5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I have ever read., 14 Jan 2013
This review is from: A Pillar of Iron
I read this when I was a teenager and I liked it so much, I went on to study ancient Roman history and even went to Italy and Tunisia (Carthage) on my own several times to visit as many museums and ruins as I could.
I somehow lost my original copy and with this purchase, I can be transported to ancient Rome in my mind once again.
Taylor Caldwell is a superb writer. She makes you feel as if she was actually there and her descriptions are masterful.
A superb read!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars so interesting, 16 Feb 2011
This review is from: A Pillar of Iron (Hardcover)
I read this book when it was first published and found it fascinating then. I recently ordered it from Amazon Marketplace to re-read it following our book club choice and discussion of 'Imperium' by Robert Harris. (I've now got to re-read that and 2 others on the life of Cicero, I think!!).
My mother introduced me to Taylor Caldwell and I have enjoyed all I have read of hers but this book in particular. I am not normally interested in politics but the life of Cicero is so compelling and at such an exciting period of change in history - Julius Caesar and his Triumvirate being almost the culmination - leading to Caesar Augustus of biblical fame.
This book is extremely well researched and although fiction has footnotes stating the sources of various 'quotes'. At times I found the style a little 'pompous' but this distracted little from the overall reading experience.
It is possible to find occasional similarities with American politics of today. It appears that what the life and times of Cicero prove is that we learn very little from past history! If you enjoy biography, history and colourful characters then this is the book for you!

ARRAY(0xb46d93a8)

A Pillar of Iron
A Pillar of Iron by Taylor Caldwell (Hardcover - Jun 1965)
Used & New from: 4.15