5.0 out of 5 stars Best Grisham book I have read in a while
I thoroughly enjoyed the Partner. It has more twists and turns than a very twisty thing! I was kept guessing right until the end as to what was going to be revealed next. Definetely Grisham at his best. Go out and buy it!
Published on 8 Mar 2002 by Dr L J Harwood

This is the most disappointingly irritating John Grisham novel I have read so far. The writing is Grisham's usual - no complaints over style - but the plot is awful.

Published on 8 Aug 2010 by J. R. Johnson-Rollings

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Grisham book I have read in a while, 8 Mar 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic book from a fantastic author, 21 Jun 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Partner (Paperback)
This was the first John Grisham I have ever read and I have to say that it was brilliant from start to finish. I have never read a book that was so difficult to put down. An ingenious plot and superb writing made this an incredible story.

3.0 out of 5 stars The most disappointingly irritating John Grisham novel I have read, 8 Aug 2010
J. R. Johnson-Rollings (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Partner (Paperback)

Patrick is a criminal who faked his own death and stole $90 million from his employer, yet he is the star of the show and we are meant to sympathise, despite learning relatively little about how or why he did it until fairly late on. He's now been caught, and the book tells the story of his attempts to get away with it.

Forget what I said earlier. The style is awful. Almost the entire plot is played out as dialogue. Between Patrick and his lawyer, Patrick and his judge, the FBI and the victims etc. As such there is no action at all beyond the first chapter. Everything is people talking about events in the past.

And finally, the end, while set up to be the traditional Grisham conclusion, suddenly departs from that track at the last second leaving the reader feeling unfulfilled. There's no hint whatsoever that this is what's coming.

So overall this gets three stars from me. It's entertaining from the point of view that you keep reading because you want to know all the details, but infuriating because of the points above.

4.0 out of 5 stars Full of unexpected twists - a must for any Grisham fan, 28 Jan 2001
This review is from: The Partner (Paperback)
I was first introduced into the amazing world of John Grisham after a friend of mine recommended it. The Partner is the fourth in the series that I have read and I found it as good if not better than the last three. I now own most of his books so I'll have no shortage of reading material for the next few weeks. From the opening paragraphs of The Partner I was hooked and couldn't put it down. I found myself hoping that Patrick would somehow manage to get out of jail and ride of into the sunset with his beatiful Brazilian girlfriend. I was thoroughly confused by the last few pages as it contradicted everything I saw throughout the book and came to the conclusion that the ending had been hurried to meet a deadline or Grisham had been toying with more than one outsome. For me, if the last chapter had been left off, or changed, it would have been a five star read. I would advise anyone, whether or not you are already a fan of Grishams books to read this. I guarantee that you'll love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just in the courtroom, 4 Jan 2007
This review is from: The Partner (Paperback)
The same old Grisham. The master of the yarn, but this time a little different. He's not in the courtroom this time - no. There is a lawyer involved, or rather an ex lawyer, but this time he's on the run. He flees from country to country and the people chasing him catch.... well that would be telling wouldn't it. Suffice to say the book is classic Grisham, at his best spinning a yarn without an awful lot going on. It's gripping and the ending well.... that would be telling too.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect legal thriller?, 14 Dec 2006
This review is from: The Partner (Paperback)
Riveted from the back-page blurb to the final line, I read cover to cover in about six hours. The story does not let up for a moment and although Grisham always drops hints and clues as to where it's going you never know how, why, where or the end until you get there. Told in a bare, undescriptive and characteristically no-nonsense style, Patrick Lanigan's 'crime' proves to be anything but and the intricacies and loopholes of the law are dealt with masterfully. This book is excellent, excellent, excellent and all the characters are completely believable. There were a few typographical errors, not that that is particularly important, but I couldn't believe that such a large print-run let them through (this was in the Arrow edition, 1997).

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute thriller, 17 May 2004
This review is from: The Partner (Paperback)
This was the first Grisham book i read and i have now read 3 of his books and i can firmly say that this still is my favouite. And definatly one of his best books. This book has your attention from the off set! The first few chapters are amazing! Grisham is vivid with his description but doesn't dewell on it. There isn't a slow chapter anywhere in the book, something new is always being unvealed to keep you interested. The overall plot of the book is amazing. Some might say the ending was weak i thought it was good, as long as you don't try to sit down and figure it out. If you just sit back and read the book you will be amazed by what happens and you will have the book finished in no time. A truely great book

5.0 out of 5 stars Portrait of a Flawed Legal Genius, 11 May 2008
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Partner (Paperback)
A great lawyer is meticulous, calculating, aggressive, relentless, and prepared for anything. John Grisham lovingly shares an intricate plot to provide you with an unforgettable portrait of those qualities in action. In the process, you'll also see a man whose soul is offended by his profession.

Ultimately, this book is about a dream . . . a dream that may be more dangerous than an addictive drug. What will you do to capture your dream? That's what you'll be asking yourself after you read The Partner.

The beginning of the book seems like an international espionage thriller. A group of private detectives track down a fugitive to a little town in Brazil near the border with Paraguay. They pounce, and the fugitive is in for his worst nightmare . . . remorseless torture aimed at getting him to tell something he doesn't know.

Soon, an unlikely intervention creates a whole new vector for the story. The fugitive has to face the music from a lot of angry lawyers . . . including his former partners.

Like many legal thrillers, you'll be getting no more information than you need to know to follow the action. Pay attention to the questions that occur to you: Thinking about what might have happened is half the fun of this book.

If you aren't interested in the ins and outs of how lawyers think about criminal issues, you won't like this book as much as I did. I was impressed at how well the legal issues were displayed without being too technical. Remember that lawyers usually spend a lot of time thinking through how the opposing attorney will respond to various probes.

Watch out for the unexpected!

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great Grisham book., 24 Jan 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Partner (Paperback)
This is only my second John Grisham books (after The Runaway Jury) and I thought it was a great read. As the reader you find yourself constantly trying to find how Patrick will overcome the next series of problems yet none of the solutions come as a surprise. A great twist at the end leaves an alternative finish from them 'setting off into the sunset'. Some of the motivations of the characters especially towards the end still leaves me slightly puzzled. My conclusion however is that this is a great book and I will soon be starting another Grisham novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good plot, scabby people, a sting in the tail, 6 April 2002
dwill95@btinternet.com (A Brit in Bishkek Kyrgyzstan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Partner (Paperback)
You don't need me to tell you that John Grisham has a talent for writing novels with the law at their heart: he has!
The partner is another of his books that features Brazil. The Testament took us to the Pantanal ... The Partner takes us to the beach at Ipanema. It takes us to more ordinary settings, too; and it takes us to Paraguay, the Caribbean and the USA.
The basic plot is that despite having died a horrible death in a car crash, Patrick S Lanigan somehow managed to embezzle $90 million and get away with it...
The story takes on a life of its own once Lanigan is in jail. There is a marvellous twist at the end of the book that I have to say I didn't see coming; but I did see all of the other parts of the plot lurking on the horizon well before they arrived. Not a difficult plot to unravel but it bounces along very well...
Grisham's lawyers are dreadful people and yet again they get their come uppance...
Nevertheless, as the story unfolded, I felt that Grisham was painting a picture of Lanigan's potential for outwitting the legal profession that wasn't right: I didn't want Lanigan to get off completely. Even though many of the characters in the story are obnoxious, we can't justify Lanigan's theft and following actions. He left a trail of misery, he caused peoples' lives to turn upside down; and I would say Lanigan did this in a cowardly and despicable manner...

The Partner
The Partner by Grisham (Hardcover - April 1997)
Used & New from: £0.01