5.0 out of 5 stars Terry Pratchett - Where's My Cow?
Published on 27 Sep 2005 by RachelWalker

3.0 out of 5 stars A discworld book. And so I bought it...
I bought the book the way I normally buy all things Discworld (and Pratchett). I pre-order when a publication date is announced and hold my breath for as long as is humanly possible until it is finally published and eventually delivered.
Published on 3 Oct 2005 by Edward Muscat Azzopardi

5.0 out of 5 stars Terry Pratchett - Where's My Cow?, 27 Sep 2005
RachelWalker "RachelW" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Where's My Cow? (Discworld) (Hardcover)
A spin-off from his latest full length Discworld novel, "Where's My Cow?" is the book Sam Vimes must return home to read to his son at six o-clock every day, without fail. Without fail. "where's my cow?" "Is that my cow?" "It goes 'baa'" "It's a sheep." "That's not my cow" And thus it goes. Vimes thinks this is a little ridiculous, to read to a boy who lives in a city and will only ever see a cow cooked on a plate, and sets out to change the story a little to fit with Anhk-Morpork...
This is 11 pounds. It's 38 pages or less. That is steep. Especially as it took me only about five minutes to read. But: it was a very very fun five minutes! I recommend it highly as fun little curio: very intelligent for such a short children's book, very fun and funny also. I don't exactly know what the point of it is, though. Is it REALLY supposed to be for children? Or is it just something for true Discworld fanatics (as I am) to buy and enjoy?
There's not a lot else to say about it. It's very short. The illustrations are good and entertaining (I never realised Vimes looked so much like Pete Postlethwaite...). It's a lot of fun, nicely bound and designed, and is a nice metafictional trick, to boot. But it's expensive for what it is. But that won't stop many people buying it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read for both my son *and* me, 8 May 2007
S. Vaughan (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Where's My Cow? (Discworld) (Hardcover)
Although I think every Pratchett fan should read this book, there isn't much story to it and probably only two groups will find it worth buying - the hard-core fans who have to have *everything* by him, and the parents of small children.

I fall into the second category, and, as such, would heartily recommend it to other Pratchett parents. A children's book that's enjoyable rather than tiresome to adults and that stands up to endless rereads is a treasure that a parent can't afford to miss. This is a superbly funny satire of the normal structure of a children's book, with some of the best illustrations I've ever seen. (I don't know who Melvyn Grant is, but where *was* he when the illustrations were being done for the covers of the other Discworld books? His fantastic blends of realistic-looking characters and fantasy-dreamworld leave Josh Kirby standing. I hope this guy is hired for every new edition in the future.)

Like one of the other reviewers, I would also not have read this book to a child. My husband thought differently, and so, it turned out, did our son. When my husband introduced him to the book at the age of 21 months, he loved it. And, no, he hasn't started saying 'Bugrit' yet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cow Can You Criticise?, 31 July 2006
This review is from: Where's My Cow? (Discworld) (Hardcover)
I'm not Terry Pratchett's biggest fan. I'm not the kind to buy something just because his name's on the front. Trust me.

This short book has humour and is targeted at an older audience than it pretends to be. If you want a "proper" kids' book, look elsewhere. If you want a "proper" adult's book (a concept which frustrates me and highlights the kind of person to read the adult-cover Harry Potter books because they're terrified of seeming immature) the same applies. But if you want a pleasing and amusing spoof of kids' books, then come here. I loved every page, and the illustrations are superb.

