‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wondrous in its romance, magical to read, 13 Jan 2006
E. W. Hiemstra (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Again the Magic (Mass Market Paperback)
What a brilliant book! This is the first book that I've read of hers and I will hunt the earth to find all of Ms Kleypas' books. The story is brilliant from page 1; hot romance, a true hero and a heroin with very human qualities. The story of McKenna and Aline is very believable and shows a lot of depth of character. The second love story between Livia and Shaw is also heartwarming and adds to the story line in my opinion. This book brought a lump to my throat at times (quite rare with most romance novels)and truly just wants to make me read more and more. The fact that Aline has her own human deficiencies (and not some skeleton in the closet but a true imperfection) makes her rejection of McKenna very understandable (after all, there is nothing more difficult for a true beauty than to lose one's beauty). McKenna's plight, his struggle to rise above his working class background is also very realistic. All in all a truly excellent book - one that every lover of a great romance tale should not miss!

5.0 out of 5 stars There are no words..., 15 Mar 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Again the Magic (Mass Market Paperback)
McKenna and Aline grew up together. He is a stableboy, she is the daughter of an earl. They have been best friends since Aline was 8 and the housekeeper introduced the lonely little Lady to the lost little boy. As they grew older, their friendship gradually changed to something more, something deeper... The love they share is so deep and profound that when Aline's father, the earl, discovers his daughter is having a "sordid affair" with a lowly stableboy and threatens to destroy him completely, she does the only thing she can think of to help him. She sends him away.
Years later, McKenna is no longer a simple stableboy. In America he has made something of himself and is now determined to make Aline pay for what she did 12 years before. He hates her with a passion that equals the love he used to feel for her. Or so he thinks. Because the moment they meet, the pull between them is as intense as it was before and they are both breaking apart inside, trying to regain equilibrium without the other one noticing.
I finished reading Again the magic this morning at around 2.30 am and I've been tossing and turning all night. I feel like crying. I HAVE been crying. There's this huge lump in my throat that doesn't seem to want to go away any time soon. My heart was breaking again and again every couple of pages and I don't think I'll recover for a long time to come.
When I got up this morning, the first thing I did was clutch this book to my heart, scowl at everyone and start reading again from the beginning.
This is an intense read that will tear you apart if you let it. PLEASE let it!! Books like these, that grip you by the throat and don't let go, don't come around that often. Emotions are broiling and there is so much love it will make you wish you were loved like that! Try it, you will put Lisa Kleypas on your auto-buy list (if you haven't already)!
MS KLEYPAS - THANK YOU FOR AGAIN THE MAGIC!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG WOW!, 18 July 2007
Sian Louise (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Again the Magic (Mass Market Paperback)
This was my first Lisa Kleypas book, and I have just ordered another set after reading this.
This book was just amazing. I could not put the book down once I started, but obv due to work I had to and all I could think about was how much I wanted to finish this book off.
McKenna was just an amazing character, at times I couldn't believe he was being so cruel towards Aline but in a way it was almost understandable.
Aline was also a terrific character, I understood why she felt she couldn't tell him her secret but towards the end your thinking "OMG just tell him!"
I also felt the story between Gideon Shaw and Livia was very good, both of the characters were well written and very likable and you end up wanting the best outcome for both of them.

Lisa Kleypas is a terrific writer and I cannot wait until Amazon deliver the next set of her books to me, I wish I could rate this book more than 5 stars. If you love these kind of books, definately buy this. This is one that will remain on my bookcase to read again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A heart-stopping romance!, 4 July 2008
This review is from: Again the Magic (Mass Market Paperback)
Wow, what a wonderful writer and what a great story. I loved it. I am not going to give a review, so many have done a great job, but I will give my thoughts on it.

I loved John Mckenna, for me he was almost right up there with Derek Craven.
From stable boy to one of the richest men in NY. JM came back with every intention of revenge against the woman who spurned him, or so he thought, but he loved her too much to go through with it.
In the begining, you feel the heroines loneliness, and the vacuum that she lives in to numb her devastating loss. Then she meets Mckenna again, after 12yrs, and the shell cracks. She tells her best friend, Adam, she doesn't know if she'd survive this time after Mckenna leaves.
But later on you tend to feel a deeper empathy for the hero, especially at the end, when he's in so much pain, after he humbles himself for the woman he loves,
only to get shot down, once again.
Sigh, that was bad.

SPOILER ALERT!
When Mckenna realises he's lost Aline, who spurns him once again. He cannot bear the pain. He seeks out, Mrs Faircloth, the housekeeper, (the only mother he's known, from the time he was a little orphan boy.)He just stand there staring at Mrs Faircloth,devastated, knowing he had no where else to go. She opens her arms to him and he quietly weeps on her shoulders.
Oh god, that was heart-wrenching. You have to have read the story to know what I'm talking about!
I wanted to yell at Aline. What was wrong with that woman?!
Really, this man loved her beyond forever and she couldn't tell him the truth about her 'illness/accident' It had to take her long suffering brother, Marcus, to show her the ways of her stupidity!
Seriously she didn't deserve him, she should have done a lot more groveling in my opinion.(Or taken a page out of Sara Fielding's book. She was a great heroine.)

The secondary romance between Gideon and Olivia was good, and because it gives you a break to collect your breath from the emotional rollercoaster you're on when reading about Mckenna and Aline.

