4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, Wierd and Confusing
Published on 4 May 2001

1.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing
I never write reviews, but I had to for this title. I found this book deeply disturbing. Although written in the Dahl style, it is even darker than Dahl's work and rather less funny, because, whilst in Dahl's work it is usually the adults who are at fault and the children are the heroes, here there is no hero or likeable character, either adult or child.
It focuses...
Published on 30 Jun 2012 by N. Barlow

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, Wierd and Confusing, 4 May 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Angela and Diabola (Paperback)
In this book twins are born. One is a beautiful angelic faced child but the other is a fiendish little brat.These children are given simple names but when they are taken to be christened something terrible happens. The vicar takes one look at the angelic child and calls her Angela meaning an Angel and he takes one look at the fiendish child and calls her Diabola meaning The Devil. The parents are astounded but they can't do anything and Angela and Diabola are the childrens names. Angela is a brillant child maybe a little quiet and shy but on the whole she is everything a parent could wish for, Diabola however is a red-faced, cheeky little monster who is so terrible that her parents lock her up in a cage like some poor animal. In the end a miracle happens and after all of the twists and turns of this story the family are happy. I think that this book is fab. It's a little confusing at times but it all becomes clear in the end. Anyone who is just looking for a good read should buy this book. I'm giving the book 4/5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Piece of Work, 26 Jun 2009
This review is from: Angela and Diabola (Paperback)
I first read this book 10 years ago when I picked it out from my school's library, back then I found it very entertaining and even passed it on to my sister to read, who enjoyed it as much as I did. Reading it now I was able to enjoy the humor and the wonderfully written tale on a whole new level (being that much older and wiser) and it did not fail to disapoint.
This is a very entaining book that I would advise anyone to buy for their child and to even read themselves

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent with an unexpected ending, 3 Sep 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Angela and Diabola (Paperback)
I got it off a friend of mine who said it was great so I took it on holiday with me. It was brilliant, it was about a girl who was named after an angel, Angela and her twin who was named Diabola, latin for 'Evil One' It was about their parents struggle for survival while looking after the pair of them. I recommend it to anyone but mainly the material is for young teenagers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cleverly dark!, 16 Feb 2014
This review is from: Angela and Diabola (Hardcover)
Angela and Diabola was my childhood favourite. I completely disagree with reviews which suggest this will give children low self-esteem - it may involve parents struggling to cope, favouritism and bitterness, but it is also about unconditional love even when pushed to the limits. Children aren't as sensitive as we tend to treat them, they can also be quite dark - this book is a refreshing break from cutesy children's stories. A great book for all kids, but especially for young girls who don't like dressing as fairy princesses or my little ponies! Its characters may be extreme, but at times very relatable - for the moments where people are more Diabolas than Angelas...

1.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing, 30 Jun 2012
N. Barlow - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angela and Diabola (Paperback)
It focuses on a perfect twin and an evil twin. Angela is loved by all, Diabola is recoiled at, reviled by everyone who sees her, right from birth. The message this sent to me was very sad, despite Diabola's behaviour deserving it. How many insecure children feel that their sibling is favoured over themselves, or that they are innately a bad person? This book will reinforce that. The adults are weak and foolish, the good child is sickly sweet, there is death, and most disturbing, there is killing, arson and destruction by the evil twin. The messages in the book are mixed and confused. I finished it feeling I had to wash my hands and read something light and fluffy to take the uncomfortable feelings away! I threw the book in the bin, and, as a life-long book hoarder, that is not something I do lightly!
Such a shame as I enjoy Lynne Reid Banks' other work.

5.0 out of 5 stars review by my 9 yr old daughter, 14 July 2007
This review is from: Angela and Diabola (Paperback)
This book was great because it was very interesting how different the twins were. It was definitely not boring. It had a mixture of horror and humor,the scariest bit for me was when the evil twin developed new powers to seriously injure people. Angela and Diabola will always be my favourite book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 Aug 2014
This review is from: Angela and Diabola (Paperback)
My 8 year old son loved this!

1.0 out of 5 stars cannot recommend a purchase... so to speak, 15 Dec 2005
This review is from: Angela and Diabola (Paperback)
of all the books my children have picked out of library and bookshop shelves to read, this is the first time I have felt compelled to submit a negative review. This story of one angel child, and one devil, is in my opinion too dark for children. I dont often take a book and finish it myself just to find out what happens because I dont like the way the story is going. The ending doesnt make it any better, honestly there are so many fabulous books around, I am not trying to force my kids (9 and 6) to read happy unrealistic fairy land stuff, but a few Jaqueline Wilson books do enough to settle the balance. There are so many wonderful books around for this age group. Another reviewer suggested early teens was the right age for this book, I hope by then my children will be reading something a lot more diverse and challenging.. so no, not sure of age group, or what role this really plays in kids literature. sorry to be prudish, spend your fiver on something less complicated.

Angela and Diabola
Angela and Diabola by Lynne Reid Banks (Paperback - May 1998)
Used & New from: £0.01