5.0 out of 5 stars modern language and a whole new way of thinking
I use the workbook nearly every day and am constantly fascinated.
Published on 24 May 2004 by T. Korpi

2.0 out of 5 stars Original, but lacking theorical backup
I think this book proposes an interesting way to follow the I Ching, but I think nobody could really understand his meaning without adquiring previously a deeper insight into the meanings an orders hidden in I Ching.
This is more a notebook than a book.
Published on 30 Jan 2006 by lector

5.0 out of 5 stars modern language and a whole new way of thinking, 24 May 2004
T. Korpi (Bemidji, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The I Ching Workbook (Plastic Comb)
I use the workbook nearly every day and am constantly fascinated.
R.L. Wing's translation is modern and accessible, but still quite poetic. The "classic" Wilhelm translation is really difficult to understand and so many other translations/permutations that I've seen are so gimmicky as to be a bit... undignified. Wing's presentation of the text seems to demonstrate respect for the original essays and cultivates a wider understanding of what you're reading in each hexagram and even how that can be applied in other aspects of Taoist practice.
The workbook format really encourages you to keep track of your journey with the I Ching and, after a time, adds a whole new dimension to your study. If you're a beginner it's definitely the best way to start, but it's never too late!
It's quite different to the I Ching as presented by Wilhelm or as philosophised about by Carol Anthony, but I'd recommend it to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Taoism can change your life., 9 Sep 2002
This review is from: The I Ching Workbook (Plastic Comb)
I first bought this book about 18 years ago, with no previous experience of taoism or the I Ching, or indeed any Eastern philosophy. It's an excellent introduction to the subject. You start by throwing a few coins and reading a few hexagrams with amused interest. In a short time you will be amazed at how your thinking starts to change. I have found Taoist philosophy a source of inspiration ever since.
If you are new to the subject I'd also recommend The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff for an effortless and amusing introduction to Taoism.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incisive. Insightful., 25 Feb 1999
This review is from: The I Ching Workbook (Plastic Comb)
And yes, relevant. This is not a mere "transliteration" of some ancient holy book; it's a living, interactive experience. It makes sense, something no other translation has done for me. I guess that's all I can say, is what it's done for me. and there's not enough space for that!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Insightful, 26 Jan 2004
Joe Mendonca "Joe Journeys" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The I Ching Workbook (Plastic Comb)
I started using this workbook many years ago after a reccommendation and since then have truly been moved by it, even having shared my readings with friends, this book provides insight into ourselves and helps guide us in the direction we are taking, along with real solutions to solving our inner conficts... its insightful and helpful... and one that can be referred to again and again!
A must have!

5.0 out of 5 stars I use this book all the time., 19 Nov 2003
By A Customer
I've been using this book for divination purposes since I got my copy in 1990.The I Ching is a fantastic method of gaining insight into yourself as well as others. It's advice can be applied to political, work, interpersonal or inner aspects of life. I use it also as a guide for looking at future ramifications of the decisions I make, and to get a grip on what others are thinking, feeling & planning to do.
Although it is ancient, it's messages are totally relevent to life today & this book gives clear explanations and is not cluttered with mumbo jumbo.
Because of this I've found it far better than other I Ching books I've tried to use. It is simple enough for a complete beginner to use within minutes, yet I have spent many, many hours using it over the years & it only gets more exciting & fascinating.I truly couldn't function without it any more! So glad it's still in print.

5.0 out of 5 stars A marvelous translation of the I-Ching., 13 Feb 1999
This review is from: The I Ching Workbook (Plastic Comb)
I have read more than a few translations of the I-Ching, and RL Wing's translation surpasses them all. Wing begins with a scholarly introduction, and the first sentence carries much meaning: "The book you have opened is an ancient treasure." The book continues to explain the Tao, Yin and Yang, the Trigrams and the Hexagrams in simple, yet profound, prose.
The workbook format is ideal, and by recording the results of your inquiries you will gradually see the patterns of your life unfolding.
And yes, it really works.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life., 19 Feb 1999
This review is from: The I Ching Workbook (Plastic Comb)
Of all R.L. Wing's books, this is the closest to me. Before it, I slept. For 32 years I existed unconsciously. Now, I live. I breathe, I am aware, I am vigilant, I am naturally. There is a reason you're investigating this book. Discover it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have to help harness the power of the I-Ching, 12 Feb 1999
This review is from: The I Ching Workbook (Plastic Comb)
If you bought RL Wing's classic "Illustrated I-Ching", then this book is a must have. It will guide you through the I-Ching and help you broaden your understanding of this ancient Chinese text.

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding book, 17 Feb 1999
This review is from: The I Ching Workbook (Plastic Comb)
I started working through this book several weeks ago, and have found it to be clear, practical and understandable.
It has already made an impact in my life.
A must have for anyone wanting to learn about the I Ching.

5.0 out of 5 stars RL Wing has given the key, 22 Feb 1999
This review is from: The I Ching Workbook (Plastic Comb)
I bought this book just to say that I had read a copy of the I Ching. Then I became fascinated with the book as I read through the introductory material in the beginning, and tried throwing the coins a few times. As I gained experience and my intuitive mind began to unfold before me I learned that the I Ching is much more than a mere divination tool.

The I Ching Workbook
The I Ching Workbook by Wing (Plastic Comb - 1 Sep 1988)
15.01