4.0 out of 5 stars Want to find your passion in life? This if the book for you!
Published on 20 Jun. 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I'd hoped for.
Published on 24 Sept. 2003 by B. Dayne

4.0 out of 5 stars Want to find your passion in life? This if the book for you!, 20 Jun. 2001
By A Customer
This book is an excellent tool for anyone that hasn't figured out what they would like to do with their life. Using simple exercises, the first 3 chapters focus on how you actually go about discovering your passion so that you can have meaning, direction and ultimately happiness and fulfilment in your life and career. The book then looks in depth at the reasons why, so far, your dream life may have been evading you. Be warned, it knocks all of those convenient little excuses that we all use well and truly on the head! I found the book very inspirational. It is wonderfully written and I would recommend it to anyone who, like me, never had a clue what they wanted to be when they grew up and just kept hoping, naively, that eventually the penny would drop! Good luck.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I'd hoped for., 24 Sept. 2003
I bought this book based on the strength of the reviews, and one of Sher's other books, "Live the Life You Love". I only wish I'd stopped there, as this one is undoubtedly the weaker of the two. There is little in "I Could Do Anything..." that she hasn't said elsewhere, and better. There are more concrete ideas for getting what you want from life, and better exercises for helping you figure out just what that elusive something might be, in "Live the Life You Love."
My main criticism of this book is that it is simply not universal enough for a self-help book. In attempting to illustrate the different types of "voices" that some people hear when they are thinking of changing their lives, Sher divides her readers into sub-catagories. If your inner voice says, "abc", then you are a type who can't focus. Read chapter 6. If your inner voice says "xyz", then you have fear of success. Read chapter 5.
My problem with this type of format is that I wound up feeling alienated from a great many of the chapters, since there was little percieved value in reading those that didn't specifically pertain to me. Since I have no problem focusing, and am not afraid of success, I had to look pretty hard to find anything of use in the chapters dealing with those issues. Yes, you can certainly skim that parts that don't apply, and I did. But I was annoyed that I'd parted with my hard-won coppers for essentially half a book's worth of ideas.
That having been said, Sher's writing is engaging and open, and I applaud her life's mission. She is clearly living her dream, and hopes to inspire others to do the same. Those looking for that type of inspiration, however, will be much better served by one of her other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Roadmap to Success!, 30 July 2008
I Could do Anything if I Only Knew what it Was provides practical common sense guide for determining what career you should decide on. In other words it helps you discover what makes you want to jump out of bed in the morning.

The book is informative, refreshing and extremely useful. There are many rich topics for anyone who isn't sure what he/she wants to be when he/she grows up! Some of the topics are: What are you suppose to be doing?, Fear of Success: Leaving the Ones You Love Behind, I Want too Many Things, I'm all over the Map, Help! I'm not Ready to be Born Yet, How to Live an Extraordinary Life and much more.

Besides excellent topics there are fun exercises and explanations to learn what makes you tick.

For example, I wasn't sure if the book could categorize me very well, but it did. I have many varied types of interests and the book validated who I am and what I enjoy doing.

Barbara Sher called us Scanners. These are individual who want to taste everything. She goes on to say "To scanners, the universe is a treasure house full of a million works of art, and life is hardly long enough to see them all." Sher notes that career aptitude tests tend to miss scanners. This book provides some great recommendations to be successful by not changing.

The thread throughout the book is to be true to whom you are and mold a career around yourself! This is an excellent book for anyone who is ready to make a decision on finding their dream career!

The Re-Discovery of Common Sense: A Guide To: The Lost Art of Critical Thinking

5.0 out of 5 stars I could do anything if I only knew what i want, 15 Aug. 2009
This book is a must for "drifters" who have not found their real vocation yet...and it focuses on apparently unimportant facts that are , actually, shaping our lifes deeply. Excellent pieces of advice to discover your real vocation,....whether you are brave enough to follow the action..that is a different matter.

I could call it a life changing book...excellent

5.0 out of 5 stars Very mind-and heart-opening reading;), 20 Mar. 2012
This was a really interesting and useful book to read. It put a lot of things in order! some chapters I read just to inform myself - and some points helped me understand some people I know better, making their inner workings clearer... for the things that was in my line I did the exerzices and wow! they are powerful. This is a good read for anyone who have a small voice in their minds saying... "It would be nice if..." or "perhaps one day..." and do the work! it is amazing what kind of voices we carry around in our heads!

3.0 out of 5 stars Book review, 7 July 2011
Easy to read and you can pick out the relevant areas. I found it useful and interesting however I am not sure that it will give me the tools to really change my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 8 Jan. 2011
Peter Gerlach "Peter Gerlach" (Baden Württemberg) - See all my reviews
This book was recommended to me by a good friend. At first I hesitated because I have a lot of books but then I gave in and bought it and I am very happy that I bought it. Fantastic book packed with great examples and advice. Highly recommend it. 5 Stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Although I agree with the concept, I still walk away with no idea of what to do., 16 Feb. 2014
I like Barbara Sher, I understand her concept of a scanner. She does an excellent job of fleshing out the problem and understanding our aches and pains. However, the exercises just open a Pandora's box of more questions. I've read the book many times over 10 years, and I still don't know what I want to do. Sorry to be so harsh, but because I keep re-reading the book over and over for a decade, and working the exercises and still feel lost, I feel my review is more relevant and more important than the other reviewers who immediately rush to write a review before working the exercises and giving it time.

4.0 out of 5 stars very motivational, 6 Nov. 2012
Amazon Customer (Alexandria,Egypt) - See all my reviews
I liked the book. touches on a lot of sensitive subjects relating to ones chilhood experiences that influence us as adults.Interesting read

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT, 22 Nov. 2013
I bought this book several years ago, like almost 15 years ago but I remember how much I loved it and learned from it. That book became my companion for several months as I was trying to apply the principles taught in it. Very enjoyable read as well as truly useful and eye opening. LOVE IT. If you're questionning what your calling in life is, turn to this book, it will lead you along the way

I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was: How to Discover What You Really Want and How to Get It
Used & New from: £0.12