3.5 out of 5 stars1,638

Good Book
on 13 August 2014
good book
on 23 July 2012
i think it is appalling that such a badly written book has been so hyped when there are gazillions of really well written books out there. i will not read anything else he writes.
on 10 August 2005
Captivating read from start to finish
on 5 November 2003
This is a comment more on the customer reviews than on the book. I was pleasantly surprised that most customer commentary agreed with my own - that the book is entertaining but the author's bias is discomfiting, that the story and the fundamental ideas have substantial flaws, and the characters are two-dimensional and clumsy. At one point I felt as if I were reading a comedy.
Probably the hugest flaw is the assertion that the Catholic Church is responsible for the decline of matriarchal society, and that the rise of patriarchal societies is the reason we have war and violence.
One of the more interesting reviews called the book heresy and suggested that serious Christians avoid it. I don't share the urge to censor, but the book is indeed heresy. I would NOT suggest that anyone make a serious religious, theological, or philosophical decision based on THIS book. I would suggest that serious readers should read the Bible - old and new testaments - and come to their own conclusions. Based on the general tenor of the reviews, I am confident that the majority of people who do so would arrive at a reasonable conclusion.