4.0 out of 5 stars The True Jacqueline Wilson Story
The true Jacqueline Wilson story. I Have only read one of her other books, but I think I can still say that this book is very true to her fictional style. JW really can write for children. She knows what they want and need and how to present it. Easy and entertraining. 100% child friendly.

Even thou I'm not a child anymore (ie a bit too old for this book) I...
Published on 30 Jun 2007 by Faith

3.0 out of 5 stars Kelly 812
There are some quite tricky words in the book so I wouldn't recommend it for younger reader's but it is still a very good book so people who can understand what the word's should go and have a try !
Published 11 months ago by Joely Grace

4.0 out of 5 stars The True Jacqueline Wilson Story, 30 Jun 2007
This review is from: Jacky Daydream (Hardcover)

Even thou I'm not a child anymore (ie a bit too old for this book) I really enjoyed the book. JW just writed in a fun way. All thou at some points i as an adult reader of course really felt that I was not part of the audience she is actaully writing for. But I really feel it workr perfectly for elementary school children. JW has really got emphaty, symphaty for her readers.

Her childhood wasn't that unordinary, but that's probably the point. Her goal is to write about ordinary things. But for children of today her childhood in the 50s might actually seem a bit exotic. But still JW makes sure that any 2000s kid can relate to what she is writing.

JW talks to children, but she doesn't talk down to them. She wants to involve them and includes her authorship in the book by relating every chapter to an episode in some of her fictional books. She shows how there is a connection between her real life and her fictional books. She lets the children in on her writing process. All this in a 100% child friendly way.

As an adult reader I am of course longing for a follow up. What happened next? Because the story of Jacqueline Wilson of course doesn't end when she finishes primary school and knows she will be an author some day. I would really like to know about the adult years of this great author, but that is of course not what this book is about. It is a whole other story and it could of course not be written in a child friendly way, because children want to read about children, not adults. And in JW's case her childhood really is the most relevant part of her life, since that's where she gets her inspiration for her books.

All in all I really understand why Jacqueline Wilson is the most borrowed author in the libraries of Britain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jacky Daydream - it is a fascinating book to read!, 21 Dec 2008
This review is from: Jacky Daydream (Hardcover)
Jacky Daydream is a very good, interesting book, like all other Jacqueline Wilson books, but is obviously different in the way that this is Jacqueline Wilson's life and background when she was growing up. The book describes a bit of the war, and how food was rationed, and it also says that she writes quite stressing books about divorce and family upsets because of when her Grandma was young she had quite a bad life, as her mother had died and then her dad didn't want her in his life at first.
This story is quite touching and very interesting. You realize how hard life was then for most poeple as it was the war, with the food rationing etc. The only problem about this book is that you might find it slightly boring, but I still really enjoyed reading it!
I would recommend this book to anyone, really, or from age 8+. READ IT - IT IS VERY INTERESTING AND GOOD!

4.0 out of 5 stars Review of an 11 year old Jacky Daydream by an 11 year old ..., 8 May 2008
A. Rowan (Tanzania) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jacky Daydream (Paperback)
As soon as I heard about the book Jacky Daydream I longed to have it - for two reasons: one - I needed a good book to read and Jacqueline Wilson has never disappointed me and two, after all the books I'd read by her based on children with problems like their parents splitting up or their best friend moving away or their pets dying, I ached to know how Jacqueline Wilson grew up: had she suffered what many of her characters had suffered?

And Jacky Daydream had all the answers to my questions; it had everything from birth to books! It told me all about how things were when Jacqueline Wilson was a child; it described her rooms and had chapters on her family, friends and teachers. It was like going through a time machine starting on the 17th December 1945 when she was born and seeing how she grew up in a flat with her parents, Biddy and Harry; and how Biddy kept her squeaky clean and their flat too, of course! And going right through to when Jacqueline Wilson and her parents went to live with her grandparents and how Hilda Ellen (her gran) told her stories of her own childhood. Poor Hilda Ellen had a very disrupted childhood, moving about a lot.

I read how Jacqueline Wilson loved dolls and got one every Christmas. I also read about her first day of school and those that followed. She made many friends and when she was 11 - like I am now - I almost cried for her poor friend, Christine's, tragic situation (her mum was dying).