3.0 out of 5 stars A discworld book. And so I bought it..., 3 Oct 2005
This review is from: Where's My Cow? (Discworld) (Hardcover)
The book is marvellously presented, pulling out almost all tricks of the printing trade and smearing them liberally all over the cover. Lavish once again are the illustrations, rendered in an almost turn-of-the-century (last century, that is) detail and mood. Discworld characters are excellently depicted and detailed in sharp contrast to the simplicity of the farm animals that jostle for space on the colourful pages.
Then comes the story, almost. The narrative attempts to recocile the typical wry tones of Sam Vimes with the simplicity of a book for toddlers in not more than 300 words so I couldn't help feeling a bit cheated. There is a point made about the subjects in children's books hardly representing real life, since kids never really get to see farmyards when living in the city centre. However, despite having been brought up on the likes of C.S. Lewis and Roald Dahl, I never felt disappointed at the lack of encounters with benevolent (and omnipotent) lions or bald women with no toes.
I recall a similar sense of dismay at "Wolves in the walls" by Neil Gaiman, another illustrated story for people of all sizes, but that scored more points with me having a genuine appeal for an adult audience. Perhaps I should not have misinterpreted 'all sizes' for 'all ages'.
For the sake of having all Mr Pratchett ever wrote, buy this book, dedicate 2 minutes to reading it and half an hour to pore over the illustrations but do not expect anything novel about the Discworld.
Do not expect a novel, either.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Fantastic, 19 Aug 2011
This review is from: Where's My Cow? (Discworld) (Hardcover)
My husband loves Terry Pratchett books so we bought this for him to read to my daughter aged 1 or 2 and she used to want it read every night. She still loves him reading it now and she is 8 and my four year old and one year old love it too. It is funny and lovely to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars a good way to get the kids hooked on reading, 17 Feb 2008
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Where's My Cow? (Discworld) (Hardcover)
I've been reading this to my friends children and they love it. Especially the youngest. He likes to follow the story while I point at the words. He even stops me when I miss a bit or make a mistake.

I will be moving the older ones onto the "Tiffany Aching" books this week.

It's a great book for kids (and adults too).

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Bedtime Read - for the kids, 29 Aug 2006
Iain Davidson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Where's My Cow? (Discworld) (Hardcover)
I was given this book by a diehard Pratchett fan, after our son (Sam) was born. Now a year on Sam loves being read the book by his Daddy, including all the associated noises, we skip over Foul Ole Ron for obvious reasons

If you expected a classic discworld book, then obviously this isn't it, but as a book to read, and make a complete twit of yourself for the pleasure of the kids, then it a must.

The pictures are bright and colourful, which Sam loves, pity it isn't a bit more robust, as it is looking a bit chewed and soggy round the edges now.

So what next, Discworld pop-up childrens books ?

5.0 out of 5 stars A glorious read for all ages - really!, 9 Oct 2005
Y. E. Baron (Salford, Grtr Manchester United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Where's My Cow? (Discworld) (Hardcover)
My nine year old loved it, I loved it, my parents enjoyed it and I can't wait to read it to my 5 year old (who appreciates humorous stuff). This is a children's book with the adult's (usually unspoken or, in my house, voiced loudly to the kids!)comments as a part of the book. The tie in to the DiscWorld Series makes it enjoyable for its association and the illustrations, well...... Wow! My kids loved them and I liked them too. They were just right, not too childish and the baby was so true to life, we loved him!
Many thanks to Author and illustrator for a refreshing twist on an old well used story theme!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Vital Companion to Thud!, 6 Nov 2005
This review is from: Where's My Cow? (Discworld) (Hardcover)
If you've read Thud! then you know that each night, come rain, shine, or impossible traffic Commander Sam Vimes is home at six to read Where is My Cow? to his young son. It is the most popular book in the nursery and he has it memorized.
In this wonderful volume we not only get the original text of Where is My Cow? but we also see Sam reading to young Sam and the one night that he decides to try the unauthorized Where is My Daddy? rendition. Just one note though, this isn't a children's book--it is meant to look like one, but you wouldn't read it as a bedtime story to your three year old.
If you've kept up with Pratchett's Discworld novels then this is definately the book for you, especially if you enjoy tales of Sam Vimes and the City Watch. Even the Librarian recommends it with an enthusiastic "Ook!" Of course if you're new to Discworld then this makes a great introduction to the humour of Pratchett without many spoilers as to previous books and their varied and sundry plots. I highly recommend this essential companion to Thud!

4.0 out of 5 stars wheres my cow, 15 Oct 2011
Mrs. C. Clark (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Where's My Cow? (Discworld) (Hardcover)
Brought this for my son,s birthday to read to his 18mth old daughter who loves listening to stories even at her age, he thought it was great he is a terry pratchet fan and his little girl was all ears she loved it to.

Where's My Cow? (Discworld)
Where's My Cow? (Discworld) by Terry Pratchett (Hardcover - 1 Oct 2005)
7.69