Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 August 2004
I am giving this book 4 stars because it is the only book available on Nuns' habits,at least that I personally know of, but if several books were in existence then I would probably drop it to 3 stars!
Well written, with nice illustrations, and certainly filling a void --there are LOTS of us who want this kind of book--but it lacks the little extras for which I hoped--ie patterns for garments, MORE detail about all the stuff the author may have regarded as too trivial to note.
I am sure there are lots of interested parties for this type of book so I do hope the author will come back with a fuller edition, showing the garments laid out flat, patterns for copying them, and so on.(Believe me nothing is too trivial for those who desire to know!)
The actual text is excellent and I am really delighted with this purchase as a whole and would certailnly recommend it wholeheartedly, but I am greedy for that bit more.
on 7 October 2005
Kuhns has done a remarkable thing in making what could be a rather dry subject into an interesting and informative read.

The Hisotry of Nuns' Habits may at first not seem to be the most riveting of subjects, but she traces the formation of the very distinctive clothing from when many of the orders of nuns were founded, to the present day, when many wear 'ordinary' clothes. As well as focusing on the actual cut and construction of the habits, Kuhns also gives fascinating histories of the orders discussed and relates the overall development of the nuns to the changes in their habits.

I found this fascinating, and I hope you do to.
on 27 December 2007
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, couldn't put it down in fact. Anyone who has been educated by Nuns would be interested. The history of the clothing of all the different orders is fascinating. It was also quite nostalgic seeing my own order there in pictures I could almost hear the swish of the habit along the school corridor. Religious/Religion is having quite a bad press recently, often well deserved I know, but this book only helped to remind me of all the good that has been done by many strong, fearless and faithfull women over many years. Great stuff.
on 1 September 2008
an interesting idea - but much more about the development of specific religious orders for women, than about habits in particular - at times it seems the habits are just mentioned in passing. I bought the softback version & it may be the pictures in the hardback are better - all there is in the softback is two sections of poor quality black & white photos, one in the middle and one at the end of the book. These are not directly referenced in the text & you have to keep flicking back and forward to match them up with the text about specific orders. Having said all that it is a good read, just didn't really match the title
on 30 August 2013
I ordered this as although a Methodist I was educated at an all girls Convent Grammar School in the 1970's and have a great interest of anything to do with Nuns as remember my time at school with fondness. The book is well written and presented and a joy to own. I really would recommend this as an interesting read to everyone.