5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best
Once an author is turning out a novel a year in a growing series he can be forgiven for getting rather stale. That isn't really a problem with Terry Pratchett: his output can be a bit uneven but overall the Discworld fantasies just seem to be getting better, and "The Fifth Elephant" is one of the best.
The wonderful Sam Vimes - clever, upwardly mobile but basically...
Published on 11 Jan 2008 by Iain S. Palin

3.0 out of 5 stars Plummetting Pachiderms
As we all know the Discworld is carried on the backs of four elephants that in turn stand upon the carapace of the giant galactic star turtle, the Great A'tuin. However, some time in the past there was another elephant. One that, for some reason still to be determined, plummetted to the surface of the discworld and whose fat deposits have become a lucrative dwarf mine...
Published on 24 Jan 2012 by Zanna T. Laws

‹ Previous | 113 14 15 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Terry at his best?, 6 Dec 1999
Mr. A. J. D. White - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Fifth Elephant (Discworld Novels) (Hardcover)
I loved this book, I had had a nasty week at work came home (getting the book on the way) and next thing I knew it was Saturday lunch time and I was hungry with a finished book in my hand....
A real page turner, nasty and funny always sharp enough to cut its Terry at his best....

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark as 'Carpe Juglum', as gripping as 'Guards! Guards!', 20 Oct 2000
This review is from: The Fifth Elephant (Discworld Novels) (Hardcover)
When 'The Fifth Elephant' was first published, I was under the impression that I had to read 'Jingo' first. Although this is not entirely necessary, I didn't mind reading even more of the Watch, particularly with Vimes and Angua. After the frankly shocking 'Carpe Jugulum', with it's seemingly never ending list of dark characters and implications, I was looking forward to reading Pratchett's portrayal of Werewolves in this novel. It was interesting to find out more, both about the darker side of Angua's life, and the pretty confusing laws of the dwarfs. I also liked the use of the different characters, as in Jingo, Pratchett doesn't, here stick just to one subject. I found the switching from Vimes' circumstances and that of Colon and the rest of the Watch in Ank-Morpork, sort of refreshing. The thought of Wolfgang, and the other Werewolves, being unstoppable, built up the tension, thankfully, towards the end of the book, close to what I see as the main event of Vimes being hunted down. This tension was created, and sustained in a number of ways. The first was the idea that the enemy, the werewolves as was finally discovered, could not be beaten by the person who appears to the best for the job, i.e Inigo Skimmer (Have I remembered that name right?), as he was killed quite simply. Secondly, the person who is able to actually fight the wolves with any hope of victory is another werewolf, Angua. Yet again as in any Watch novel, I was surprised by the way the crime was solved, and what the crimes actually were. As usual, Pratchett has the impressive ability of making his main character here, Sam Vimes, find several out of place facts, inconsistencies and obvious impossibilities, and somehow weaves them in to something ludicrously plausible, and, it seems, undoubtedly true.

5.0 out of 5 stars Werewolves, Dwarfs, and the Watch again., 10 Sep 2000
This review is from: The Fifth Elephant (Discworld Novels) (Hardcover)
When 'The Fifth Elephant' was first published, I was under the impression that I had to read 'Jingo' first. Although this is not entirely necessary, I didn't mind reading even more of the Watch, particularly with Vimes and Angua. After the frankly shocking 'Carpe Jugulum', with it's seemingly never ending list of dark characters and implications, I was looking forward to reading Pratchett's portrayal of Werewolves in this novel. It was interesting to find out more, both about the darker side of Angua's life, and the pretty confusing laws of the dwarfs. I also liked the use of the different characters, as in Jingo, Pratchett doesn't, here stick just to one subject. I found the switching from Vimes' circumstances and that of Colon and the rest of the Watch in Ank-Morpork, sort of refreshing. The thought of Wolfgang, and the other Werewolves, being unstoppable, built up the tension, thankfully, towards the end of the book, close to what I see as the main event of Vimes being hunted down. This tension was created, and sustained in a number of ways. The first was the idea that the enemy, the werewolves as was finally discovered, could not be beaten by the person who appears to the best for the job, i.e Inigo Skimmer (Have I remembered that name right?), as he was killed quite simply. Secondly, the person who is able to actually fight the wolves with any hope of victory is another werewolf, Angua. Yet again as in any Watch novel, I was surprised by the way the crime was solved, and what the crimes actually were. As usual, Pratchett has the impressive ability of making his main character here, Sam Vimes, find several out of place facts, inconsistencies and obvious impossibilities, and somehow weaves them in to something ludicrously plausible, and it seems, undoubtedly true.

