. as requested and I have had no complaints. Very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Folklore nof Discworld, 26 Dec 2013
A great read and an insight into the origins of our world and Disk world beliefs, tales, folk lore and superstitions.
Would have been great to have this early on but then it has grown out of what has been introduced over the years and is really enjoyable read.
If you like Terry's Disk-world you will enjoy this

The Folklore of Discworld
The Folklore of Discworld by Sir Terry Pratchett (Hardcover - 11 Sep 2008)
Used & New from: £3.22