5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!
Published on 13 April 2008 by S

1.0 out of 5 stars Eldest "Kindle Edition"
I thought after reading the book "Which is great by the way" i would get the kindle edition also, A big mistake. ..

The Kindle edition has soo many spelling mistakes and grammer mistakes, who are the "wardens"?. and why is every single page indented by 8 characters.

Book is great, but the kindle edition is god awaful :-(
Published on 21 May 2011 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 13 April 2008
This review is from: Eldest (Paperback)
I personally liked this book even better than the first, Eragon, which has been one of my definite favourites. The plot is engaging, fast moving and origional with fantasy brought to life as though reality. The characters are also brought to life - as complex individuals - and the book is difficult to put down. The subtlety in many places also makes Eldest a good read for the second or even third time, as some moments just have to be re-experienced, and you also notice things you missed before. Revealing answers are found to some of the questions posed in Eragon, whilst leaving others to be explained in the next book, Brisinger. There is also a fantastic twist at the end of Eldest, which although very surprising is utterly believable as it fits in perfectly with the rest of the story. Overall, these books are a must-read; not to be missed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Darkness Falls...Despair abounds...Evil Reigns..., 21 Aug 2005
Jasper Wong "jbywong" (Canterbury, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eldest (The Inheritance Cycle) (Hardcover)
The Inheritance trilogy consists of Eragon, Eldest, Empire.
Read Eragon first, you will not understand Eldest, as it is filled with infomation and parts referring to the 1st book, Eragon.
Despite critics literally screaming "this is a weak copy of the LOTR trilogy!", these 2 (and hopefully 3) books are entertaining, absorbing, and serious fantasy. The unfortunate thing about these 2 books is that they do take a lot of influence from the LOTR trilogy. From the characters (Orcs) to the writing style (similar type of writing, and so on). But, as I said in my 'Eragon' review, no-one intentionally tries to copy, resemble, or poke fun at another book, unless the author is writing a parody.
Eragon seemed a little slow and dreamy at the beginning, but Eldest thrusts you into the action the moment you start. In Eldest, you follow the stories of two people, Eragon Shadeslayer, the slayer of Durza and rider of Saphira, and Roran Garrowsen, the uncle of Eragon. Eragon decides to travel to the land of the elves (ellesmera) to train his magic and swordsmanship. But along the way there is plenty of danger, magic, fights, sarcasm, and of course, adventure. Far away, Roran must defend Carvahall from Ra'Zac and orcs who invade almost everyday, trying to find, or even collect infomation about Eragon or Roran.
The one noticable difference between Eragon and Eldest is that Poalini's writing style has changed again. His writing has become noticeably more mature and darker, depicting scenes of evil more powerfully. In Eldest, Eragon is more like a man on a mission, rather than a teenager who is trying to find a certain area. There are less carefree moments for Eragon, and more 'I must follow my destiny' determination. This is by far a good thing for me, but for younger and less mature readers it might be a bad thing, considering that the pace of the book has dropped quite sharply. The Roran-Eragon switch every 40 something pages keeps you from concentrating on both characters.
Eldest is even longer than the already big Eragon (500 something pages, while Eldest is around 700 pages) I also find it increadible that Eldest retained the quality of Eragon, even though it is a sequel to a highly successful book. Though darker, more mature, longer, and slower-paced, Eldest still retains whatever qualities that Eragon has, while adding more details and information about Alagaesia. A fantastic book, even more so than Eragon.
If you have read Eragon, and not read Eldest, buy it and read it, if you have read none, buy both, and read.

4.0 out of 5 stars An easy read..., 16 Oct 2006
Champignon (Newcastle, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eldest (Paperback)
I was in WHSmiths desperately looking for a good book to read to take on my flight- when Eldest caught my eye. It was totally by chance, and I had never heard of the author= however it had a dragon on the front cover, and as I favour Fantasy- I thought I couldnt really go wrong! In my haste I forgot to check if it was in a series- which of course it was- this was the scond book...so I haven't actually read the first in the Inheritence trilogy, entitled Eragon. Initially I thought that this may pose a problem , which thankfully it did not- and I was quickly swept away with Eragon and his adventure.

As far as the story goes- Eldest has loads to offer and has all the elements of a good fantasy novel. I do however, think the writing is a bit rushed at times- and perhaps lacking in real depth. Paolini has crammed and crammed, which of course leads to excitement and a fast pace, but left me personally feeling a bit dissatisfied with certain factors of the plot.

I really enjoyed the development of various characters, and I like the fact that Paolini entwined philosophy and controversial ways of thinking with Eragons training and journey to maturity. It is trully captivating.

Obviously, the central themes to the book aren't new, and there are definate likenings to other established fantasy works- but I still really enjoyed reading it. This isn't a masterpiece by any means- but in places has the most beautiful imagery and writing- which make for a gripping read...give it a chance.