5.0 out of 5 stars dont forget, 16 Aug 2006
Just finished reading it for the umpteenth time. Still funny. Angua & Carrot modern Romeo & Juliet? Long may the disk spin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another book, but not what I hoped., 27 Nov 1999
This review is from: The Fifth Elephant (Discworld Novels) (Hardcover)
Terry Pratchett's books are a lot less serious than they used to be. Perhaps its just me but I always saw a darker side to his writing beneath the comedy. The Fifth Elephant, like his previous four books ( we'll ignore The Hogfather shall we ) have increasingly been more light hearted, but at the expense of character development. "Character development?" I hear you say - before you criticise what I'm saying think about it - would the Sam Vimes of Guards, Guards be able to survive running through frozen woods, soaking wet from swimming in frozen waters all night? Has Carrot really got that clever? Has the Patrician got that soft? ( I think he would have made sure Colon got a visit from the Assasin's Guild, personally). I know Terry is writing to a large audience now but I think it would be nice if he wrote a darker novel next time, if only because he is good at the subtle undertones needed. ( I found Moving Pictures quite disturbing at times ). Anyway, I did enjoy reading The Fifth Elephant and would recommend buying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Sep 2014
Another great read

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 19 Sep 2014
more good writing.

4.0 out of 5 stars the boys are back. And looking for fat, lots of fat., 29 Mar 2001
this is it Sam vimes takes a holiday, taking detritus and cherie (or cheery) littlebottom with him, and detritus' seige bow just got bigger and better with the addition of a sheaf of arrows! all hell breaks loose with vampires trying to be like your nan, dwarves fighting dwarves over a rock cake, and werewolves lying around being bloody minded, terrific stuff and in the words of vimes stuff the bloody marquis of fantillier! terry gets the gloves off again, havent laughed this much since pyramids!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars How Refreshing!, 9 Dec 2001
By A Customer
As a new reader of Pratchet's books having only read two others before this one I must admit it makes for a good read. The charactors ooze complexity in a way that is easy to understand, the plot flows smoothly without ever being too easy to judge and the whole book has a real Novel feel about it. Some of it is action packed and surprised me, I hadn't realised that Terry could write quite like this.
A quality read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fifth Elephant is simply excellent, 31 Jan 2000
John Whelan (Ottawa, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Fifth Elephant (Discworld Novels) (Hardcover)
A few years ago I was shopping with a friend in London when she asked me if I had heard about or read any Terry Pratchett. On hearing I hadn't she brought me about six of his books including Colour of Magic his first Discworld book and Truckers. Terry Pratchett is now Britain's best-selling living novelist. Discworld is a world of Wizards, Vampires, Trolls, Dwarfs, and many other creatures. The Fifth Elephant is the twenty-fourth novel in his Discworld series, and in this book Sam Vimes, chief watchman, is persuaded by Lord Vetinari, the Patrician, to go to Bonk in Uberwald as Ambassador to attend the coronation of the low king. Angua, the watch's werewolf, also goes home to see her family who live in Bonk. Many people enjoy his humorous writings, they have a very wide appeal. His books are well worth read rereading, there will be things you simply don't catch the first time through. Do not assume if you live Terry Pratchett that you will like the other books I have reviewed. You may assume that you will enjoy Terry Pratchett if you have arrived here from another book review.

‹ Previous | 113 14 15 | Next ›

The Fifth Elephant (Discworld Novels)
The Fifth Elephant (Discworld Novels) by Sir Terry Pratchett (Hardcover - 4 Nov 1999)
Used & New from: £0.01