4.0 out of 5 stars Modern Youth Classic that just misses the mark
My wife is a teacher and is going through this book with her pupils. Call me snobbish, but despite her protestations that I really should read it, I was reluctant - I'm not a teenager, for one, and feared I'd find it tedious and craftless.

How wrong I was. Blackman's novel is superbly paced and stylistically clever. The dual first-person-narrative structure...
Published on 2 July 2007 by Mr. T. COLEMAN

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, but strictly for young adult readers
I am conscious that, as an adult, I'm not the target audience for this book, so I am giving Malorie Blackman's dystopian novel three stars because I'm sure a 15 year old would have enjoyed it a lot more than I did. I was expecting something like 'The Hunger Games' in terms of a writing style that could cross over from YA to 'grown up' fiction, but I found the 'Noughts &...
Published 3 months ago by Asphodelia

‹ Previous | 147 48 4953 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Sep 2014
This review is from: Black & White (Paperback)
love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 4 Feb 2005
rikki scott (Plymouth, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Noughts and Crosses (Paperback)
an AMAZING book. It is sooooooooooo sad. I couldn't put the book down at any time. It is soooo rascist if you are white because the white people are the lowest people of all and the black people rule and look down on the white. But you soon get used to the fact and manage to enjoy this THRILLING book. I am soooooo glad i read this book and would gladely read it again. you have to read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 6 Mar 2007
I got the [...] book token this year and i was like, ok i'll have a look around. When I picked this book I had no idea i'd be buying one of the best books i've ever read. I read it in approx 7 hours (with food and toilet breaks!) and never wanted to put it down. It's a story of love, loss and racism and will keep you on the edge of your seat from the first to the last word.

4.0 out of 5 stars Noughts and Crosses, 4 Nov 2003
This review is from: Noughts and Crosses (Paperback)
This book has really questioned some racial issues i never knew i had. This is brilliantly written and actually draws you into the minds of the two main characters so well the reader feels they are invading their privacy. It has a very sad ending- i dont think any book has made me cry so much. Still a very excellent book which is well worth reading. Go buy it!

2.0 out of 5 stars My parents asked me why iv'e been snoring recently. In response, i showed them this book., 4 Sep 2011
Britishwotsit (ENGLAND, SUSSEX) - See all my reviews
It was good. Had a lot of layered meanings and hidden messages, but otherwise, something about this book just didn't really "click" with me. I have no idea why. In fact i found it slightly boring at times.

The characters were quite annoying. *may be a slight spoiler here*
When i should have been pitying Sephy for her alcohol problem, i just sat there thinking "STOP DRINKING YOU IDIOT". And when Callum joined the L.M, i just thought, WHY? DO YOU NOT HAVE A BRAIN?

i thought the romance was rather dead. I didnt see the romance to begin with. But i went along with it anyway, i think the underlying plot wasnt really the romance, but the relationships between the noughts and crosses. But either way, the romance was not convincing. at. all.

The one scene that i really did like, was the scene towards the end. Callum talking to the guard:
"D'you ever wonder what it would be like if our positions were reversed?
If we whites were in charge instead of you crosses?"

Otherwise, enough went on in the book to interest me, but unfortunately, it wasnt the kind of interest that makes me think highly of a book. I think this book has a lot of potential, and no doubt, people will love it and overlook the things i have. It will "click" with others, where it hasnt with me, and i can see why, but unfortunately...

its two stars. Overall, good book, but not a good book for me. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book!!!!!!!, 20 Feb 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Noughts and Crosses (Paperback)
I love this book!!! I also loved the others in the trilogy, but Noughts and Crosses is deffinately my fave!!! It's such an emotional yet gripping book!! The main characters of Callum and Sephy work so well together and their story kept me hooked!!! A deffinate must-have for any book collection!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as clever as it likes to think it is..., 14 Jan 2009
This review is from: Noughts and Crosses (Paperback)
So let's rewrite the aparthied years with black and white reversed. Clever? Not really. Next time how about a WWII story where the Germans are the good guys and the Allies are the badies, invading Poland etc.

What shines through is an author with a massive chip on her shoulder. Get past that and it's entertaining enough to read, but by the end I had no empathy for either of the main characters.

It is possible to tell the horrors of history in a way that all will comprend without resorting to this one trick pony.

That said my 13 step-daughter loved it - so maybe not really a book for educated adults!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book i have ever read, 9 Mar 2009
A Kid's Review
I'm not saying much but if you are on the edge of buying it then i urge you to buy. You will not regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Sep 2014
good

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellnt novel for teenagers with a brain!, 9 April 2007
Miranda McDade "mirandamc" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
`Noughts and Crosses' is an excellent novel by Malorie Blackman. It tells the story of Sephy and Callum. Sephy is a cross and is therefore one of the priviledge members of society. Callum is a nought or a blanker, and is therefore a member of the oppressed class. This novel is a modern-day Romeo and Juliet with Sephy and Callum falling in love, although mixed-race couples are unheard of and against the wishes of their parents and friends. Add to this the fact that Sephy's Dad is a leading member of parliament and Callum's brother is an active member of a terrorist group the Liberation Militia, and you can imagine the problems they face.

Blackman's real ingenuity is in subverting our expectations of race by making the ruling classes Black and the oppressed group White. This might seem like an easy trick to pull, and over-simplistic, but it is in fact very effective. For example, when Callum cuts himself at one point he has to use an elastoplast which is the colour of Black skin and looks ridiculous on his pale skin. I know this is only a small thing, but have you ever thought about the colour of plasters? And how absurd it must be to put a peachy coloured plaster on Black skin? She also shows how history is told by, and belongs to, the ruling classes and is not always (ever?) accurate, but reflects the people in power's opinion of themselves and their past.

The characterisation is also very effect: Callum and Sephy are characters all teenage boys and girls will be able to relate to. They are affected by peer pressure, struggle to keep everyone happy and come to terms with their feeling for each other at the same time. They have to make decisions about their future, and they don't always make the right choices. That is another thing which I think is excellent about this book, it does not always have the expected mushy outcome. In this novel, as in life, things don't always work out for the best.

Overall, I think this is a great novel for older children, probably ages 11+ (and adults!) as it has some violent and sexual scenes, and will be enjoyed by both boys and girls. It really makes the reader think about very current issues such as racism, terrorism and of course love.

I hope this review makes you want to read this novel and the others in the trilogy, I didn't want to give away too much of the plot, because that would ruin the book for you!

‹ Previous | 147 48 4953 | Next ›

Noughts and Crosses
Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman (Hardcover - 15 Jan 2001)
Usually dispatched within 2 to 4 weeks