4.0 out of 5 stars For All Lovers of Food and France!
A delightful book in which Joanne shares with us 'her family recipes, passed down through the generations. From her Grandmother's 'Festival Loaf', to traditional French classics such as 'Moules Mariniere' of 'Boeuf en Daube', The French Kitchen: A Cookbook is a tantalising collection of casseroles, soups, roasts, salads, tarts and sweets.
A collaboration between a...
Published on 15 Feb 2006 by A Customer of AMAZON-UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but rather old fashioned
The images in the book are lovely.
I bought this after reading several of Joanne Harris's books but was a bit disappointed as it was written some years ago and lacked a certain modern approach !
My fault for not having noted when it was published first.
Published 23 months ago by sitges

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars For All Lovers of Food and France!, 15 Feb 2006
This review is from: The French Kitchen: A Cookbook (Paperback)
A collaboration between a writer who loves food and a former chef who loves writing about food, this delightful book gathers together simple yet stylish recipes from the heart of a French family.'

256 pages high quality, shiny pages split over 8 chapters:-

* Meat,
* Vegetables,
* Desserts
* Chocolate

sandwiched between an introduction and an index of recipe titles, along with conversion tables.

Superb full colour photography throughout.

My favourite recipes, to date, tried and tasted:-

Fillet Steak with Tarragon - 'a simple but effective way of preparing steaks, dating back to the 17th Century' -
taking just 10 minutes to prepare and the same again to cook!
&
Crunchy Roast Duck with Turnips, using legs instead of breast, therefore creating a very economical meal.

A taste of the other recipes contained within:-

Gratin Dauphinois - the ultimate potato dish,
Tarte au Citron - a super Lemon Tart
Salmon in Red Wine - an unusual combination but a rich, earthy dish which accompanies
pasta really well
Potée Auvergnate (Smoked Ham Winter Pot) - a traditional French country dish.

And, my favourite chapter has to be the last - 'CHOCOLATE'!
Chocolate Pot - 'pure indulgence of the highest order'.
Easy Chocolate Ice Cream and Chocolate Fondue share two pages and are easily adapted for children and adults alike!
Gateau Lawrence, 224/225 - simply the best, rich chocolate cake recipe I have ever made - so rich that only a sliver is
required!

5.0 out of 5 stars A permanent fixture in my kitchen!, 19 Jun 2010
This review is from: The French Kitchen: A Cookbook (Paperback)
I purchased this book sometime ago after several visits to France and wanting to recreate their delicious food back home. I chose this book after another member of our family started producing heavenly food each time we went to visit - I soon discovered their secret - they were using this cookery book.

I think I have made nearly every recipe in the book and each one is totally delicious. What I really like about it is that the recipes are simple both to make and in the ingredients called for yet you get the best meals ever at the end of it. You can come home after a day at work and in no time knock up something that people think you've spent hours on. This book has become my kitchen bible and now permanently resides next to my cooker which is more than has ever been said for the other 100s of cookbooks that reside somewhere in one of my cupboards.
The only down side to it is that there are not pictures for all the recipes but pictures of French architecture which, while pretty, don't necessarily help.

If you get this book do try all the recipes even if you initially overlook them because of their titles. For example the other night I made the 'Pigeons with peas' a recipe I had always overlooked because it didn't sound too exciting. I made it with chicken (although a gamier bird would have been better)and it was totally delicious - needless to say there is a bit more than just peas added to the bird but again a simple recipe but totally yummy.

Joanne Harris also provides some wonderful notes in each section based on her first-hand knowledge of French food and buying ingedients.

Overall definately a book worth having and a great gift for someone who loves French cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars A delight - a must-have for lovers of France & French food., 2 Jan 2007
Joan Cecil (Gloucestershire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The French Kitchen: A Cookbook (Paperback)
This book is a delight. Even to read it takes you into the heart of France, it's markets & kitchens. All the recipes I have tried were a success, but there is also a thread running through of life in a warm French family, it is as good a read as Joanne's novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase, 1 Feb 2011
This review is from: The French Kitchen: A Cookbook (Paperback)
Fantastic book. Lots of great recipies that use ingredients that are readily available. The recipies are easy to follow and so far I've loved everything I have tried. The recipies don't use an abundance of ingredients either so you are not put off by the list of ingredients that you need. Great purchase that has been used time and time again.

5.0 out of 5 stars The first bite is with the eye, 3 Nov 2005
Samantha Street "Duffton" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The French Kitchen: A Cookbook (Paperback)
And this cookbook is a visual delight - wonderful photography and a lovely read. The french onion soup recipe is fantastic - I've only made four or five recipies so far but have loved them all. I'll be putting their second book on my Christmas list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite cookbook, 22 Oct 2010
This review is from: The French Kitchen: A Cookbook (Paperback)
This is the cookbook both I & my husband cook from most often. I've tried loads of recipes, many have become staples in our home. My only complaint is that sometimes the authors are a bit imprecise (eg. they ask for yeast without specifying what type - I used instant, but smb later told me the quantity & recipe rather called for fresh). Other than that, it's great food and pictures which make you want to go to France.
I also own The French Market, like it, but use it a bit less than The French Kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars C'est Magnifique, 5 July 2012
This review is from: The French Kitchen: A Cookbook (Paperback)
I first came across this book in France a couple of years ago, always meaning to get it, but delighted to say very recently received it as a birthday present. This book is a delight in which Joanne Harris shares her family recipes, passed down through the generations. From her Grandmother's 'Festival Loaf', to traditional French classics such as 'Moules Mariniere' of 'Boeuf en Daube', The French Kitchen: A Cookbook is a wonderful collection of casseroles, soups, roasts, salads, tarts and sweets. A collaboration between a writer who loves food and a former chef who loves writing about food, this book gathers together simple yet stylish recipes from the heart of a French family. Even to read it takes you into the heart of France, its markets & kitchens. Magnificent.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply delicious, 5 July 2012
This review is from: The French Kitchen: A Cookbook (Paperback)
I live part of the time in France and part in the UK and I use this book all the time in both countries. The salads are simple to make and simply delicious . All the ingredients are easy to source and the recipes easy to follow. THe mushroom and the asparagus recipes are so good you will wonder why anyone would cook them any other way. I have bought this book for all my friends for birthday presents and regret that they now see how easy it is to make the meals I give them.

5.0 out of 5 stars A modest standard, 16 April 2012
This review is from: The French Kitchen: A Cookbook (Paperback)
This book has become a standard in my kitchen. It is not as bulky as the Larousse. But is has the classics and is well written and easy to follow. I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars French Kitchen, 12 Mar 2012
This review is from: The French Kitchen: A Cookbook (Paperback)
I love this book and the recipes in it. Easy to follow and mostly ingredients I already have or am familiar with so it's adventurous without straying too far from what a cook with reasonable experience can achieve. Can't speak for a beginner cos' I'm not one.............

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The French Kitchen: A Cookbook
The French Kitchen: A Cookbook by Fran Warde (Paperback - 3 Nov 2003)
20.00