5.0 out of 5 stars Can't get enough of the Birminghams!
Published on 21 Mar 2000

1.0 out of 5 stars trading in on other titles
boring - no storyline and constantly going over the same theme again anda again and again and again.......

CANNOT recommend
Published 11 months ago by Linda Wylie

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't get enough of the Birminghams!, 21 Mar 2000
By A Customer
In March 1998 I fell in love with "The flame and the flower". One year later I found out there were another Birminghams stories written by K. E. W. Since then I couldn't get to see "The elusive flame" or something about Jeff. Two weeks ago I finally bought "The elusive flame" and all I can say is: I can't get enough of the Birminghams. Although Cerynise and Beau are not as richly drawn as Heather and Brandon - I think they're too perfect and have no faults. I LOVED EVERY MOMENT OF READING IT ESPECIALLY WHEN BARNDON AND HEATHER WERE PRESENTED. I laughed when I read that Jeff was still calling Heather "Tory" and that Mrs. Clark is still alive. I'm sooo happy to have "The elusive flame" and the Birminghams! Ms. Woodiwiss, would you mind writing another story about this marvellous family? For example about Beau's sisters Suzanne and Brenna? I'd be so glad and grateful. Please continue and again let us feel the unforgettable atmosphere of the world you create. Thank you! PS: LOOKING FORWARD TO "A SEASON BEYOND A KISS"!

4.0 out of 5 stars elusive flame, 8 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Elusive Flame (Mass Market Paperback)
I enjoyed the Flame and the Flower very much and was looking forward the the seqwall and was not dissapointed, enjoyed it very much and look forward to more kathreen woodwisse books to read.

1.0 out of 5 stars trading in on other titles, 10 Aug 2013

CANNOT recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Elusive Flame, 14 Feb 2014
Have read this book several times and still enjoy it, highly recommended and so easy to read on your kindle

1.0 out of 5 stars Family saga, 15 Sep 2013
Nice to know what happens in the continuation of the family saga.
I am looking forward to the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Birmingham again, 29 Jun 2013
the second of the trilogy about the Birmingham family most enjoyable and again easy to order and carry around together

5.0 out of 5 stars Elusive Flame, 18 Jun 2013
I have read and re-read almost all of Kathleen Woodiwiss books takes you back to an era where passion and romance is as wild as your imagination takes you .... hard to put down

5.0 out of 5 stars Birmingham family, 26 Aug 2012
I have read some of the other Birmingham family books in paperback and enjoyed so thought to read more stories about the family. I was not disappointed I enjoy the relationships and the personalities involved.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Elusive Flame... a little too elusive for me!, 11 May 2011
This review is from: The Elusive Flame (Mass Market Paperback)
What is excellent about Woodiwiss' novels is that they are essentially timeless and perfect for escapism... a reader must therefore understand that the stories and characters are not going to be accurate presentations of 'real life' -it's just about losing yourself in an alternative universe!

I have read almost all of her books and have to comment that this one (ELUSIVE FLAME) is not her best... Ceryise and Beau are lovely -a little too lovely actually -and there are never any real 3-dimensional conversations between the two... it's just passion and lust. which is fine, but sometimes when the historical background is lacking a bit you want the characters to step up to the mark, and unfortunately, they don't. I would recommend that you read Woodiwiss' first novel -FLAME AND THE FLOWER because it is the prequel to ELUSIVE FLAME and much better. ELUSIVE FLAME lacks her usual spice for historical research/portrayal and I found Ceryise a bit tedious at times.

If you like novels that have lots of adventure, beautiful historical description and strong characters I would strongly recommend ASHES IN THE WIND (for a real meaty read with fun scenes), SHANNA -(because Ruark is possibly the best of Woodiwiss' heroes and Shanna herself is brilliant), WOLF & THE DOVE (for a bloody saxon vs norman romance), A ROSE IN WINTER (a bit predictable but Christopher is worth it) and FLAME AND THE FLOWER (because it is the better version of ELUSIVE FLAME) - in that order.

Give these ones a try before you read others of her more recent works, simply because the first lot are the best and Woodiwiss seems to become slightly repetitive in her story-lines the more books she wrote. A wonderful author -but her best ideas were at the beginning in her first five masterpieces!

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Woodiweiss, 15 Jan 2010
This review is from: The Elusive Flame (Mass Market Paperback)
Excellent story where you get to meet old friends and make new ones. Delivered well within deadline and well packaged.

The Elusive Flame
The Elusive Flame by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss (Mass Market Paperback - 4 Oct 2007)
6.23