5.0 out of 5 stars Not Another Joanne Harris Masterpiece
Published on 28 May 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Harris's first book not about food!
Having read all of Harris's other novels and having thoroughly enjoyed them I was really looking forward to Holy Fools. Unfortunately I was a tad disappointed with this one. I guessed what was going to happen in the plot sooner than I was supposed to have done (perhaps now that I am used to her style) and so the ending was a little disappointing.
Her writing has...
Published on 2 Jan 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Another Joanne Harris Masterpiece, 28 May 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Holy Fools (Hardcover)
Once again Joanne Harris has written a superb novel, in my opinion it’s the best one yet. She takes you to a small Abbey in a French village where life is comfortable, but something bad is in the air. King Henry is dead and a new Reform is on the way especially with the Church. Old wounds are opened and everyone’s dedication and belief questioned. The story is set over a six-week period where you feel you have read events for the whole day from morning vigils prayers to evening chapter prayers. The end of each day leaves you wanting more. (I couldn’t put this book down and was actually glad when my train was delayed in the mornings). The character Juliette is strong and resourceful, showing that education back then was as uninviting as the devil himself. The life Juliette thinks she is free from finds her and whether it claims her or not you’ll find out when you read it. The other characters are fantastically depicted and life at a nunnery comes across as amusing, difficult and lonely. I loved the detail and felt like I was at the Abbey myself watching events unfold, truths and lies told and emotions left unchecked. There is nothing that I disliked about the book and I recommend it to anyone who loves magic, mystery and suspense.

4.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, 5 Oct 2004
This review is from: Holy Fools (Paperback)
I've been a fan of Joanne Harris since reading Chocolat, which is one of my favourite books of all time. I've read all her work and find her style of writing absolutely delicious.

In this book, she tells the story of a woman who tries to break away from her past by joining in a monastery in rural France, though her philosophy is much more gypsy than Christian.

This book is darker and more dramatic than her previous work, but once again, the characters are both compelling and well-drawn, and the plot is unpredictable and captivating.

Short chapters and a flowing storyline make it very easy to read - in fact, I didn't like having to take a break from it and ended up staying up very late one night to finish it.

All in all it's a good book, but it's not quite Chocolat.

4.0 out of 5 stars A review from South Africa, 4 Jun 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Holy Fools (Hardcover)
Best-selling novelist Joanne Harris returns to France for her lovely new novel, Holy Fools.
Like Coastliners which precedes it, Holy Fools is set on the French coast, except this time most of the action takes place at an abbey where the main protagonist, Juliette – now living as a nun, Soeur August – has taken refuge with her infant daughter several years before.
Set in the 1600s, it juxtaposes the sometimes extreme religious values held in France at that time, as reflected by the nuns at the abbey of Sainte Marie-de-la-Mer, and those of a rough and secular age, personified by the wandering players of the circus.
Over both of these worlds hovers the spectre of Guy LeMerle, nicknamed the Blackbird – an enigmatic risk-taker who has played a large part in Juliette’s colourful past.
Only he knows that she flew the high-wire as L’Ailée, the winged one, when they travelled the country as performers.
Will he arrive at the abbey and, if so, will it necessarily mean doom for Juliette and her little girl? This solid novel (more than 400 pages) takes the reader on a journey back and forth between Juliette’s two lives and it is not clear until near the end what is going to happen.
As in other Harris novels, religious dogma takes a battering and the free-spirited Juliette is in many ways reminiscent of Vianne Rocher from the gorgeous Chocolat.
Harris writes in a fluid and engaging way, drawing the reader on like a piper ahead of a minstrels’ caravan.
Definitely one for the book club.

4.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing, 15 Feb 2009
This review is from: Holy Fools (Paperback)
I'm glad I didn't read the reviews of this book until I had finished it, because there is such a variety of opinion that I might have lost sight of my own!

On the question of historical accuracy, I agree that it's very important, and a reference to pictures of the young king with the halo of sun behind him did make me do a double-take. But apart from that I couldn't find that Harris had mistaken her kings - references are made to his Medici mother and her removal of Sully, and of his marriage at around the right time, and the whole of the book takes place before Richlieu had entered politics. I can't comment further as that's the extent of my knowledge of French history of this time, but I thought Harris's evocation of time, place and atmosphere was superb.

As to the story itself - Yes, the nuns are a sorry lot with their tics and coughs - but I thought there was nothing of the theatrical freak show about them until the actor LeMerle started to work on them. Then, what were midly irritating mannerisms were exaggerated and intensified to serve his own purpose. I thought the development of Sister Antoine in particular was excellent, as was the extraordinary battle of wills between LeMerle and the child-Abbess Isabelle, so immature and at the same time so frighteningly strong. The fact that each of the nuns was scarred in their own way seemed natural - only such women would end up in an Abbey that had deteriorated so much - materially and religiously - and that had almost fallen off the Church's radar, so that it was more a shelter for the damaged than a House of God. LeMerle had to believe that they were weak enough and damaged enough for him to be able to do as he wanted with them.