1.0 out of 5 stars Eldest "Kindle Edition", 21 May 2011

Book is great, but the kindle edition is god awaful :-(

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 5 Feb 2007
K. C. Simm "kenart" (Lancashire UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Eldest (Paperback)
The enfant terrible of new fantasy Christopher Paolini goes from strength to strength. Whilst the first novel in this series did have its weak points and was admittedly a prodigious work written by a prodigy, this latest volume is far more self assured. Rich in detail, well written and a very worthy book. Adventure story telling at its best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but the plot is somewhat familiar... Star Wars anyone?, 9 May 2007
Ian Clement "Rockin and Rollin all night" (Eyemouth, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eldest (Paperback)
Don't get me wrong. I think this trilogy is excellent. But I have notice a VERY similar plot between this and... Star Wars! Yes, this story is Star Wars in a Lord of the Rings world! And it's really good! I mean think about it: Luke Skywalker lives with his uncle on a farm... So does Eragon! Luke gets a inherits a blue lightsaber and has to carry on an ancient culture... Eragon gets a blue dragon and carries on the legacy of the dragon riders! And it goes on. I'm not going to give it all though because there are some that haven't seen Star Wars (i'm not joking) and I dont want to spoil this book for them. Because although it has some major similarities it's still a great story that needs to be read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed by a 69 year old child, 17 April 2007
Peter Miller (Sudbury, Suffolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Eldest (Paperback)
I read an awful lot of fantasy, in fact almost nothing else. I enjoyed this book very much.

However I feel that it has slowed down a lot compared with Eragon, the first book in the trilogy. Eragon spends most of his time learning to be a dragon rider but all is not lost, his brother provides plenty of action in the mean time.

I have to say that Christopher Paolini is a brilliant writer, his story is equal to most other fantasy writers and better than many much older than he is.

When is the last in the series coming out? I want it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christopher Poalini :"Eldest", 24 July 2006
Mr. Craig D. Halsall "C.Halsall" (Bordon, Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eldest (The Inheritance Cycle) (Hardcover)
Once i read Eragon i thought that the second book wouldn't be as good, but was i wrong!

The way the book was written with the interwebbing of the two lives of Eragon and Roran was a superb idea.

There are extracts from the book that are purely sublime, i read them over and over again.

I think in comparison to the first one it is better overall especially the ending, not that i wanted it to finish.

I think that if you follow that pattern of the books they keep getting better, so the third book should be the best yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fandabidosie!, 12 Jan 2007
Book Worms (Glastonbury, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eldest (Paperback)
I am 14 and I thought this book was fantastic. My dad bought the first one and after that I just couldn't wait to read this. I still read parts of it almost every day, especially when I am unhappy, and can barely put it down to go to bed.

I like the character Eragon because unlike most heroes he is not perfect and spends his time being saved by people who are smarter and more powerful than him including his dragon Saphira.

The film of Eragon was awful but I can't wait for the next book to come out!

5.0 out of 5 stars I really want to know what happens next :), 1 April 2007
This review is from: Eldest (Paperback)
"Eldest", second book in Christopher Paolini's "Inheritance" triology, picks up where "Eragon" ended, and allows us to know what is going to happen with Eragon, Saphira and their friends, and what they will need to do in order to survive the wrath of king Galbatorix. If you haven't read the first book in the series, please do so before tackling this one. You can understand what happens in "Eldest" without having read "Eragon", but I think you will not enjoy what happens half as much.

Now, my opinion regarding "Eldest". Truth to be told, I loved the first book in the series, but I liked this one even more. From my point of view, Paolini manages to make Eragon's world more believable, without letting the magic go. That doesn't mean that this book is perfect, or that it doesn't have some scenes that are somewhat slow. All the same, I think it deserves 5 stars because it is the kind of book you cannot stop reading once you start, the kind of book that makes you wish you could read the final book of the triology instead of having to wait for it.

What is new in "Eldest", then? Well, Eragon has to travel to Ellesmera (the land of the Elves), in order to continue his training as a dragon raider. Along the way he will meet some new friends and foes, and discover new information about people he already knew. Also, the author introduces an alternative point of view in the story, that of Roran, Eragon's cousin. Roran and Eragon are far from each other, and must to face different challenges and enemies, but they have something in common: some chapters of "Eldest" will be about Eragon's adventures, and others about what is happening to Roran and his followers. As if that were not enough, we will discover two more dragon riders, and learn about what happened to Murtagh and Eragon's mother.

Of course, that are just some of the things you will find in "Eldest". The more important reason to read it is the opportunity to immerse you once again in the adventures of Eragon and Saphira, and become a dragon rider yourself, if only for a few hours. Highly recommended !

Belen Alcat

PS: To Christopher Paulini --> Please hurry up with the last book in this triology, I really want to know what happens next :)

Eldest (The Inheritance Cycle)
Eldest (The Inheritance Cycle) by Christopher Paolini (Hardcover - 25 Aug 2005)
Used & New from: 0.01