4.0 out of 5 stars Gabaldon's best book
Published on 26 April 2005 by jdunato3

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I was really looking forward to this book coming out, because I love Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" series, and the idea of a spin-off really appealed to me. I always rather liked Lord John and was keen to find out more about him.
Published on 2 May 2004 by Nadine Goodinson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Gabaldon's best book, 26 April 2005
Although the plot of this short mystery could be better, I find it far more entertaining than Gabaldon's Outlander books, where all the focus seems to be on the unchanging, implausably firm (yet tempestuous) relationship of Jamie and Claire. Lord John is such a refreshment when he appears in the series and he certainly deserves more space. I have rarely encountered a character so interesting, intelligent and well-written.
Besides that, despite the somewhat disappointing ending, this novel is a page-turner and Gabaldon's reconstruction of the 18th century London, especially its more obscure parts, is quite amazing.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 9 Jun 2005
By A Customer
I had put off reading this one after liking the Cross Stitch series so much because I couldn't imagine life without Jamie & Claire. However, I eventually succumbed and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Set against a fascinating backdrop of seedy 18th century London, Lord John's character is expanded up well. And the opening page is a gem!

5.0 out of 5 stars Back with perhaps her best book so far....., 9 Oct 2003
I just finished reading Lord John & the Private Matter and I would have to recommend everyone reading this review to beg, borrow or steal a copy NOW! While I felt that her previously published novel "The Fiery Cross" wasn't as good as the other books in the Outlander series, Lord John has in bundles what The Fiery Cross lacked - concise, interesting storyline and evolving characters.
Lord John & the Private Matter tells of Lord John Grey's exploits in London in 1757, shortly after leaving Jamie at Helwater (as told in Voyager). Lord John becomes involved in the investigation the murder of Sgt O'Connell, a soldier from his regiment who is suspected of treason (namely selling military information to the enemy) & wife-beating. At the same time, he is suspicious of the Hon Joseph Trevelyan, the fiance of his cousin Olivia, who appears to have syphillis. However, as Lord John gets further embroiled in his investigations (visiting varoius brothels along the way!), he discovers the two may actually be linked....but how?
Lord John Grey & the Private Matter is the best book I've read in quite some time - it is a real page-turner, with plenty of twist & turns and the characters & places are intriguing & well-developed. The story is by turns amusing and tragic with a bit of sauciness thrown in between. I would recommend this book with no hesitations whatso ever. Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Methadon list, 17 Nov 2004
Compared to the other Outlander books a light-weight mystery.Quite enjoyable, if you judge it on its own merits and don't compare it with Jamie-and Claire books.Then you'll get disappointed. You get to know Lord John and his background better, and it helps to distract during the long wait for another Outlander novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gabaldon a hit again, 26 Oct 2003
By A Customer
I had thought that Diana Gabaldon was slipping of late and resting on her laurels. This book however shows why she is one of the best writers around today. Lord John and the Private Matter is a great story. It is a mystery story which stands alone. Of more interest though is the character of Lord John himself and also the treatment by society of people at that time of, shall we say a different bent.
I would love to see Diana write more books about Lord John and develop his character further and also allow him to have a happy ending.
A complete change from the normal romance novel and without giving a way the story details I would say that anyone who likes either slash or Lolah Burford novels will enjoy it immensly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gabaldon refreshed, 6 Aug 2008
Roman Clodia (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Like some of the other reviewers here I think Gabaldon has written herself into an impasse with the Jamie and Clair series, and have found the last couple of books turgid, repetitive and increasingly dull. However with the Lord John series, of which this is the first, Gabaldon's imagination seems to have been revved up and released again.

Taking Lord John out of the J&C series, this finds him in London after he's left Jamie a `prisoner' in Scotland. A major in the British army, Lord John is drawn into the murder of a fellow soldier, complicated by the sub-plot of his cousin's marriage to a man Lord John knows has syphilis, and his own secret homoeroticism.

The mystery element romps along a tad slowly but Gabaldon's strengths are in the evocation of her characters. Lord John is intelligent and quietly charismatic, with depths that enticingly remain half-hidden. Later books (LJ and the hand of devils; LJ and the brotherhood of the blade) both fill out his back-story as well as take him forward. Well worth a read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 2 May 2004
Sadly, it was nowhere near as good as I hoped. The plot was not particularly intriguing, and I didn't find out much about Lord John that I didn't already know.
On the plus side, the historical background was interesting, and I certainly learned a lot about the secret lives of the aristocracy in 18th Century London.
On the whole, I thought it was readable but it didn't do the otherwise excellent author justice. It could have been written by a moderately talented fan-fiction writer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lord John & the Private Matter, 1 Dec 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Lord John and the Private Matter (Lord John Grey Novels) (Paperback)
Having never read any Diana Gabaldon books before I came to this with no preconceptions although an understanding of its historical setting (I spotted it whilst looking for another book!). It was very easy to read and I finished within a couple of days.
I loved it - the interweaving of the incidents with Lord John's personal life was very well done including the horror of his valet about goings on in and around the Molly Houses (in fact it was rather funny).
I'll certainly be on the look out for her other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 July 2014
great writing and very amusing. looking forward to another Lord John, naughty man

5.0 out of 5 stars I wasn't disappointed in my 2nd (or is it 3rd) read of ..., 4 July 2014
I had already read this in book form and decided to revisit 'Lord John Gray' after reading Diana Gabaldon's latest in the Outlander series (Written in My Own Heart's Blood) - this time on my Kindle. I wasn't disappointed in my 2nd (or is it 3rd) read of Lord John and The Private Matter. I strongly recommend that anyone who has enjoyed reading the Oulander series of books also reads this and other Lord John novels. The give so much insight to Lord John and background on other characters who appear in the main series of books.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Lord John and the Private Matter (Lord John Grey Novels)
Lord John and the Private Matter (Lord John Grey Novels) by Diana Gabaldon (Paperback - 26 Oct 2004)
Used & New from: £0.01