5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious and Sensual - what more could you want?
Not a big fan of Regency Romances, I am nevertheless frequently given a push by a friend who is. Lord of Scoundrels was given to me by her because she'd acquired a duplicate copy. I was dubious when I opened it up, but by the end of the prologue I was hooked and my heart ached for Dain as a child.
Then we met Jessica - and her first encounter with Dain, the adult -...
Published on 10 July 2003 by Ticked Off

3.0 out of 5 stars Smart and sexy
Jessicas numb skulled brother has gotten mixed up with a real the bad news Marquess of Dain, rich but impossibly evil this womanizing scoundrel is suprised to find himself attracted to the prim and proper Jessica Trent. She thinks to out manouver him in an attempt to free her brother from his clutches but finds their mutual attraction taking them both by surprise...
Published on 15 Mar 2008 by Romance Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious and Sensual - what more could you want?, 10 July 2003
This review is from: Lord of Scoundrels (Avon Romantic Treasure) (Mass Market Paperback)
Then we met Jessica - and her first encounter with Dain, the adult - and I was off on a rollercoaster of passion, romance, action and surely the most hilarious verbal sparring between hero and heroine to ever grace a romance novel! I simply couldn't put it down and loved every minute. It had me laughing out loud - especially as Dain's every attempt to embarrass Jess with sexual innuendo ended with her turning the tables and having him blushing. LOL!
But it was also hot and sensual - I think that first kiss under the street lamp must rank as THE most senuous romantic encounter I've ever read.
Simply a delight from start to finish and one of the best books - romance or otherwise - I've ever read. It now has pride of place on my bookshelves and I know I'll revisit Dain and Jess again and again.
I've also read The Last Hellion and didn't find it quite as witty or as senusally intense. But still very enjoyable and on par with the best regency authors currently around.
Definitely highly recommended.
I'll agree though that the cover was a mistake. No prude, I nevertheless found myself hiding it in case my husband caught sight of it and blushing furiously at the thought that anyone might see me with it!

5.0 out of 5 stars FUNNY, ROMANTIC AND VERY,VERY SEXY, 18 Aug 2003
Mrs. K. Henderson (UK) - See all my reviews
I absolutely adore this book. One of the best romances I have read. I just love the way Jessica is instantly attracted to the dark, brooding and supposedly ugly brute that is Lord Dain. The love scenes sizzle and yet are also very tender and heartwarming. Even when she shoots him it's romantic!. Jessica was just such a wonderful person and I have not warmed to a heroine like her since. So many female characters seem so cold and spiteful and spend all there time denying their attraction you wonder what the hero's see in them. But not so with Jessica and Dain. This really is a wonderful book by Loretta Chase and not to be missed. A keeper!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Determined Lady meets Lord of Scoundrels, 18 Jun 2005
Ladybubbles (Croydon, Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Tough-minded Jessica Trent's sole intention is to free her nitwit brother from the destructive influence of Sebastian Ballister, the notorious Marques of Dain. She never expects to desire the arrogant, amoral cad. And when Dain's reciprocal passion places them in a scandalously compromising and public, position. Jessica is left with no choice but to seek satisfaction...
Lord Dain can't wait to put the infuriating bluestocking in her place - and in some amorous position. And if that means marriage - so be it!
This is the first book I have read from this author - I will definitely looking out for more of her books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful cover, great book!, 26 Dec 2006
Helen Hancox "Auntie Helen" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
[Please note - this review was for the original paperback issue of the book. This book has now been reissued with a much better cover!]

Is it just me, or are most Regency mass-market paperback covers just AWFUL? They usually have a scantily-clad and dishy man in a semi-compromising position with a beautiful woman whose dress seems to be falling down. And such was the cover of this book - I wouldn't have bought it if it weren't for the great reviews on Amazon.co.uk. And I am glad I looked beyond the dismal cover as it was a very good book!

Firstly, that cover. Presumably the man on the front (a shiny chestnut-haired, muscular Adonis with slightly tanned skin and a traditionally handsome face) is meant to be Sebastian Ballister, Marquess of Dain and the hero of this story. However, we are told right at the beginning of the story that Dain is actually ugly; well, if not ugly, certainly not your traditional handsome hero. He's got a huge nose, he's half-Italian and therefore very swarthy and he has black curly hair. Oh, and he's enormously tall and very well muscled. Doesn't sound like our rather average-sized hero on the front cover of this book.

Jessica Trent, our heroine, is tall-ish, stunningly beautiful (of course) with long black hair which is usually pinned up in rather bad hairstyles. Now the woman in this picture is probably an amazon as she looks about the same height as the bloke and we have already established that Dain is well over six feet tall. Hmmm. Apart from that she answers reasonably to the description of our heroine.

Yes, it's a waste of time moaning about the cover art but you wonder if the people commissioning the cover of this book actually read it; or, more likely, if they thought rendering an accurate illustration of Dain would frighten people off. And that's what our hero spends his life dealing with - people find him ugly, scary, frightening. They try to beat him up, reject him (his mother runs away when he's eight years old and his father sends him off to school and basically ignores him) and he spends his twenties carousing and womanising like your average Regency Rake. And he has the money for it - he's loaded - so he believes that he can get whatever he wants by paying for it.

