5.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected delight
This is a truly delightful book. I worried before it arrived that an amusing and whimsical title might have persuaded me to request something which would turn out not to be very good, but I was wholly wrong. I enjoyed it immensely; it is witty, erudite without being smug, interesting, laugh-out-loud funny in places and very moving in others.

The novel is set...
Published on 23 Jun 2008 by Sid Nuncius

3.0 out of 5 stars Love it or Hate it
I wasn't going to bother reviewing this book because there are so many reviews already. I won't re-hash the plot, but here is the lowdown if you are confused by the polarised opinions.

The characters are very well defined despite some complaints about several of them having a similar `voice' in their letters. They are well-defined to the point of caricature...
Published on 15 Feb 2011 by Tamara L

3.0 out of 5 stars The Guernsey Literary and Potatoe Peel Pie Society, 11 Oct 2009
Caitriona Coughlan "Catnnec" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This is a nice read and is written in letter form. Sadly all the letters sound like they are written from the same person with the same type of humour. There are two parts to the book and all the characters are introduced in the first part. It takes some time to get to grips with them all and unfortunately they are not developed very well. The good thing is all the history about the second world war and you really get a sense of what it might have been like on the channel islands during that time. This book was enjoyable but probably not something I'd recommend to a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 25 Sep 2009
Amazon Customer (Palma de Mallorca) - See all my reviews
I was a little worried about this book as I usually read big fat sagas. This book was fab, and I was very sad when it ended. My husband is reading it now, as everybody need a nice, sweet, charming slice of life. Buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer delight!, 8 Sep 2009
I enjoyed this book from the very first page. I received a copy from my mother who had raved about it and she wasn't wrong. I've recommended or bought copies for half a dozen friends all of whom have absolutely loved it. I can't wait to read it again....

4.0 out of 5 stars GUERNSEY IN THE WAR, 17 July 2009
Mrs. Vivienne F. Brenner (Lugano, Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This book was recommended to me by a Swiss friend who had read it in Italian and had found it most enjoyable. It appealed to me because I had spent holidays on Alderney when I was young. The book gives an easy insight to the life of the Guernsey islanders during the German occupation - something that we perhaps never heard much about. The horror of seeing your children leave ... and return 5 years later all grown and changed, the randomness of killing. All in all a very good read so long as you don't mind an epistolary novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read Book, 17 July 2009
A really different book,the characters come to life slowly but surely.It restores your faith in people once again. Great for book clubs I guarantee everyone will read this one all the way through

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Brilliant!, 26 April 2009
Juliet Aston is the central character, she is an author and it is now 1946 and she is stuck for something to write. She receives a letter from Dawsey Adams of Guernsey who came across an old book of hers and decided to write to her to see if she would be able to aid him in acquiring some new books on Charles Lamb, who he greatly admires. They begin corresponding about their love of books and Juliet comes to learn that Dawsey is a member of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and she, like most people would be, is intrigued. Dawsey explains how it all started with an illegal roast pork dinner and now the society has many members who get together and discuss what they have read. Juliet begins corresponding with other members of the society and friendships are quickly formed. Inevitably she travels to Guernsey to meet her new friends, I don't wish to give to much away as there may be the odd person like me out there who still hasn't got round to reading this.
The book is written solely as a series of letter between all of the characters but they form the story beautifully; I read this book in just over a day as I could not put it down. The story really is about friendship and the lengths and sacrifices we are willing to make for those that we care about. I loved the characters in the book and felt like they were old friends by the end of it. I would highly recommend this book and I know that it will always be on my book shelf to be enjoyed again in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lovely Read, 16 April 2009
The title is quirky, perhaps slightly off-puting, but I admit to reading the entire book almost in one sitting!

If you are a person who finds reading letters an enjoyable medium, rather than a book in chapters, this will 'grab' you as it did me.

After an easy start, mainly an exchange of letters between an author struggling to find a topic for her second best seller and her publisher, there is one letter from Guernsey - and it is this letter which really develops the story.

I admit ignorance of the extent of the sufferings endured by Channel Islanders during the World War II occupation. Growing up near Weymouth, I heard a few stories of what had happened out on the Islands, but this is the first time I've read anything in depth.

My favourite character has to be Isola, who reminds me of Leitia Cropley in "The Vicar of Dibley", quirky but prescient, you never know what she's going to say next!

In my opinion, this book is beautifully written. I experienced a range of emotions and couldn't wait for the end - and then wished there were more!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Pie Society, 23 Mar 2009
A. Talbot "fair copy" (Folkestone U.K.) - See all my reviews
I loved this book and recommended it to everyone. My mother lived in Jersey so I knew something of the occupation and the suffering there so was very keen to read this book. I loved the idea of the letter writing and found that they portrayed the islanders personalities so clearly. I wanted the book to go on and on and felt sorry when I reached the last page.

4.0 out of 5 stars poignant and delightful, 11 Mar 2009
Elizabeth Holleis (France) - See all my reviews
I was given this book by a friend from HAWAII! Having lived in Guernsey for many years, I was well acquainted with many real-life stories from Islander friends so was a little sceptical at first.
However the story developed intriguingly gradually bringing in many of the facts of the Occupation without over dramatising or romanticising.I knew women who had watched their five-year-olds sail off to England,non-Guernsey women sent to internment camps, and many tales of quiet heroism so the facts ring true.(apart from the teabags sent on the Red Cross ship)
Both my husband and I found the story poignant and moving, bringing the suffering of the Islanders to life in a very intimate but satisfying way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 8 Mar 2009
Binka - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The first 50 or so pages of this book were a bit slow going. I didn't really care what was happening and I found the style of different, short letters quite disjointed. It didn't seem to flow to make it an easy read. As the book progressed though I think 2 things happened. Firstly the letters became longer so the book flowed better and secondly the characters developed to such an extent that you did care what was happening to them. Overall I really enjoyed this book.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (Random House Reader's Circle)
Used & New from: 0.01