‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put the book down, it was outstanding!, 31 July 1999
This review is from: Descent (Mass Market Paperback)
I read this book in two days...
This utterly amazing statement may not impress many, so let me tell why it should. First understand that I do not read books. I am the unfortunate victim of technology's evil grasp. I play video games instead of reading. I am nineteen years old and have only read no more than fifteen books of my own free will. Books bore the life out of me. I visited Mr. Telep at his book signing in a sci-fi store in Orlando. He recommended Descent to me, and having played the game I picked it up and bought it. After remaining untouched in my room for two weeks, I eventually cracked it open and read the first few pages. I read with high expectations and a pathetically low attention span. This book completely hooked me in the first chapter. Peter Telep somehow captured the essence of this game into words, bringing my gaming experience to life. It was an extremely exciting and invigorating experience. I couldn't put the book down; I read it in four sittings - fifteen hours total. He deeply drew me into the action, and so totally entrenched me in the plot that I didn't even boot up my computer or go hang out with my friends until the book was finished.
Congratulations Peter, I'd recommend this book to anyone. I don't even read for fun and here I am on Amazon.com (for the first time) to give Descent a five star review. Keep up the quality work, and when I next go to a bookstore (when I get my schoolbooks), I'll surely seize the sequel.
-SteveVD

5.0 out of 5 stars for a basic NON sci-fi reader this book was an eye opener, 13 Jan. 1999
This review is from: Descent (Mass Market Paperback)
im NOT a big fan of sci-fi in print though i watch it all on tape and tv.im a totally disabled marine vietnam vet and buy a LOT of books. the people at the store know what i like and pull books for me. when i saw this i was very hesitant until they pointed out it was about a MARINE.that got my attention and i took a chance.IM VERY GLAD I DID AND RECCOMMEND IT TO EVERYONE.he made a couple goofs like using ex marine and anyone knows that having gone through boot {IM AN EX DI AT P.I.} I.T.R. and school your ALWAYS a marine in spirit and heart.and when ben got wounded he was right on the money on bens reaction as wounds dont usually or kill.the adreneline prevents pain and shock is what gets ya. ive got 3 purples and i know.as i said i read a lot and this book GRABBED me and wouldnt let go.i read at night in bed and it was dawn before i realised it.i read it in two sittings as i just couldnt wait to turn the page.it made me sad,mad glad,happy,angry,and down right compassionate for what they were going through especially with the beauracacy micro managing them every step of the way. i was VERY<VERY upset though when i finally read the last word on the last page.WHY-you ask? simple.THE BOOK WAS DONE<OVER KAPUT<FINI.but im a MARINE and i simply sucked it in and accepted it.as my old instructor used to say if the corps wanted you to have emotions they would issue them at boot camp. cant wait for number 2-3-4-5-6-etc. etc. etc.keep em coming pete and SEMPER-FI,joe
l.
o.
l.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Descent Novel has added a new dimension to a game that I love. Peter Telep has managed to bring Descent to life for me!, 30 Mar. 1999
This review is from: Descent (Mass Market Paperback)
I said it before in December 1995 when the shareware version of Descent was released and I'll say it again about this new novel from Peter. "Once you've gotten hooked on Descent it is like a drug, each time you find yourself wanting the rush to be even better"
The Descent Novel has added a new dimension to a game that I love. Peter Telep has managed to bring Descent to life for me! I have flown in the same mines described in the book that Ben St John fights for his life in. I even anticipate a bot before it's mentioned in the book! I can recall many points of interest in the game that Peter has mentioned. The first night I read the book I found myself in a dream just like I did (and still do) when the game was released in Dec'95.
I am an avid reader of Robert Jordon, Terry Brooks, Star Trek and Star Wars books and I consider Peter Telep's work on Descent among my favorite and best of any I have read.
I can't wait for the next novel in this series or a Movie! How about it Interplay MAKE US A DESCENT MOVIE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspired by a game, the book is a scifi fiction inspiration., 17 Jun. 1999
This review is from: Descent (Mass Market Paperback)
The most impressive thing about this book was the resistance to the usual clichés of the genre, while still managing to be an exciting scifi read. Characters are stereotypes of the fiction but the way Peter Telep has created them they are so much more. For most of the book anything could happen to anyone at any time and the reader is left sure who was going to get it next, and a lot of time what was going to happen next. There are some inspired scifi creations with all that is necessary for an exciting scifi read: military intrigue, company politics, automated rebellion, space ships, destruction, strange alien presences and more. This book has more intelligent ideas in than I have found in the last ten books I read of this kind, but at the same time it is an exciting and enjoyable read. Look out for Peter Telep, if he keeps coming with this standard of fiction he is going to take scifi fiction by storm. I picked up this book on holiday in Florida and I sure hope Telep's books have made it over to this side of the Atlantic.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent Sci-Fi adventure., 13 April 1999
This review is from: Descent (Mass Market Paperback)
If you are on a quest for a sci-fi adventure with virtually nonstop action then Peter Telep's "Descent" will take you to the right place. You will travel into a world within the moon's interior as you ride along with Benjamin St. John in an attempt to find his equivalent of a holy grail. Ben is helped and hindered along the way by a small number (not including mass quantities of mechanical bad guys) of human and not so human characters. This small cast allows the pace of the story to approach light speed. Thankfully the author forces you to breathe frequently with the use of a sarcastic wit that would make Twain proud. (Mark, not Shania.) If laughing out loud embarrasses you then reading "Descent" in a public place should be avoided. In all grail quests these questions exist. Is the hero (Ben) worthy enough to find what he is looking for and if so is he worthy enough to keep it? By the end of your adventure you may have an answer.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is good whether you like "Descent" the game or not, 6 May 1999
This review is from: Descent (Mass Market Paperback)
I've been playing Descent ever since it came out several years ago, and I'll be playing Descent when my calculator has an 800 MHz processor. The game is incredible. Peter Telep's novel, "Descent", captures the spirit of the game in an even more incredible manner - from the descriptions of weapons, bots, and combat to the relationships between the characters. Where this novel really succeeds is in that it never fails to mirror the game, yet it is never predictable. When I put down the book, I hated Dravis even more than when I finished "Descent", and I could imagine everything Ben St. John went through more vividly than even the advanced graphics in "Descent 2" could mimic. I would recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of Descent, or anyone who is a fan of space combat books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hell Of A Book! Welcome to Descent.. Prepare for the Worst!, 25 Mar. 1999
This review is from: Descent (Mass Market Paperback)
-Strap those Shakers into your pyro, load that Gauss cannon! PREPARE FOR DESCENT!-
Descent is one of the BEST books I have ever read. Being an addicted Descent player and having a site about Descent, I felt compelled to read it as soon as I heard it existed! Its really detailed, and gives me a new feel for the Descent world, now when I play the game, I always sorta think of it as a story :)
I read it in 3 days, and cant wait for Stealing Thunder!!
Even if you havnt ever played the game, its so descriptive that you wont miss a thing!
I recommend this book to any serious Descenter or someone just looking to read a GREAT Sci-Fi Book!
Amazing Book, Congrats and Thanks, Peter!
[PTMC Transmition Ended] {TySoft OUT}

