5.0 out of 5 stars A cut above the rest!
Published on 1 Oct 2011 by Raf

1.0 out of 5 stars Outmoded!
If you want to write run-of-the-mill, same-old same-old screenplays then read Syd Field. Everything is over-explained - I threw it in the charity shop pile and got on with my script, liberated...
Published 15 months ago by Zaggog

4.0 out of 5 stars Some Pretty Useful Tips, 29 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Screenwriter's Workbook: Exercises and Step-by-step Instructions for Creating a Successful Screenplay (Paperback)
I bought this book to use in conjunction with a course I am taking at the moment, and I found the advice pretty useful in parts.

5.0 out of 5 stars A cut above the rest!, 1 Oct 2011
If you want to start to write screenplays then this book is essential reading. There are indeed other books and computer programmes on structure and characterisation and all the intricacies of the craft. Some are of mind-bending complexity, but none with the touch of Syd Field. At every stage he is there to help. From the lowest depths he is there to lift you up, whether from the terrors of an empty page or a little voice inside your head that is saying "this is rubbish". He is also there by your side when your ideas are flowing and everything seems good with advice on structure, coherence and polish. Yes, I give this book a big thumbs up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Most excellent, 17 July 2011
Herman Muttongleuber "Book Wizard" (Blyth, Northumberland, England) - See all my reviews
Excellent. Clears away the fog surrounding screenplays. If you can't write a screenplay after this - give up. But, you will, it really sets the formulaic process out simply and cleanly, in a form you will understand. Of course, after that you only need a good story, but that is in the mind of the writer. I whole heartedly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, concise, 1 April 2014
A great example in itself of how to write clearly and concisely when you are trying to guide and teach.

4.0 out of 5 stars More from Syd Field, 4 July 2013
Please have a look at my other review on Syd Field. I am only into chapter three of this and corroborate what I said in other review. much of the info is repeated here but with slightly different emphasis and this is also written later I believe. A good book to have in your library of 'how to write'.

5.0 out of 5 stars this is all u need, 19 July 2012
T. M. Artingstoll "Son of Faro" (London,England) - See all my reviews
knows his stuff inside out and backwards.easy to read,to follow and to understand.And get this,he's a yank from the home of bafflegab

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for film writers!, 18 April 2013
When I was writing my first stage play Other People's Lives I hadn't yet discovered this book (I'm ashamed to say I'd never heard of Syd Field before that) and I struggled with the structure of the play. Eventually I completed the play and it went into production and was very well received. For my second play, 'Dancehall Sweethearts' I used Field's book from the beginning and it helped me create the outline framework of the play very quickly indeed. Specifically I used his paradigm and this was an effective tool to decide what scenes would work best within each Act and what additional scenes might be needed. Clearly there are significant differences between screen and stage writing but this book provides a creative platform for both. I've now also written a screenplay using it and for that of course it was invaluable. I would also say if anyone is suffering from the dreaded writer's block, relying on the structural approach of the book is a liberating experience which loosens the creative bonds. I recommend it highly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Outmoded!, 10 April 2013