5.0 out of 5 stars How do I keep from gushing over this book?
Published on 28 Jan 1999

Published on 7 Feb 2008 by Misfit

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonably entertaining (but predictable) Beauty and the Beast Plot, 7 Feb 2008
Misfit (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Rose in Winter (Paperback)
Erienne Fleming's father, the hard drinking and gambling mayor of their northern England town needs to sell her in marriage to the highest bidder to pay off his gambling debts. Handsome Yankee Christopher Seton wants Erienne, but since Christian is the one he owes the greatest debt to, Christian is banned from bidding for her hand. Instead, Erienne's hand is purchased by the mysterious Lord of Saxton who was horribly injured and scarred for life in a fire. Erienne is as first horrified by her new husband's appearance and fights her growing attraction to Christopher at the same time and thus begins KEW's take on the Beauty and the Beast.

Unfortunately, as much fun as KEW's romances can be to read, this book has some major flaws. The big twist in the plot is pretty easy to figure out. In fact, almost everything in the book is pretty easy to figure out. The bad guys were inept and almost cartoonish in their bad deeds. Erienne is supposed to be intelligent and well educated, but her initial reactions to her disfigured husband just don't ring true, Stuart was nothing but kindness itself and a very gentle and loving husband. She was always running off and getting herself into a pickle so that Christopher could rescue her, and it got to be just a tad bit over the top that every man in the book was dying to jump her bones.

All in all, not the worst in the historical romance genre, but far from the best either and certainly not one of KEW's better efforts (which would be Ashes in the Wind), but well suited for a rainy Sunday afternoon easy on the brain type of fluff. I'm sorely torn between a two and three star rating, so I'm calling it at 2.5 stars rounded it up to three.

5.0 out of 5 stars How do I keep from gushing over this book?, 28 Jan 1999
This review is from: A Rose in Winter (Mass Market Paperback)
This was the first romance I ever read and didn't even know it was a romance at the time. The first copy I read was a condensed version which was in one of my mother's Good Housekeeping magazines about twelve years ago. After that, I found it in a store bought it and haven't lost it since. I've read all her books but this one is by far my favorite. It is possibly the best romance I've ever read. I only wish there were more stars to give it. The storyline is wonderful!! It's classic "Beauty and the Beast" only better. The characters are moving and their romance is tender and oh so exciting. Okay, so I have to gush a little....I LOVE IT!! LOVE IT!! LOVE IT!! As a matter of fact, just writing about it has brought it to mind again and now, I must get my copy out and read it again!

5.0 out of 5 stars KATHLEEN AT HER BEST, 7 Oct 2007
This review is from: A Rose in Winter (Mass Market Paperback)
three books of kathleens stand out this is one of them,shanna and ashes in the wind are the other two .i own all her books and i will not part with any of them.take my advice and treat yourself to a kathleen woodiwiss novel you will be hooked!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars avid reader, 7 Oct 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Rose in Winter (Paperback)
a bit slow to start, but couldnt put it down, even though i had an idea of who the masked man was, very enjoyable, worth a read

5.0 out of 5 stars A really great book, 20 Jun 1999
This review is from: A Rose in Winter (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the first book that I read by Ms. Woodiwiss. I thought it was great. The characters were wonderfully developed, and the story was also very interesting. Now that I have read all of the other Woodiwiss books, I have got to say: READ SO WORTHY MY LOVE. It is the only book better than A rose in Winter.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a sweeping romance., 28 May 1999
This review is from: A Rose in Winter (Mass Market Paperback)
I though this book was very well written. It cought me totally off guard when Saxon revealed himself. I was totally shocked. I had to go back and read it agian to make sure I read it right. This is a classic "Beauty and the Beast" tail. When I read it, the book was my second Woodiwiss book. The Flame and the Flower being the first. I love the way Erienne was desribed. It gave me such a good picture, I drew her for my art class and got an A on it. Woodiwiss has got me hooked on her novels. Thanks for such a great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars KATHERINE's BEST EVER!!!!, 12 May 1999
This review is from: A Rose in Winter (Mass Market Paperback)
I first read this book in 1987 in less than 3 days. I've read it several times since and it totally envelopes me and I enjoy it more each time. If ever a Movie for TV needed to be produced, this is the one with Susan Lucci or Jane Seymour playing Erienne. Ms.Woodwiss is truly the best historical romance writers of her time and she has captured the true essence of romance with this book. I always recommend it as #1 on my list.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-read, 27 Nov 1998
This review is from: A Rose in Winter (Mass Market Paperback)
This is a beautiful and moving love story.The kind of love that the hero has for the heroine makes the love of Romeo and Juliet look childish. You wil fall in love with Christopher and Sexton. Are there such perfect men and lovers on earth? It makes you envious of Etrienne.This is a story that you will not forget. I stayed up all night to read it. Just couldn't put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully written! Sigh..., 27 Sep 1998
This review is from: A Rose in Winter (Mass Market Paperback)
This was the first book that I've read from Kathleen Woodiwiss and after reading it I instantly became a Woodiwiss fan. I love the characters in here, Erienne so feisty and full of energy, Christopher although handsome but to me his character had a charming, boyish quality that I liked. And last Lord Saxton, so mysterious and intriguing I kept questioning who he is, even though I had my suspicions it was Christopher. Woodiwiss writes this book like poetry and makes me sigh everytime I read it. This is the type of book you can read over and over again and never get tired but enjoy it endlessly. A definite keeper and favorite of all the Woodiwiss books I've read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I will never tire of this book., 7 Sep 2001
This review is from: A Rose in Winter (Mass Market Paperback)
This is Kathleen Woodiwiss at her very best.A must read for all historical romance fans. I have read this book so many times I have lost count. The characters are wonderful ,lots of sexual tension as well as witty banter between the two of them. The flame and the flower and The Wolf and the Dove are also excellent books ,but this is the best.

A Rose in Winter
A Rose in Winter by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss (Mass Market Paperback - 31 Oct 1990)
4.70