5.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Seuss provides his own special type of ABC book
Published on 26 April 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Dr Seuss's ABC
I thought the book was okay. My daughter is 20 months and learning the alphabet in nursery. I thought this book would be a good aid after reading the 5 star reviews; but to date she just doesn't seem interested in it. More modern, colorful books seem to have a better impact.
Published on 4 Jan 2011 by Sparko

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Seuss provides his own special type of ABC book, 26 April 2004
By A Customer
In 1954 "Life" magazine published a report about the problem of illiteracyamong the nation's school children and placed part of the blame on thefact that books that were supposed to teach children to read were boring("See Spot Run. Run Spot run. Fetch the ball, Spot"). Theodore Geisel'spublisher sent him a list of 400 words that the author was to cut to 250words, the number the publisher felt a first grader could absorb, andwrite a book. "The Cat in the Hat" uses only 220 words and made Dr. Seussan instant success with beginning readers. Eventually he would go on towrite almost four dozen books for children to read all by themselves.
Of course sooner or later Dr. Seuss was going to put out his own alphabetbook for beginning readers and in 1963 this book was published. It is, asyou would expect, more than a look at the twenty-six letters of thealphabet. Other books will tell you that "A is for Apple" and "Z is forZebra," but not Dr. Seuss because this book stars with "Aunt Annie'salligator" and ends with a "Zizzer-Zazzer-Zuzz." Young readers will alsoenjoy the mix of rhyme and absurdity so much that they might not noticeDr. Seuss is also showing them the difference between the big and littleversions of each letter.
As I was reading over "Dr. Seuss's ABC," a book that most definitely wantsto be read aloud to be fully enjoyed, I was wondering if I should tempermy enthusiasm by saying that this is not an ideal choice for a beginningreader's first alphabet book. After all, something simpler, in thetraditional "A is for Apple" mode might be more appropriate. But I thinkthere is something to be said for even beginning readers being confrontedwith the level of sophistication found in this book. After all, itpromotes fun as much as reading and young children might never notice thedegree to which they are being challenged.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for Kids and Adults alike, 7 Sep 2003
Mark Baker (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Dr. Seuss takes his wild imagination and fun and turns it into one of the better alphabet books for kids. Every letter includes several appropriate items. They can range from the ordinary, left leg for "L", to the humorous. My family can still tell you exactly what begins with "Q", and we haven't reread this book in at least 15 years.
Parents tired of the standard "A" is for apple, "B" if for ball book will find a breath of fresh air here, too. They'll be laughing at some of the sentences and enjoying the meter used throughout.
This book bills itself as an "I Can Read" book. I hesitate slightly only because Dr. Seuss does throw a few of his trademark unusual characters into the mix. A parent will need to be close by to help their child sound out the harder words.
Dr. Seuss was a master at making picture books fun for all ages. This is a classic example parents will enjoy reading time and time again, even if their kids ask for it every night.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic way to teach the alphabet!, 9 July 2003
By A Customer
My 2 year old daughter adores this book!
She insists that we read it before we go to bed each night.
The way Dr Seuss writes is is highly amusing & that makes it easy for children to learn from them.
I think it was only after 2 or 3 readings that she had learnt her alphabet!
What makes it fun for her is the way that instead of writing 'T is for Tree' Dr Seuss writes 'Big T little T what begins with T? Ten tired turtles on a Tuttle Tuttle Tree!'
Buy it your children will love you for making learning fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars It can be sung!, 25 Nov 2005
I read this book to my kids at bedtime at least two or three times a week. It is brilliant. After having read it about 200 times I have only just realised that every page can be sung to the same tune that you sing the ABC song to. You know the song ABCDEFG.etc..Now I know my ABC, next time won't you sing with me"? It works on every page of the book. Try it, it brings a whole new dimension to bedtime "Big B, Little B, what begins with B? Barber, Baby, bubbles and a bumblebee".

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly brilliant!, 17 July 2012
ellee (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
We were given this book as a gift. I'm afraid it sat on the shelf for a while as I wasn't that impressed when I glanced through it.

The illustrations seemed a little flat.

It references nothing real - a zizzer zazzer zuzz not yet having been found in the animal kingdom!

Also, my 3 yo son has expressive language delay and I thought it might confuse him.

Anyway, QUITE the contrary. He is far more engaged by this alphabet book than any other.

It is very cleverly designed so that in reading it aloud you linger over each letter far longer than you do in a traditional "a is for apple" type book. The little rhymes explore the soundings of the letter under discussion. It has helped my son in his letter identification and sound identification.

It is interactive and repetitive so that you can go "big B, little b, what begins with ?" and let the child fill in the blank, I tell you my son is delighted with himself when he repeats the right letter.

Not to mention what fun it is to read aloud. As another reviewer said, only then do you really appreciate it.

A definite buy for every household.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dr Seuss's ABC, 4 Jan 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It!, 23 Oct 2008
J. Moseley - See all my reviews
We've got a now 6 month old and he loves this book - it's perfect, with rhyming, learning the alphabet, and bright pictures. Happily, we love it too so are happy to read it. Brilliant book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have For Babies!, 29 Aug 2006
My 6 month old loves this book. I think its the rhythm that keeps him so amused.

This book teaches the abc in a fun rhyming way that keeps both parent and baby interested to the end. (Better than the boring 'A is for Apple' stuff)

Also, the simple but bright pictures are perfect for young ones.

Its a shame it was written for the American audience because the end doesn't rhyme (We pronounce Z as 'Zed' not 'Zee') however, don't let this put you off its still brilliant!!!!

A must have for babies and young Dr Seuss fans!

4.0 out of 5 stars ABC, 17 April 2014
Dr. Seuss's ABC: Blue Back Book (Dr Seuss - Blue Back Book) (Dr. Seuss Blue...

Great read. Funny and easy for children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Childlike genius, 2 Jan 2014
Does it get any better than dr Suess' books?
No need to say anything that hasn't previously been said better than I can.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xab49b744)

Dr. Seuss's ABC: An Amazing Alphabet Book! (Big Bright & Early Board Book)
4.16