5.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected delight
This is a truly delightful book. I worried before it arrived that an amusing and whimsical title might have persuaded me to request something which would turn out not to be very good, but I was wholly wrong. I enjoyed it immensely; it is witty, erudite without being smug, interesting, laugh-out-loud funny in places and very moving in others.

The novel is set...
Published on 23 Jun. 2008 by Sid Nuncius

3.0 out of 5 stars Love it or Hate it
I wasn't going to bother reviewing this book because there are so many reviews already. I won't re-hash the plot, but here is the lowdown if you are confused by the polarised opinions.

The characters are very well defined despite some complaints about several of them having a similar `voice' in their letters. They are well-defined to the point of caricature...
Published on 15 Feb. 2011 by Tamara L

‹ Previous | 172 73 7490 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 25 Jan. 2015
Brilliant! Incredibly lively, witty, realistic and captivating!

1.0 out of 5 stars The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, 29 Nov. 2009
I find it very depressing that so many grown ups rave about this book. It is really a children's book, a bit like the Horrible Histories - perhaps for ladies - in the mould of Ladies and Home. The characters are phoney, the situations silly. The tall handsome hero, although a German, his golden hair singles him out as different and his lover Elizabeth, so perfect except she fraternized with the Germans...

It's fair enough for someone to write the book but it's truly a bad piece of literature.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 21 Sept. 2008
Hailing from the Channel Islands myself, I was very excited when I spotted this book on my way through Gatwick recently and snapped it up. I wasn't disappointed. Made up of a series of letters between the main character and a group of islanders on Guernsey, it tells of the hardships and struggles endured during Guernsey's occupation by the Germans during WWII. Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 Oct. 2014
Great read meant a lot to me as I was an evacuee well written

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent quality, very good service, 10 Jan. 2015
second hand,excellent quality,very good service.thank you.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not My Thing, 9 Jan. 2009
M. G. Chisholm "chiefengineer3" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Written as a series of letters I just found that I couldn't get into this at all and abandoned it half way through. Not for those who like flowing proseor perhaps a book you can sit down and get you teeth into. It might appeal to fans of Adrian Mole with it's similar way of being constructed. Not for a middle aged geezer though.

5.0 out of 5 stars I want to be a member, 21 April 2010
An amazing, quirky, thoughtful, touching, heartfelt, emotional, quick-witted page turner.
You will feel compelled to tell others about this. Read it and pass it on. It is your duty.
I wish there were more pages, a second book. Anything to keep me with the Guernsey clan. If only she had written more. If only. If only. Read it. You'll love it.

3.0 out of 5 stars A charming inoffensive tail, 20 July 2008
Clever Spud (Birmingham) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I read this pretty much in one sitting but this was more to do with my own circumstances than with any compulsion to finish it. The writing can be witty and subtle, especially at the start as the stronger characters introduce themselves with their opening letters but overall it just didn't work for me.

The story is essentially a series of letter mainly from or to Juliet, an up-and-coming author. Through a chance encounter with a second-hand book she is introduced to the eponymous Guernsey society and with a series of letters becomes embroiled in unraveling their story.

Firstly there's the story about what happened during the German occupation of Guernsey during the second World War but because this is being recounted third hand the effect is much the same as having your mum describe the plot of Sophie's Choice to you. You get most of the details but you're a step removed and unable to engage emotionally with the characters involved. It's all suitably harrowing but in a safe kind of way. Perhaps that's the point.

Then there's the story that's happening "now". Now being 1946, a year after the war has ended with the main correspondence being between Juliet and her friends and publisher. This is the romantic subplot and it's so insubstantial and wrapped up so neatly as to be beyond cliche.

Here's the flaw for me. Character A writes a letter to Juliet, revealing as much about his character as anyone is likely to in a letter. Juliet then writes to Friend B about Character A, extrapolating upon his character based on her opinions. When she finally meets Character A she goes on writing to Friend B without revealing much more about them than she's already concluded from her initial correspondence. I never felt I got to know the real people on Guernsey apart from Isola.

Now Isola is the most-rounded of the Guernsey characters. She's a goat-owning, parrot-owning, medicine woman that brews "love" potions. Her letters are probably the most amusing and I detected a whole other romantic sub-plot that disappointingly never went anywhere so it was probably all in her head, or was just neglected when the book was wrapped up. I liked Isola and just wish I could have gotten the same feel for the other main characters.

I didn't particularly dislike this book and to be fair I would happily recommend it to someone who just wants an unchallenging feel-good book to read while on holiday. I couldn't disagree with the majority of the higher ratings given to it by other reviewers but for me it was just a bad fit. The correspondence "gimmick" felt awkward and clumsy. One of those good ideas that basically breaks down by the end of the book when the letters turn into extended blocks of exposition just to progress the plot.

If you're looking for something with a bit more action or with more fully drawn characters or a more complicated plot then look elsewhere but if you want to while away a couple of hours and have everything turn out for the best then give it a shot. I will say this, the book does paint a picture of life under German occupation but it's a hazy watercolour and it hasn't been finished.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful read! I just didn't want the story to ..., 13 Mar. 2015
A wonderful read!
I just didn't want the story to end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 29 Oct. 2014
I could not put this down and I never wanted it to end

‹ Previous | 172 73 7490 | Next ›

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (Random House Reader's Circle)
Used & New from: £0.01