5.0 out of 5 stars unseen a must see
i was suprised at the quality of the book and model. the artwork is outstanding and when made up the university makes an excellant backdrop for the small pewter discworld figures.

it is a real shame to cut out the parts as the artwork is quite beautiful.

Published on 8 Nov 2006 by S. Cook

3.0 out of 5 stars Castles in the sky.
Published on 1 Jan 2011 by Kenneth N. Hambly

5.0 out of 5 stars unseen a must see, 8 Nov 2006
S. Cook "stevetygertiger" (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Unseen University Cut-Out Book (Paperback)

it is a real shame to cut out the parts as the artwork is quite beautiful.

ideal for the long winter nights,grab your scissors glue,(i recomend pva)put on a discworld talking book take the phone off the hook and lose yourself for an enjoyable few hours.

one point, i would not buy this for a child, far too difficult.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Unseen University Cut Out Book, edited 13/01/07, 19 Dec 2006
P. Wilcock (Manchester (U.K)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Unseen University Cut-Out Book (Paperback)
very addictive, not really suited for a novice, some of the instructions are a bit confusing (but good on the whole), and some of the tabs (when cut out) are on the small side.Also advise getting a compass cutter (makes cutting and scoring circles a lot easier and quicker, well wotrh the 4.00 I paid for one)

5.0 out of 5 stars Unseen University made seen, 23 Aug 2009
Adam Sliwinski (Poznan, Poland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Unseen University Cut-Out Book (Paperback)
A thing just essential for any Discworld lover. For anyone who knows how not to cut himself, comprehensive instructions allow to built this really lovely model with pleasure; for more experienced card modellers, it would take some weeks giving much joy.
I made the first cut a week ago, and after two weekends (with no time in weekdays) have done all the Hub side, with merely no problems - the only one is that the model is so precise that there's no space for glue. Nevertheless, IMHO this is the nicest card models I've ever worked on (and there were (and will be) many others).
So, if you want to see the Unseen - just buy it and do your duty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really quite daunting in retrospect, 29 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Unseen University Cut-Out Book (Paperback)
Have you ever thought about how to dismantle a book?
I do mean taking it apart, carefully, not just tearing it to pieces; and I suppose I must further clarify that as being physical, not metaphorical.
I had decided that I needed a project to take my mind off the process of waiting for an appointment for an operation, and that none of my outstanding model-railway projects would do. I selected "the Unseen University cut-out book". I already had two copies of this 2006 publication, bought in a local branch of Waterstones at the time of publication. The second copy was bought after I had read the preface in the first copy I bought, where Terry Pratchett suggested, with reason, "Why not buy two copies?" The reasons for having two copies still stand: to use one to build a good model and still have the original as well. So I went and got a third, from Amazon, because I didn't expect this one to turn out well. Experience with model railway kits also tells me that the second attempt always turns out MUCH better.
Now the instructions have an amazingly-good two pages "Dummies' Guide to cut-out buildings". There are things I want to add to it, like "Have TWO straight-edges - one long and heavy, one short and light" and "Have a curved scalpel as well as a straight one". The latter is because of the paradoxical observation that, when cutting freehand, it is easier to cut a curved line with a straight blade and easier to cut a short straight line with a curved blade. That's because you can simply `roll' the blade along the printed line-to-be-cut. These two general pages are followed by detail pages of "how to" assemble each building in the set.
BUT, and it's a big but, although the instructions tell you what to do with the pages once you have them separated out from the book, they don't tell you how to achieve that state. The book is very well-made, possibly too much so for the task for which it is nominally published. Examining it, it appears to be made of classical `signatures', although they don't seem to be actually sewn, which are then set into good-quality glue, and then further bound by the thick cover.
My first attempt was simply to break the spine at the junction between the text and the cut-out pages. That failed. Then I tried taking the cover off. In that, I succeeded in slow instalments. The cover is still in one piece, having worked alternately from front and back, just a bit frayed along the portion that was glued to form the spine. ...and the rest of the book was still obstinately in one piece. I then took a large scalpel to the place where I had attempted to break the spine, and worked along, very slowly. The first attempt, with a straight blade, was abandoned, very quickly, because the blade `wandered' into the thickness of the card. I used a curved blade, pushing it through the glue of the spine, and then moved along by the width of the blade and did it again. That was very slow, but eventually successful.
...And still, I had a solid block of pages. I still haven't found a good, quick, method of separating the next page. I just have to repeat the same slow cautious method originally used to break the book in two. ...and the `cut' edge of the page is still very ragged; fortunately, the book isn't printed right up to the inner edge. Then, from time to time, I clean-up the cut edge of the remaining block. I have had to dig out the flush end-cutters that I put away before starting this project.
Sigh. Why couldn't they have published it in etched brass? I know how to handle that. But then I wouldn't have used it for this project.
Then, do build the project in the order suggested. I wondered why some of the "These be" models were not done first. Because they are smaller, they are actually MORE difficult to make, and they have fewer right-angles in them. The Observatory introduces you to the method used for building towers, and that leads into the "Tower of Art". There are a suspiciously-large number of internal compenents with seven-A-fold symmetry - surely that should not have been designed into THIS model? Since I'm not working, but waiting, I can spend as much time as I like on building the model. I find that works out to about 3 pages a day, five days a week, so it's going to take a full month to complete - but then I sometomes take a week off to do something else.
If you want a really good representation of the Unseen University, then this is not for you; go out and pay a lot of money on eBay for the original limited-edition solid models as they come up for sale. Remember, this is a cardboard model of a solid model. On the other hand, if you are unsure whether to pay the asking prices for the originals, this may convince you one way or the other.
You will end up spending more on glue and scalpel blades than the cost of the book, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars pratchett fans will love this!, 9 Dec 2009
This review is from: The Unseen University Cut-Out Book (Paperback)
All Pratchett and model making fans will love this, its not for the faint hearted and the mammouth task will give hours of fun. this is not something for a young children and some adults to do. The detail is brilliant. i bought this for a freinds xmas gift but on seeing it i have to have my own copy. well worth the money too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 25 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Unseen University Cut-Out Book (Paperback)
What can I say - this is Terry Pratchett! If you are a fan then try to get a copy a.s.a.p as they are getting harder and harder to find! Yet another amazing Discworld book from a fabulous author!

