4.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling
This is a brilliant book that I could not put down.
Published on 18 Nov. 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Not your best!
Published on 3 Mar. 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Not your best!, 3 Mar. 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Dancing at Midnight (Avon Historical Romance) (Mass Market Paperback)
I think Julia Quinn's books are generally very engaging. I like her character portrayals and the amusing dialogues. I thought after 'Splendid' that Belle Blydon deserved her own story. However I wish the authoress had waited until a real plot had occurred to her before putting pen/fingers to paper/keyboard! The premise of the story is of a dark tortured hero unable to love because of a terrible crime committed during the war. I just couldn't get with the idea that failing to rescue a girl from a rape, that he didn't commit, would make him into this lost person. He wouldn't be very strong as a character.That he then made the guilty officer desert also seems weak, surely he would kill him! or challenge him to a duel! Belle, likewise acted in a wholly unlikely manner for the period, visiting a man's home at 9.00 in the morning. John Blackwood loses his dark brooding manner far too quickly, to gain my sympathy for him as a character, and Belle deserved a better role. The resolution for the climatic ending lacked credibility. I agree with other reviewers about the Americanism's in the grammar. To have someone say " I like that you.. or I want that you .." jars me very rapidly from the 18th century into 21st century America. Still I will continue to read Julia Quinn's books in the hope that this is just a one off aberration!

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweet and funny, 4 May 2007
Book Gannet (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Belle Blydon is taking a break from the ton, fed up of suitors who only pay attention to her looks and fortune (gosh, what a bind!), and ignore her intellect (well, she is something of a bluestocking). It is just as she's finishing her quest to read all of Shakespeare's plays in alphabetical order that she encounters the new neighbour to her cousin's estate. But just as she's beginning to enjoy their conversation, the man ups and leaves. Could it be that Belle Blydon, universally liked and loved by the ton, has found someone who dislikes her?

John, Lord Blackwood, was the youngest of seven children - neglected, ignored and assured that he would never amount to anything. But a highly successful career in the army has won him a title. A clear head and shrewd investments have finally paid off too, and he is now the proud owner of Bletchford Manor (he really must change the name).

While out walking his new property, he stumbles across Belle, but bad memories and personal failure make him abominably rude, and he hopes to have scared her off for good. John has achieved everything he has ever wanted, and he has no wish to dream for more.

Except that Belle is stubborn, and when she sees something good in a person she won't stop until all the world knows it's there too.

Haunted memories, mysterious notes, potential heartbreak, waltzes at midnight and a hilarious wedding bring out the best in this sweet, heartwarming tale. Emma, Alex, Ned and Dunford all return from 'Splendid' to add to the mix, but Belle holds her own in this step up from sidekick to heroine. John, too, is a hero worthy of her, even if he is a little confused, hesistant and stubborn at times.

However, the backstory of John's incident in Spain, that makes him unworthy, is some times a little disjointed. He seems to bounce between being a haunted man and a snob, with no real cohesion in the middle. By all accounts that's because this book was originally about class rather than demons, and it occasionally shows as a chunk of John's conscience rudely barges in without much need.

But this is all in the first half, and crops up rarely. Once John's reservations are forced aside all that's left is a trademark JQ gallop to the finish with John's past coming back in truth, a heartwarming confession of love and a bet that will surely come back to haunt Dunford (in 'Minx').

Another sweet, funny tale from JQ, and a worthy follow-up to 'Splendid'. Not her best, but even that makes it better than many, and always worth a read. Not to mention the poetry, which runs right through to an ending that can't do anything but make you smile.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling, 18 Nov. 2001
By A Customer
This is a brilliant book that I could not put down.
The reason why I only gave it four stars was the occasional use of bad english grammar by the english characters. If the book was set in America and/or the characters were American, I wouldn't have a problem, but it is the English characters, in England, saying the word 'gotten' in the middle their sentence. English people in this period NEVER used this word, along with several other American phrases and words. However, I do appreciate that Miss Quinn is an American author, writing for the American market.
I still found this book highly amusing, great fun to read, and would recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars brill, 24 May 2013
i love these books, can read them in a day because i just can't put them down once i start

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd happily Dance at Midnight with the Hero, 19 Mar. 2013
I am unsure if this was actually a real sequel to 'Splendid', i.e. written exactly after it ... or it was just a sequel by virtue of the fact that it is about Lady Arabella Blydon (Cousin of Emma eventually Duchess of Ashdowne featured in Splendid).

Shortly after the Emma and Alex get married, bluestocking Bella is visiting for an extended stay whilst her parents sojourn in Italy. She trespasses onto a neighbour's land and is challenged by Lord John Blackwood.
I will 'fess immediately, this is another review for a Local Library read I recent borrowed.

I have to say that I immediately fell in love with him ......... I am just the kind of girl that simply cannot resist an injured and damaged war hero. Especially when you add in good looks, and social ineptitude ......... so much so indeed, that I finished the book during a late evening/early morning session.

My favourite scene was Belle's blister on her way to visit him, closely followed later in the book by John climbing a tree to her room, and even later on Belle climbing a tree to his room and ultimate de-flowerment (not sure if it's an actual word, but it should be) ~ notice I did not say ruin!

It was ummmmmmmmmm, more Splendid that Splendid was Splendid if you see what I mean. Although with tiny things like "block" cropping up again. We do not have blocks here in England, just a minor irritation though.

I have set a limit on here of 5 stars being the highest, but I am going to make an exception with a 5 star +, being the ultimate. All in all a lovely, frothy and delightful read - take it on a plane, train or auto-mobile ride .... better still, take an Cruise and snuggle up on a the deck in a cosy blanket and get a steward to keep bring coffee, alcohol and choccies to assist in your journey across these pages.

4.0 out of 5 stars sweet and saucy, 18 Mar. 2009
Lindymck (Falkirk, Scotland) - See all my reviews
a nice little read. the story of belle and john who are just the thing that each other needs. although the back story was a little weak but since when do we read these books for the back story??? its the romance thats the draw. anyway we are introduced to the delicious dunford again, who will get his own story which is another good one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best, 27 Jun. 2001
By A Customer
I have read many of Julia Quinns books and have enjoyed them, however I was sorley disappointed with this one. John seemed to get over his 'promblems' regarding marrying Belle to quickly for me to find it believeable. Also I am afraid that I do not like a 'desperate' women, you never would have guessed that Belle had received dozens of marriage proposals from the way that she chases John.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad buy!, 5 Jun. 2014
This is one of the most boring books I've read in years. In fact, I gave up and didn't finish it. Very unusual for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my favourite, 4 April 2014
I didn't like this one as much as "Splendid". Whilst at first it was nice to read about a hero who was not a "rake" like so many of JQ heros are. The tortured hero thing didn't really work for me here. By the end I was missing some rakish wit.

What I did enjoy was that unlike other JQ novels that I have read where there might be mention or a brief appearance of the couples from other books, we got to see quite a bit of Emma and Alex, characters I much preferred.

Not bad but definitely not as good or well written as her later stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars good read, 14 Oct. 2013
I bought this for my mum who has recently got in to reading Julia Quinn and she really enjoyed it.

Dancing at Midnight (Avon Historical Romance)
Dancing at Midnight (Avon Historical Romance) by Julia Quinn (Mass Market Paperback - 7 Nov. 2002)
Used & New from: £0.01