5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too
This is the book that the movie "The Freedom Writers" is based on. These are the diaries of the students put into one book.

Published on 5 May 2007 by TeensReadToo

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really sure what to make of this
This was an intriguing read.
I found some aspects of this quite difficult to read, as its hard to believe that so many kids in the same class could go through such a wide range of horrendous experiences. (Maybe that says more about my middle class upbringing and naivety than about the actu)al story.
I guess the thing to focus on us the positive outlook and...
Published 29 days ago by Veronica

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 5 May 2007
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

There are no names used in the book--each diary entry has a number, so that the students could feel free to write what they wanted without knowing exactly who wrote what. Personally, I think this is a great idea because the diary entries were very open and you could tell the students wrote exactly what they felt.

THE FREEDOM WRITERS DIARY is a truly excellent book, because everything is so real and most of The Freedom Writers had to grow up at an extremely early age. Many had their innocence taken away around the age of ten. The Rodney King riots were going on and the Columbine High School event occurred during the time of the book. These high school students had seen more murder and dead bodies then most people will ever see in their entire lives.

99% of The Freedom Writers have even been shot at. This is an extremely true and eye-opening statistic. Segregation is still an issue in the United States, even though many people don't have to deal with it. This book taught me a lot about tolerance and what happens on the streets of Long Beach, California.

Reviewed by: Taylor Rector

5.0 out of 5 stars Very inspiring read, 1 Oct 2007
I cannot recommend this book highly enough. The youths who took part in the writing project, under the visionary leadership and care of their teachers Erin Gruwell diserve a medal for the way they changed themselves and inspired others. Their heartrending stories have many times brought tears to my eyes. Thumbs up to all of them for overcoming very difficult circumstances and for wanting to make a difference in their lives and the lives of other youths. Keep on going, guys! I think you have already saved many lives with your testimonies. Highly, highly recommend this book for all teachers and educators and anyone interested in the education of our youths, their future and their welfare.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 13 Jan 2010
Ms. D. R. Lewis "DRL" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This book is best read AFTER watching the film, 'The Freedom Writers', with Hilary Swank as Erin Gruwell, to enable the reader to get a full and rounded picture of the characters and events depicted in the book.

But that said, if you don't get to watch the film, don't be put off reading this book!

This book was a rollercoaster of a read, one moment I was crying at the dispair of the lives of some of these kids, the next I was laughing, and sometimes I was laughing AND crying at the same time! But ultimately it is one of THE most heartwarming, uplifting, sweet, funny and inspirational reads I have EVER had.... and I read lots. A MUST READ BOOK!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sad but inspiring accounts, 15 Mar 2007
This review is from: The Freedom Writers Diary: How a Teacher and 150 Teens Used Writing to Change Themselves and the World Around Them (Paperback)
This book contains sad and graphic accounts of the lives of inner city students in the form of over 100 personal diary recollections. The students describe in detail physical and sexual abuse. The accounts contain graphic language and often extreme violence, which makes the book unsuitable for all readers, though the nature of these descriptions is a reflection of each student's life and the dangers they face. This book allows the reader to understand the perspective of students and develop empathy for them rather than passing judgment according to abstract and unrealistic standards. Social workers and teachers would gain a lot from this book but it's appeal isn't limited to them.

Other books that I highly recommend are the novel "Nexus" by Morrison and Singh, which offers a poignant journey of people trying to overcome pain at a spiritual retreat and "The Pursuit of Happyness" by Chris Gardner, which has become a movie starring Will Smith.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 29 Aug 2007
E. Fifield "Random Annie" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
It's not often that I give a book a five star rating. I'm not a book buff, and I don't pride myself on reading classics, but I know when I find a book I love.

The Freedom Writers' Diary is a true account of life in the gangs of Long Beach, California. The students show you a harrowing account of their ever day life via anonymous diary entries. Each has a different story to tell. They'll make you laugh, and perhaps even cry.

I thought it was an excellent read, but I had to remind myself that it's real life, and people are actually going through this. It's a real insight into the kids' lives, and how their upbringing affects their relationships with others.

And let's not forget their teacher, Erin Gruwell that took on a group of 'at risk' teens to show them that they too can make a difference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 5 May 2007
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Reviewed by: Taylor Rector

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 30 Jun 2009
P. Burley (East Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
Awesome is a word that is overused and I try to avoid using it. This film is truly AWESOME. You laugh and cry. I think it is so sad that this amazing teacher is the standard all should strive for rather than it being the exception. Makes me feel ashamed of the standards we accept.
Love the film; an inspiration

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really sure what to make of this, 21 Nov 2014
This was an intriguing read.
I guess the thing to focus on us the positive outlook and desire to change the world, despite all their negative upbringings.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Freedom 'Writers Diary, 20 Jan 2010
Mrs. K. L. Green "karenc4l" (halifax west yorkshire england) - See all my reviews
This book reveals the hearts of those who suffer in ways that some of us can only imagine. It shows us why many young people act in abusive and frightening ways. It helps you to understand what is happening on the inside and shows you what one person can do in the lives of many. It shows that things can change.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reading this book was a very moving experience., 12 Nov 2014
I purchased this book after seeing the dvd, and I must admit I was a bit taken aback reading the stories of these young people. I found reading this book to be a very moving experience, and I salute the courage of these students, and their teacher for having the courage to bring it to the attention of the masses.