Then there was Jacqueline Wilson's father, Harry, who could be sweet and gentle but could burst into fiery moods which Jacqueline Wilson hated; as well as her parents rowing.

I loved the fact that Jacqueline Wilson had imaginary friends and played imaginary games by herself and sometimes with her friends. And - of course - like any good writer, she loved books and two chapters were dedicated to her love of reading and the books she enjoyed.

At the end of each chapter Jacqueline Wilson would pose a question like:

In which of my books did one of my characters do such-and-such?

And then she would answer her question and include an extract from one of her other books and reveal some of her thoughts on that book. And I could see the connections that she had with some of her characters.

The Epilogue included some school reports and a quick review of JW's teenage years.

And a clever ending!

It must have been hard for JW to recall so much of her childhood with such colourful interest, but I think she did an excellent job of making it readable and so brought a writer I love to life, especially as she included photographs.

by Hattie Rowan, aged 11, Tabora, Tanzania

4.0 out of 5 stars Jacqueline sure knows how to write, 8 Aug 2007
This review is from: Jacky Daydream (Hardcover)
'Jacky Daydream' is the story of Jacqueline Wilson's childhood and follows her childhood memories and experiences. What is interesting about this novel is that many of Wilson's own experiences are portrayed strongly in her novels, such as how she dealt with an unpredictable father. She certainly had an interesting childhood, growing up in post-war Britain with many of the old war customs still in place.

This is lovely read for children and adults who follow Jacqueline Wilson. It shows what life was like for children in the 1940's and how much time has changed since then.

I would strongly recommend this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Here's what I thought...., 13 Sep 2009
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Jacky Daydream (Paperback)
Jacky Daydream is the life of Jaculine Wilson up to year 6. This brilliant book has unseen photos, her own school reports and a little preview of the next book.(My sectet diary)In this page turning book discover how Jacky dealt with an unpredictable father, like Pure in Love Lessons. How she chose new toys in Hamleys, like Dolfin in the Illustrated Mum and how she sat entrance exams, like Ruby in Double Act.....I thought it was fab!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable, 20 Nov 2007
This review is from: Jacky Daydream (Hardcover)
Jacqueline Wilson's amazing memory, honesty and writing skills combine to make a fascinating, readable and moving autobiography. Would-be writers -- especially girls -- will enjoy it hugely.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!!!!!!!, 12 May 2014
This review is from: Jacky Daydream (Kindle Edition)
I have never known sooo much about a writer!!! what a fabtastic idea to write about yourself and then inclue questions about some of your own books bu i have to warn you, you wil of needed to read every other book of jaacky's!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars and it's written like one of her stories, 14 Sep 2014
Gracie N. (Durham, England. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jacky Daydream (Hardcover)
Read this when I was about nine or ten after borrowing it from my local library(?) and at fifteen and now building up a little library, I thought why not?

This is not a fictional story - it's a little autobiography-type book where Jacqueline Wilson's documents her childhood, and it's written like one of her stories!

I loved it and it's pretty enjoyable. She describes funny things that have happened in her life, stories funny stories about her and her friends, and some stories which lightly brush on subjects like puberty and cancer related to her friends (Just as a little warning to younger potential readers), stories about her holidays and school:-)

I would recommend it for children aged from about nine? x

5.0 out of 5 stars Jacky Daydream - 4 stars, 7 April 2008
L. Miles (St Ives, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jacky Daydream (Paperback)
I thought this book was very good. It was very cleverly-written and I enjoyed the parts at the end of each chapter where Jaqueline Wilson compares one of her books to the things she wrote about in that chapter. The reason it is so well written is the brilliant amount of detail it goes into. I also loved the pictures and the reports at the end. I can't even think of anything this book could have improved on, it was so good!

5.0 out of 5 stars love love this book, 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: Jacky Daydream (Hardcover)
I choose this book to replace a library book which had been misplaced at school. my daughter loves this book and I would recommend to girls round the age of 9 years. Thanks again fro the first class service which I recieved

Jacky Daydream
Jacky Daydream by Jacqueline Wilson (Hardcover - 1 Mar 2007)
Used & New from: £0.01