The recognisable Harris traits - a particular type of heroine, once again with a young daughter - didn't jar either. The existence of Fleur is necessary to the plot, as is Juliette's own difference from the other women. I too preferred Chocolat and also The Lollipop Shoes, but I read this book in one sitting and couldn't put it down until I'd finished it, and I'll read it again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, easy read, 25 May 2008
A. Furse "mrs_ratbert" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Holy Fools (Paperback)
Not at all the sort of book I'd usually pick up, but I read this on a recommendation and found that after I got into it I couldn't put it down - I ended up polishing it off in a day. The fact that it was set in the 1610s would usually have put me off, but I found that I could suspend my disbelief after the first few chapters, primarily because of the fascinating way Harris drew the characters: they were complex and subtlely written, and reminded me of people I have known.

Despite my prejudice, I also thought that the differing perspectives worked well, as the narrative flits between two of the main characters. I don't usually like this technique as I find that too many authors do it just for the sake of it, but here it really added to the tension of plot, which kept me guessing right to the end.

Most impressive was that even though I should have seen certain things coming - one of the thematic strands is foresight and a lot is hinted at before it is revealed - I was really gripped by the plot and what was going to happen next. A cracking read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, enchanting - a tapestry of time and people, 15 May 2003
This review is from: Holy Fools (Hardcover)
Joanne Harris has succeeded again in weaving and inter-weaving a complex story with warmth, humour and sometimes deeply troubled characters. These are characters that you feel, see and can almost touch. So powerful was the tale that I simply read and read - yet was sad to see it end. It is truly a wonderful story set deep in French revolutionary history yet it has themes so true, key and poignant to modern live. Seour Auguste is strong, beautiful, confident woman. This is a dark book similar in is depth and forboding to 'Five Quaters of the Orange'. Tension seems to seep from it's every page. Joanna Harris is truly an inspired writer who can write about anything, anyone and any period of time and make a modern audience of all ages and sexes fall in love with the story, the places and the people. Inspired

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy Fools by Joanne Harris, 13 Jan 2013
S. G. Plested "Sylvie" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Holy Fools (Kindle Edition)
She has a wonderful way to describe things and one can visualize the situations in your mind as if watching a film.
Wonderful discriptive language, easy to read, you don't want to put the book down once you started (or kindle) as it may be.

4.0 out of 5 stars An engrossing tale, 1 July 2012
Avid reader "Janet" (North Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Holy Fools (Paperback)
A bit darker and less light-hearted than some of Joanne Harris's other novels, set in a remote abbey in seventeenth century France. In a similar story-line to her other novels, Ms Harris's main character is a single female with a daughter, running away from dark forces. There is very good and detailed development of the main characters, and the historical back-cloth is interesting.

Once started, hard to put down, and I read it pretty quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterly, 31 Mar 2010
M. J. Saxton (Dewsbury, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Holy Fools (Paperback)
I was sorry I left it so long to read this because it is such an enjoyable novel and I should have treated myself to it before.

Juliette is a wonderful character to read: multi-faceted as L'Ailée and Soeur Auguste. The relationship with her daughter Fleur is full of love and care; the scenes of their days together really touching, and you can appreciate the depth of despair when the child is removed.

Juliette inspires affection in the reader because she is a perceivably good person with believable flaws. She is great as the flying heroine of the travelling players and sympathetic as the catalyst in the convent. I could use every available superlative for this character.

The plot is reminiscent of "The Devils of Loudun", to which it surely owes a debt, but Harris's twist is perfect for contemporary readers. It is also influenced by "Notre Dame de Paris" and "The Monk".

Harris has the knack of making you feel involved, as near being there as is possible. It's a wonderful talent.

LeMerle is an amalgamation of the troubadour-hero and gothic villain. He's bad, possibly mad, and definitely dangerous to know and thus has a certain glamour. He's a force to be reckoned with as he's an arch-manipulator, as witnessed in some powerful scenes with Mother Isabelle and the sisters. The duel of wits between he and Juliette develops with a plethora of thrusts worthy of the finest opponents.

It's got witchcraft, religion, intrigue, love, lust and weaves them into a damn good story.

Its link to "Coastliners" is even more engaging for Harris fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another cracker, 3 Nov 2008
This review is from: Holy Fools (Paperback)
I love Joanne Harris. There's nobody around today can spin a yarn like her. I found this to be a fantastic, gripping story, full of her usual intrigues and double bluffs. I have read other reviews on here claiming that her history is sloppy, and if that's the case, I can understand it would spoil the book for readers aware of those errors. But I'm afraid to say I just read it for was it is, and thoroughly enjoyed it. But then, I also enjoyed Coastliners, which some others have said is not their favourite. That said, Five Quarters of the Orange is still her masterpiece to me.

ARRAY(0xa3440930)

Holy Fools
Holy Fools by Joanne Harris (Hardcover - 1 May 2003)
Used & New from: 0.01