5.0 out of 5 stars Always read the fineprint!, 30 Dec. 1998
This review is from: Descent (Mass Market Paperback)
Benjamin St. John is a veteran Marine flyer who finds himself with a medical discharge after being wounded in the line of duty. Now in need of a job and wanting to prove he's still the best, he accepts an important mission in hopes of being reinstated. Unfortunately, there are a few problems with the deal, he has to work with a man he detest, he can't trust the people's working for and he suspects his mind might not be totally his own, literally. Their mission is to rescue some scientist from a Lunar Outpost which is in the grips of an unknown menace which has converted their own creations into duplicates of the deadliest foe known to man, man himself!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars In a word... Descent!, 17 July 1999
This review is from: Descent (Mass Market Paperback)
I've played the games. I've learned that there is something more to PTMC than saving our souls from their rampaging robots.
But something was missing. I had no idea what Samuel Dravis looked like. Who I was playing in those mines.
This book and the next 2, portaying the games Descent 2 and 3, opens up a whole world that the games, while great, could never provide. After reading these books, I've been playing all the games over again.
I recommend these titles to both Descent players and people who like mystery novels, as everything PTMC does has shadows to explore and expose....

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Descent story..... ever, 12 Jan. 2000
This review is from: Descent (Mass Market Paperback)
I've never really been into reading books, i'm your typical 'would rather sit at his computer' guy. I'm usually skeptical about books based on computergames, the author usually tries to write about exactly what happens in the game -- not this one. I couldn't put this book down, Telep really adds atmosphere to the game, with believeable characters, and even a few chapters from the mechs perspective, with the added sinister undertow of the PTMC. Even if you have never played the game you don't miss out.
This book adds a whole new dimension to DESCENT

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Descent
Descent by Peter Telep (Mass Market Paperback - Jan. 1999)
Used & New from: £0.01