on 26 December 2013
A great read and an insight into the origins of our world and Disk world beliefs, tales, folk lore and superstitions.
Would have been great to have this early on but then it has grown out of what has been introduced over the years and is really enjoyable read.
If you like Terry's Disk-world you will enjoy this
As a fairly long - term fan of the Discworld series, I found this book entrancing. I enjoy reading books on folklore and traditions, so this was right up my street, combining both interests. Sometimes I've read a Discworld passage and chuckled knowingly as to where Terry got THAT idea from - the gonnagles, Bel-Shamharoth, the Necrotelicomnicon for example. Some were ideas where nearly everyone can share the joke - Quoth The Raven, Cohen the Barbarian. I didn't know about Black Annis, though, the inspiration for Black Aliss, or that a stone in Rheims cathedral is said to have the marks of Christ's buttocks.

The book is full of interesting pieces, where Dr Jacqueline Simpson's deeply scholarly knowledge has explained some fact or told a story of which you were almost certainly previously unaware. If you are a person who has stumbled across this whilst looking for resources on folklore in general, it might be well worthwhile looking out for some of Dr Simpson's previous books - I certainly intend to. As for Sir Terry himself - this book is a worthy addition to the Discworld canon. I loved it.
on 12 February 2013
I hoped that this book would be like the Science of Discworld books: those were mostly about science, with alternating story chapters to give breathing and thinking space. Unfortunately the Folklore of Discworld is mostly actually about the Discworld: if you've read the books, then two-thirds of this book will be dull re-hashing of what you've already read (the book is liberally padded with excerpts from the books). The other third is interesting however: history of folklore on earth, from around the world. Sadly there just isn't enough of the interesting stuff.
on 23 December 2015
I had avoided buying this simply because I thought it would simply cover old ground, but I bought it as a stress-buster when I needed some relaxing reading - and I really enjoyed it. I thought I knew a bit about our own folklore but I learned a lot more from this book and was intrigued to discover the source of some of Pratchett's ideas. A very entertaining and informative read. As another reviewer has noted, it is necessary t have read some of the Discworld series to appreciate this book; however, there are extracts from the novels to explain points when necessary. I was sorry when I had finished it. I was also once again utterly astonished by the breadth and depth of Pratchett's reading.
on 14 September 2010
Not nearly as interesting as I'd hoped, and I even had to put it down out of boredom several times. It seemed mainly to concentrate on 'creatures' rather than 'legends, myths and customs' which in my opinion got rather short shrift. This probably arises from trying to cram too much into this small volume, but disappointing as the authors clearly understand and enjoy their subject and should have been allowed a bit more space.
on 29 May 2013
I am a die-hard Pratchett fan and have bought all his books so I had to buy this, too. It's okay but there's nothing new so I'm just waiting for then next Discworld novel....
on 9 May 2013
I enjoyed this and found it very informative. It answered several questions I have long had about British customs. I never cease to be amazed by Terry Pratchett's depth of knowledge about so many things
on 14 May 2013
Having read reviews of this before I bought it I was prepared to be disappointed, but in fact found myself completely absorbed and thoroughly entertained. The clever blending of Pratchetts fiction with existing folklore has left me working through the list of further reading at the end of the book.
on 10 October 2009
An excellent add - on to any collector of Terry Pratchett. This book is informative and entertaining at the same time. This could be read by anyone interested in Folklore in general as there is so much of that as well. It is a book which can be dipped in and out of with ease so ideal holiday reading. Trouble is there is a great bibliography at the end so if you fancy reading more, you'd have to wait til you got home. As with all Pratchett, it educates at the same time as letting you think you are having some guilty Fantasy reading pleasure. Personally, I loved the artwork so would have liked more, but that's just greedy...
on 12 April 2009
I enjoyed this more than the science of discworld books( mainly because I understood more) and I think that it's a worthwhile addition to any discworld collection.