5.0 out of 5 stars An exciting early Victorian romance
Published on 31 Oct 2002 by ambersaxon696

2.0 out of 5 stars Slow
As a fan of Lisa Kleypas, unlike the over reviewers I was disappointed with this book.

Published on 25 Mar 2009 by Riven

5.0 out of 5 stars An exciting early Victorian romance, 31 Oct 2002
This review is from: Where Dreams Begin (Avon Historical Romance) (Mass Market Paperback)
"Where Dreams Begin" is one of the best early Victorian romances I have read. Ms. Kleypas again proved her fans that she is familiar with the era of early Victorian times in English Society. Lady Holly Taylor is a beautiful and intelligent young widow still mourning her perfect husband who died three years ago.She has accepted her fate of widowhood because she cannot imagine that she will love again. She thinks her love died with her too perfect gentleman husband.Zachary Bronson is a self-made millionaire, rough and ambitious and very successful. He can have any lady as his mistress but he cannot have his noble origins. He comes from a low and very difficult childhood and society cannot forgive him that despite of his vast business empire.
These two wonderfully whole and alive leading characters meet at a society gathering where Zach kisses Holly by accident. This kiss disturbs both of them and their story begins. Zach wants Holly more than anything in his life and he would do anything to have her. He offers her a job in his house to teach him and his family good society manners. Holly is outraged at the beginning but she realises that she needs her independence and this is the best way to get it. Their relationship is exciting, sometimes humorous, full of sexual tension and verbal fights. In Zachary's eyes Holly is the perfect gentlewoman and he wants her because he thinks she would be the ultimate goal in his ambitions to be recognised by the ton. Holly is attracted to him too but she fights it because she thinks her heart is with her dead husband.
This story is a wonderful story of two people who lived most of their lives in different social backgrounds and they have to adjust a lot in order to find happiness together. Both Holly and Zachary are fighting their emotions but they fall in love. Everything is against their union, all the unwritten society rules and the disapproval of their families but their love is victorious at the end.
WHERE DREAMS BEGIN is a beautifully written historical romance which shows the reader the power of love against all odds. The author has an excellent style in which she describes her characters, their emotions and passions.I am convinced that most historical romance readers will appreciate Ms. Kleypas' rare talent the way I do.

2.0 out of 5 stars Slow, 25 Mar 2009

I managed to stick with it and read to chapter 16, (the red dress and the 'fly in the ointment' best friend and promise) but had lost interest by then and didn't really care how it got sorted out. The leading lady at times needed a good shake and her 3 years old daughter carried conversations a 6 years old would be proud of, she was never only 3, especially when children in those times were kept away from adults most of the time and were more childlike than today. Therefore I found her unbelieveable when I believe I was supposed to find her huggable and cute!

Having read the other reviews I thought I'd dip in to the last chapter and to put it kindly found it sweet enough to make my teeth ache. Rather than wiping my eye as intended I was rolling them and thinking 'oh good grief' get on with it!'

This book was written some years ago and I am so pleased it was not the first book I bought by Ms Kleypas or I would have missed out on four of my most favourite romance books of all time, ie, the Wallflower series. They are definately 'keepers' and I have read them all twice and have begun again.

Where Dreams Begin is scheduled for the charity shop.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 30 Oct 2000
By A Customer
This is a good satisfying read. There was humour and some very sensual love scenes. I liked the way that Kleypas handled Holly's grief at her husband death(which happens three years before the story begins) Normally when we have a story about a widow, her former husband was abusive and cruel. This time, however, he was a husband that did her proud. Of course our hero is special and to us the readers more important than the dead husband. I liked the fact that a former love is dealt with so successfully - it enriches the next realationship (once Holly sorts her emotions out!). I have not enjoyed all of Kelypas' books yet this one is definetly a keeper. The reason why I did not give it 5 stars was because towards the end there is a scene which was just unnecessary.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very satisfying read, 2 July 2007
The tale of a ex-pugilist, out-spoken, rough around the edges self made millionare, with no taste who wants to enter society. He hires a daughter of an earl who is a widow to teach him how to be a proper gentleman. There is some wonderful dialogue and rapport between Zachary and Holly and I warmed to them immediately. The fact that Holly still grieves over the loss of her young husband is a mountain Zachary has to climb to win her. Her daughter Rose is adorable and her growing relationship with Zachary is heartwarming, tear-jearking and amusing. Far from lending this wonderful caring man outspoken man polish, Holly changes the way she views herself. I was completely engrosed (One of Lisa's better books) and would not put it down. Fortunately I was holiday and could devote a whole day to this delightful book. But the reasons why I didn't give it 5 stars were - the names were too Americanised for late Regency England; snowdrops and clematis do not flower at the same time in England (an anoying habit in her other books also); and the ending - Holly's illness - when she glimpses Heaven was a bit surreal. But don't let it put you off. It's a gem!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 25 Jan 2007
H. Mckeon (Ireland) - See all my reviews
A good romance from beginning to end ( save for the very last chapter which could have been omitted without affecting the rest of the story ).It was a more realistic romance than some books I have read because the romance spanned several months giving them a realistic time to get to know one another before anything physical happens ! All to often you find a romance leading to marriage etc after a couple of weeks - thereby not being believable.

This is one I'll keep to read again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fab, 6 Aug 2007
Sian Louise (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This was another excellent read!
Lisa Kleypas is becoming one of my fav authors.

Zachery (in my opinion) was very well written and a very likable character, he came across hard and mean etc but because of how he was written, he was easy to sympahise with and like.
Holly at times for me, was a little annoying, she spent 3 years in mourning for her dead husband and felt like she owed it to him to mourn him forever and marry his best friend (which he made her promise to him on his deathbed).
Rose was a brilliant asset to the storyline she bought out the softer edges to Zachery's character and she seemed like a adorable child.

If you love Lisa Kleypas, then definately go for this, was a light, feel good book which leaves u feeling very good at the end of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 7 Feb 2009
A little slow for my liking, especially towards the end, the last chapter was unnecessary in my opinion. Nevertheless, a good read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Memorable, 14 Nov 2005
Sarah Carter "SJ" (Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This was a fabulous story of love across the boundaries. Lisa Kleypas manages to pull off a difficult feat in making this believeable in an age where things like this probably didn't happen and I have to admit falling in love with her work as a result. I couldn't put this down after starting it - I adored the ungentlemanly Zachary and the proper Lady Holl. Suffice to say I have now ordered most of Lisa's work!

Where Dreams Begin (Avon Historical Romance)
Where Dreams Begin (Avon Historical Romance) by Lisa Kleypas (Mass Market Paperback - 7 Oct 2007)
6.70