5.0 out of 5 stars amazon aced it again, 18 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Unseen University Cut-Out Book (Paperback)
chuffed to bits - didn't think i'd be able to get this in such good condition at such a great price thanks amazon

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever clogs, 10 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Unseen University Cut-Out Book (Paperback)
Excellent product - perserve it will be worth it in the end , took two months to make but very pleased .

5.0 out of 5 stars I may be a novive, but I'm getting a lot of fun out of this, 18 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Unseen University Cut-Out Book (Paperback)
I support the reviews that have gone before me. This is a huge project, highly detailed and not for the impatient or young hands.

I bought this as a Terry Pratchett fan with near to no experience of paper modelling.

However, with a steel ruler, a snap blade craft knife some PVA glue and a lot of spare time, spread over a number of months I've been putting together the buildings. I have just one left to do, then the big problem of deciding where to put it all!

Yes, it's fiddly in places and you need a steady hand with the knife, but over the months, an hour here and there it's proven most rewarding and relaxing.

Well worth a shot

3.0 out of 5 stars Castles in the sky., 1 Jan 2011
Kenneth N. Hambly "Ken Hambly" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Unseen University Cut-Out Book (Paperback)
This is a real cut-out book for officionados only. It is large and immensly complicated. Completing the University would take months if not years. Every detail requires a lot of work, so don't think of giving it to children or casual cut-and-pasters. I doubt if the book I have purchased will ever be started, let alone finished. Having said that, it is a work of art and almost worth having just because it is so good, complicated and beautiful to look at. If you have adult children to please or a long vacation/illness to get through, this may be for you. You would also have to be a Terry Pratchett fan to get full value from the book.

The Unseen University Cut-Out Book
The Unseen University Cut-Out Book by Bernard Pearson (Paperback - 2 Oct 2006)
Used & New from: 17.50