on 28 July 1999
I have a whopping 2.5 gals of surprisingly good brew in my logbook (that makes me a rank beginner, folks!). I bought this book because I wanted to improve my techniques and make better (but not necessarily more complex) beers. This book never let me down - it has everything and seems best suited for the beginner to novice brewers (because 99% of intermediate to advanced brewers have already read it!). This book is divided into 3 sections - beginner (all extract), intermediate (extract plus specialty grains), and advnced (all-grain). However, this doesn't completely describe the layout of the book. For instance, Papazian talks about brewing techniques and components of beer (and how they interact) in EACH section, but he delves deeper and deeper with each progressive section. Thus, he unravels the mysteries of beer at a comfortable pace and only to the degree to which the reader cares to explore. But perhaps the thing that makes Papazian's books so beloved by homebrewers is the perfect balance between technique and fun! Even when describing the most technical subject, Papazian never disguises his enthusiasm for and love of homebrewing. He never forgets to remind his readers to ENJOY what they're doing - no matter how technical it may be (oh, and Papazian is exceptionally knowledgeable about homebrewing). Papazian's enthusiasm has rubbed off on me and has ignited my curiosity. I recommend this book to ALL homebrewers who have not already read it. To those who are curious about homebrewing, look no further - BUY THIS BOOK! It's worth it. This is nearly unanimously THE best general treatise on the FUN of homebrewing! Try some of the recipes he includes - I did!
Relax... Don't Worry... Have a Homebrew!
on 13 September 1997
This was the first book that I purchased on the subject of homebrewing. I met Charlie Papazian at a local bookstore and he signed my book with his favorite phrase "Relax..Don't Worry..Have a Homebrew". This book is well organized and is wriiten in an entertaining style. It is the perfect book for the beginner. It details, step-by-step, the basic instructions for brewing your first batch of beer. It also has sperate sections for intermediate and advanced homebrewing. An individual can find an answer to practically any question that he/she might have on the subject of brewing beer somewhere in this book. Among all the the books that I have on the subject of homebrewing, this is the one that I turn to most frequently. Papazian's writing style keeps the subject of brewing interesting from start to finish.
on 11 January 1999
This book was one of the first things I bought when I started homebrewing. It was recommended to me as the best book for beginners. I agree totally. It's a must have for experienced brewers as well. The simple step by step instructions make it seem "Fool Proof." The book is good for reading straight through or searching for a specific answer when your in the midst of brewing a batch of beer. I found the section on kegging procedures and equipment helpful. There are also chapters of this books that focus on specific topics such as: Hops, Water, Yeast, Fermentation, and Sanitation. There are also chapters on intermidiate techniques and advamnced recipe theory as well. This is not the ONLY brewing book you should own, but I think it's the best one currently out there.
on 8 June 1997
I haven't read many books on home brewing, but this one is so entertainingly and informatively written, I won't have to turn to another for a while yet. Good for the beginner as well as the intermediate and expert brewers, this is probably the best known home brew book. The best things are the daggy 70's style photos (a couple straining hot wort has the caption "Having a strained relationship?") and the author's mantra, intoned when explaining anything complex: "Relax. Don't worry. Have a homebrew".

The worst thing is, it makes me thirsty.
on 18 February 1998
Every homebrewer it seems begins with a copy of this book. Its reassuring, playful tone and pictures combined with lots and lots of recipes make it an attractive purchase, though I would recommend Byron Burch's "Brewing Quality Beers" as a superior how-to book for both extract and all-grain brewing. After the first few batches, the average homebrewer will begin seeking out other sources of more detailed information, but as a start-up book TNCJOHB is good.
on 2 October 1996
This book has one great feature in the tradition of the towel
from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Whenever things seem too complex, the book is sure to provide us
assistance via this powerful motto:
Relax, Don't worry, have a Home Brew.

Armed with this knowledge, it's easy to slip into the wonderful world of amateur
home brewing for beginners and experts alike. -- The BrewMeister
on 15 February 2008
This is simply the best book for beginners which I have ever come across. I started brewing with it in 1991 and still use it! The humour is corny and some of the recipes are a bit dodgy, but Papazian has an easy to understand style AND remains simple.
Of course, once you get past the intermediate stage of brewing, it is best to complete your collection with more advanced writings.
RELAX, HAVE A HOMEBREW!
on 1 April 1997
Charlie Papazian is the king of homebrew authors. This book covers virtually everything from extract beer kits to full grain brewing. His style is light, yet informative. My copy has become well dog-eared from use, as my experience and knowledge of brewing has increased. I would highly recommend this book to anyone just starting out or for more experienced brewers that need a good all around reference.
on 9 February 1999
My second copy is falling apart as this is the most comprehensive reference available anywhere. Legions of neophyte brewers have found the Brewbird of Hoppiness within these pages. Logical intros to ingredients, equipment, procedures, recipes, and Zen attitude. Relax, enjoy, hone your craft. It'll be "all quiet on the yeastern front".
on 19 March 1997
Charlie "relax, have a homebrew" Papazian is a reasonably good writer, and a good brewer. this book is pretty good for someone moving from kit brewing to extract brewing, and looking for introductions to advanced brewing techniques. More accesable than a lot of "complete" homebrewing manuals. great recipe section.