4.0 out of 5 stars The ending will have you in tears
I've said in another review that Elmore Leonard fills an important hole in my reading by providing a pleasant read at times when I don't want to be challenged by over complex plots, over complex characters or over complex words. It might be veiled but that is a compliment.

Published on 19 Mar. 2009 by dangermash

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but not Mind Blowing
In “Forty Lashes Less One” (1972) Elmore Leonard weaves a tale about racial prejudice and human nature: Bible thumper meets convicts. Just when you think you know how it will end, Leonard surprises you. I enjoyed the novel, and I’d recommend it to any reader who enjoys Westerns or stories about prison life.
Published 11 months ago by Kathy Steinemann

4.0 out of 5 stars The ending will have you in tears, 19 Mar. 2009
dangermash (Hartlip, Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forty Lashes Less One (Mass Market Paperback)

This is, I think, the seventh of his Westerns that I've read and it's my favourite. It addresses the issues of institutional racism, corruption in prisons and the theory that even criminals have some good in them somewhere. The high spot of the book is the very last page. It's a page that (I guess) is delivering some sort of message about the issues examined by the book.

I was in tears at the end but I won't spoil the fun by telling you what thoughts or emotions were going through my head at that point.

It's an unforgetable book. You won't be disappointed.

Nuff said.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic of the Genre, 12 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Forty Lashes Less One (Mass Market Paperback)
This blew me away. I'm a big Leonard fan, but have just started on his 'old' westerns. Forget 5.10 to Yuma, someone make a film of this one please! I don't think I'd even read a 'western' before this. This is sharp, fast, violent, funny and cruel. A temporary prison warden, in an institutionally corrupt and racist prison, tries a bigoted redemption theory on two persecuted (or 'problem') inmates. And you can forget John Wayne.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Story, 14 Jan. 2015
Duncan Light (Glasgow, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forty Lashes Less One (Mass Market Paperback)
By no means a traditional Western, this is a great read from Elmore Leonard full of cracking dialogue and memorable characters. Although set in a soon to close prison in Yuma in the early 1900's this novel is very much part of (and about) the late 60's and early 70's and the rise of black consciousness in a white male dominated world. However, this is not the dry, politically correct novel that it could have been (and surely would have been if written today). Rather, this is gritty and dirty, and has plenty of humour albeit of the dark kind.
As usual with Leonard novels, things happens seemingly at random with unexpected results so that the reader is never sure of the final outcome. Unlike others, I am unconvinced by the ending but its tremendous entertainment and well worth reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but not Mind Blowing, 5 Feb. 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Not one of his best (in my opinion)., 29 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Forty Lashes Less One (Mass Market Paperback)
I felt this was ok, but it didn't hold my interest throughout, and wasn't a case of "can't put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Leonard's the man!, 1 July 2013
This review is from: Forty Lashes Less One (Mass Market Paperback)
Would recommend to all Leonard and Western fans. His books are always worth reading. Both his Westerns and contemporary crime novels.

4.0 out of 5 stars Short and sweet!, 3 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Forty Lashes Less One (Mass Market Paperback)
Couldn't put it down! Leonards was a very gifted storyteller. This book has everything I look for in fiction: well defined, interesting characters, good dialogue and an engrossing story. Not to mention the writing. I really like his cool, no-nonsense, to-the-point style.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, 19 Aug. 2014
S. E. Walsh (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forty Lashes Less One (Mass Market Paperback)
Elmore Leonard has never written a duff word. This story is well up to his best; everyone I have lent it to has enjoyed it.

Forty Lashes Less One
Forty Lashes Less One by Elmore Leonard (Mass Market Paperback - Nov. 2002)