5.0 out of 5 stars Superb book
Quick synopsis:
Published on 24 Sept. 2008 by Katherine Radcliff

3.0 out of 5 stars All in all this was a disappointment
I really enjoyed the two first books in this series - but this one left me cold.
The story itself is OK, although I found it somewhat more longwinded than the first books.
But the real problem was that the paradoxes between this and the previous books just kept removing my attention from the tale itself.
In addition to this I did not find way the paradoxes...
Published on 6 July 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb book, 24 Sept. 2008
Quick synopsis:
Sky of Swords is the tale of Princess Malinda, Ambrose IV's daughter. After her father is killed by the king of Baelmark, she is left in a Chivial spiralling into a realm of deception, treachery, anger and confusion. The fight for the throne of Chivial is a bitter one and it is not just Malinda who is endangered - the King's Blades, with whom she develops a close bond, are also at risk of becoming history.

I thought this was a worthy conclusion to the plots of the previous two books. Other reviewers didn't like the way the contradictions were solved but I have to say I thought it was very good. Clever and not an easy way out - I found it quite tragic because of the implications it had. The character of Malinda is totally believable, sympathetic but flawed and all her mistakes, the misfortunes she has, are things you can imagine yourself doing or getting caught up in as you read. The other characters are great too and especially Malinda's relationships with her Blades. What this book has on the last two is a genuinely good love story, too. Durendal and Kate was good but it never reached the emotional depths as Malinda's affair with Sir Dog.
This book is not for people who love endless action and maybe because of that it will annoy some people. However it is in my opinion a serious page-turner. The action is political. It is intrigue and mystery and underhand actions and that makes it very, very interesting.
Dave Duncan's strength as a writer is his fantastic, detailed plots and he pulls them all together here in style. It's nice to see that both Durendal and Radgar have a lot of relevance in Sky of Swords and in the end we can see that all three of their stories are endlessly linked.
I think Duncan is a master storyteller but he is also a master at creating brilliant characters and as I've said, Malinda is one of them. Excellent as well are Dog, Courtney, good ol' Ambrose (you know you'd miss him if he wasn't in it a bit!) and lots of others.
Anyway all I can say is that this book is highly recommended, but don't read it unless you've read the first two (i.e. The Gilded Chain and Lord of the Fire Lands) because although technically all are standalone novels, I think you will get a lot more out of all three by reading them in succession.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book., 10 Jan. 2008
Emily Johnson "lhiannanshee" (Bradford, England) - See all my reviews
in my opinion, this is a fantastic end to the trilogy. I adored the character of Miranda and her relationships with the blades were really interesting. If you read the others, this one makes sense of the plot. It's fantastic.

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthy climax to the stirring series, 5 Nov. 2002
Having been introduced to Dave Duncan's work with "The Gilded Chain" (now a well-thumbed & well-read copy) & having been suitably impressed (& confused) by the follow-up "Lord of the Fire Lands" & the paradoxes raised I had to read the third book to make sense of it all. Like the previous two it was a real page-turner, hurrying you along to find out what happened next throughout the book. Whilst the story was very good I found the need to find out how/why the background history differed from the first book pushed me into guessing how things would probably resolve with a good few pages to go, but the journey to that plot resolution was still worthwhile. Whilst not as interesting to return to as the first book it was still superior to many other novels & certainly Dave Duncan deserves to be mentioned for his excellently believable worlds & characters in the same sentence as Raymond Feist & David Gemmell. I look forward to reading the next book in the series on the strength of the those so far.

3.0 out of 5 stars All in all this was a disappointment, 6 July 2004
By A Customer
In addition to this I did not find way the paradoxes was resolved very beliveable although it did resolve the contradictions.
I won't say that the book is not worth reading - and if you have read the two first books, you will probably want to read this book to resolve the contradictions already introduced.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointment!, 21 April 2005
By A Customer
After reading the other books in the Kings Blades series, this one left me cold. The plot, if you can call it that, is about as convincing as when Bobby Ewing came back out of the shower - maybe that's where the author got the idea! It really was a waste of 450 pages, and having to flick backwards and forwards to try and make sense of the contradictions with the rest of the series (Durendal dead.....wait a minute.....he wasn't in the last book.....!!)was a major pain in the neck. The ending had to be contrived, just to keep some form of continuity for the future. If I could give this a minus number of stars, I would. In a word, awful.

Sky of Swords (Tale of the King's Blades)
Sky of Swords (Tale of the King's Blades) by Dave Duncan (Hardcover - 1 Oct. 2000)
Used & New from: £2.33