Unfortunately for Jessica Trent, her brother Bertie, who is a few sandwiches short of a picnic in the brains department, has fallen in with Dain's crowd and hasn't got the finances for it. Jessica and Bertie were hard-up to start with, being orphans, and Bertie can't afford the wine, women and song that those who run in Dain's set seem to spend their whole time chasing. Thus Jessica, with the help of her grandmother Genevieve, decides to try to separate Bertie from Dain. This involves Jessica actually meeting Dain and at that point it all starts going awry as she falls in lust with the ugly, enormous and very intelligent and witty man. She is also intelligent and witty and so, despite being a lady, which is a species Dain avoids like the plague, he finds himself in conversation with her. Their conversations don't go well as both are so clever that they end up in a kind of contest which both want to win - Jess's prize is that Dain will exlude her brother from his set; Dain's prize is that he will have a beautiful Russian Icon that Jess found in a shop in Paris. And so their initial introductions take place and they both find that there is something very special in the other - and this doesn't escape the attention of the rest of society which causes some problems for them both in terms of reputation.

This is a romance that explores the deeper issues that people have that may cause them to behave in a particular way and a lot of the story is about how Jess slowly draws Dain out of his shell so that she can understand why he behaves the way he does with women. She also causes him to face up to his responsibilities back at home in England and is amazingly accepting of him with his past history. It's a well-written love story with a small side-plot of someone trying to damage Dain and it never gets boring as they move from Paris to Dartmoor. Jess is a really fun heroine (she actually shoots Dain at one point) and he's an interesting hero with far more to him than the usual Regency hero (which is usually just good looks - which of course he doesn't have at all). I felt perhaps that the resolution of their problems unfolded rather rapidly at the end, plus I wondered how she managed to behave like a perfectly angelic wife for a whole month just to make a point (surely this would be impossible for just a day with such a difficult man) but I did find, after finishing the book, that I believed they COULD make a go of it, that their mutual love was understandable despite the differences in their natures, and I was glad that he was a reformed rake and came to terms with himself and his responsibilities, although perhaps rather more quickly than would happen in real life (the work of several years compressed into a month). This was a very good book, though, and I'm going to look out for more by Loretta Chase. I just hope they have less toe-curlingly embarrassing covers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 19 Nov 2001
By A Customer
This was the first historical romance I read and I've yet to find one to better it. The cover is very off putting, but appears to be more or less mandatory for this genre. The story is good and the characters are brilliant. Lord Dain has to be one of the most memorable romantic heroes ever. Loretta Chase has a very witty turn of phrase and is a natural story teller. This is the third book in a series of four (so far, at least): Lion's Daughter, Captives of the Night, Lord of Scoundrels and Last Hellion. They are all good and don't have to be read in order. I'm now eagerly awaiting the next Loretta Chase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent characters, excellent romance, excellent humor, 13 Mar 1999
By A Customer
It was very difficult to put this book down once I got started. The characters were fleshed out quite nicely and I really liked Dain and Jessica. I've also read The Last Hellion and it too was good, but this one is superior, because the love and physical attraction between Dain and Jess was more intense. Chase writes really well and the humor is wonderful. The first book in the series is Captives of the Night (at least I think it's the first book) and I cannot believe she was the writer. It was very boring. I actually didn't even get half way through it. I wonder why it takes so long for her books to come out? I have high expectations for her next book. I wish she were more prolific.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!, 10 Mar 1999
By A Customer
I grabbed this book, on impulse, just to have SOMETHING to read on my recent trip to Europe. Boy, am I glad I did. This is the best book I have read in a looooooooooooong time. Jessica is not intimidated by Dain, and not swayed by his low opinion of himself, although the boy did try his best to send her off. I loved her toughness and her tenderness, she is as close to a perfect heroine as one can get. The other reviewers are right, the dialogue is hell of witty and funny, and I love how after all is said and done, she still calls him Beelzebub. They do appear in The Last Hellion, and Jess is still as sharp as ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've found another new favourite author - Loretta Chase!, 25 Feb 1999
By A Customer
Get past the hoaky cover of LORD OF SCOUNDRELS and what a romp! What fun!! Jessica and Dain have such magnetism and chemistry. She falls in lust with him the minute she meets him and he whispers sweet Italian nothings in her ear soon thereafter! What a miserable childhood Dain had. No wonder the two of them had all those misundertandings. Using a 20th Century phrase: he really did need to "heal his inner child." Chase writes very well - I laughed out loud in sections and chuckled and smiled through numerous others. Their names for each other - Lord Beelzebub, Demon spawn - were great! Lines like: "He was a monster but he was MY monster" - loved 'em! The ending was a stroke of genius, pulling all loose ends together. This book was an 10+!! I enjoyed every minute of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Wrong-thinking Man...One Right-thinking Woman, 27 Mar 1997
By A Customer
Born ugly, called the spawn of satan by his own father...Sebastien sees himself as a self-fulfilling prophecy....one ugly man. How is he to know that time has transformed him into a startling, sexy, man. Bring a practical minded female, Jess is thrown for a loop when this half-italian stallion crosses her path. Suddenly thoughts of lust fill her mind, and, as the story unfolds, frustration, as the man of her dreams turns out to be quite beastly in nature. Through fist fights, a bastard child's rescue, and the love two people accidentally find with each other..This is a book well worth keeping, I, myself, own four copies..

5.0 out of 5 stars rave about this novel, 15 Oct 2008
Absolutely loved everything about this book from the first meeting of the hero/heroine, their interaction, developing freindship to the final outcome. Its not the typical male must protect the sensibilities of female, true grit instead with genuine "gut-like" feelings. Jess is not a weak typical stereo-type & Dain's feelings are so taken from the beginning that the whole leaves you with a "whoosy" good feeling & you want to buy the rest of the books that LC has written I reccommend this book to all romantics, & yet another keeper.

Lord of Scoundrels (Avon Romantic Treasure)
Lord of Scoundrels (Avon Romantic Treasure) by Loretta Chase (Mass Market Paperback - 6 Dec 2007)
6.99