A great story full of emotions and angst.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lisa Kleypas outshines herself again!, 11 May 2004
This review is from: Again the Magic (Mass Market Paperback)
I've read thousands of romances... so it's inevitable some plots become rather stale. But Again The Magic is written so beautifully, I am immediately sucked in from the first page. I cannot sing highly enough of just what a wonderful read it is.
The theme of a lover scorned, returning for revenge is not new, but Ms Kleypas injects such MAGIC into the pages, you cannot help but be addicted to the style, agonize with the characters, and be sucked into the plot itself.
I laughed, cried, burned.... as the story swept me along, and this definitely wins hands down as the best Lisa Kleypas romance I've read thus far! And that's saying a lot, since I've enjoyed all her books!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wallflowers prequel, 23 Jan 2013
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Again the Magic (Mass Market Paperback)
Aline and McKenna may have grown up together but no matter how much they love each other no one would ever accept a relationship between an earl's daughter and one of the stable boys. Aline doesn't care about that though and she would happily give up everything to be with McKenna. The one thing that she does care about is McKenna though and when her father threatens to destroy him after finding out about their feelings for each other she does the only thing she can do - she pretends that she never loved him and sends him away. Now, years later, McKenna has built a fortune and returned to England determined to get revenge on the woman who broke his heart. The attraction between the two is undeniable but can they look through past hurts and present fears to find love again?

I have heard so many good things about Lisa Kleypas over the years that I have absolutely no idea why it has taken me so long to get around to trying one of her books. I have to say a massive thanks to Ange, Aly and Maru for giving me the kick I needed by buddy reading this with me because if all of her books are as good as this one I've been seriously missing out. Again the Magic had everything I want from a historical romance - forbidden love, a seriously hot hero, a heroine I can respect, a steamy affair, fun side characters that I'm looking forward to seeing more of and above all a story that left me with a smile on my face. I can't even tell you how much I'm looking forward to continuing with this series.

Aline didn't just break McKenna's heart by sending him away, she broke her own heart too. She really did do it because she believed it was the best thing for him but she never got over losing him and has never even looked at another man since he left. As much as she is still crazy about him she also has a big secret that makes her scared to get close to him again. She worries that if he finds out the truth he will reject her and she just can't take the pain that would cause. I have to admit to feeling a little frustrated with her at times for not telling McKenna the truth but I could understand why she was so nervous so was able to forgive her.

The McKenna who comes back into Aline's life is a very different man to the one she grew up with, he is a lot harder around the edges but that is because he built a shell around himself to protect his broken heart. Even when he is plotting his revenge you can see he doesn't really want to go through with it - he just can't help himself from loving Aline even when it's the last thing he wants. My heart broke for the younger versions of them both, so many wasted years just because of restrictions placed on them by society it really made my blood boil. I don't think I could have cheered harder when they finally found their happy ending but the pair sure don't make it easy on themselves.

One of the things I loved most was the way Aline's siblings were both so supportive of her building a relationship with McKenna. As the new earl her brother, Marcus, could easily have tried to put a stop to things but he genuinely wanted both of his sisters to be happy and he didn't care about McKenna's past - in fact I think he respected McKenna more because of the way he had built his fortune. I definitely have a soft spot for Marcus and am looking forward to his book. I also absolutely loved Aline's sister Livia, she was so sweet and I really felt for her after everything she had been through. The side story of her budding romance with Gideon was fabulous and I'm just disappointed that they don't feature as the main couple in a later book, I'm relieved that we do see more of them though. Again the Magic really was a fabulous historical romance and a great start to the Wallflowers series. If you haven't read anything by Lisa Kleypas before then like me you have been seriously missing out and I can't recommend this book highly enough! Now I'm off to get started on Secrets of a Summer Night!

5.0 out of 5 stars Agreeing with sian!!, 30 Aug 2007
Cathy Jones "Wales Forever" (Crewe, Cheshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Again the Magic (Mass Market Paperback)
I could not put the review better that the review done by sian!! Mckenna is brilliant supurb, so understandable!! and you definately think just tell him alline its so obvious he loves you, but she has to leave it to the last minute!! The gideon Shaw story was even better!! like to brilliant books in one well done Lisa!!

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT - COULDN'T PUT IT DOWN, 23 May 2007
This review is from: Again the Magic (Mass Market Paperback)
This was one of the first books that I have read by Lisa Kleypas, and I was not disappointed. Immediately the story sucked me in and straight away I liked the characters. Couldn't put it down until I had finished it, and I shall read it again more slowly next time to savour it.

5.0 out of 5 stars superb!, 21 Nov 2011
This review is from: Again the Magic (Mass Market Paperback)
I read this story at least a year ago now and it was fantastic, I adored it and have read it a few times over.

The Story Follows Aline a Lady who obviously has to marry a member of the ton but is madly in love with McKenna a servant in her home.

Needless to say it is all not plain sailing and I wont say more as I wouldn't want to spoil this story in any way. I've read hundreds of romances over the years and hate slush, this story was fantastically written, the relationship between the two was really one of the sweetest storys I've ever read (another is the wedding by Nicholas Sparks :) and there wasn't a hint of slush!

I'd recommend this story to anyone, it was beautiful and the romance impecable, you can't go wrong 5*!

5.0 out of 5 stars INTENSE ROMANCE, 12 Nov 2007
This review is from: Again the Magic (Mass Market Paperback)
This was actually my first Lisa Kleypas novel and i'm a Connie Mason and Johanna Lindsey fan so when i read this i was like ''Oh my God i'm definitely gonna look for more Kleypas' books''

You start reading it and you're like ''Oh let me guess different lifestyles, one's rich the other's poor, they'll definitely end up together''

yeah they did but the things that happen along the way are just so touching and moving that you're like ''Oh my God, this cant be happening to them'' even when you know such people dont exist......... I loved it and wished I had someone who loved me with such intense passion and abandon...

If you love romance novels then buy this...TRUST ME YOU GOTTA HAVE THIS IN YOUR SHELVES!!!!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Again the Magic
Again the Magic by Lisa Kleypas (Mass Market Paperback - 29 Feb 2004)
Used & New from: £0.01