Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange

on 3 November 1998
As person of strong religious conviction, I read this book with an open mind knowing that should the author stray from the bible's context I would know it both mentally and spiritualy. For me the book of Genesis has always been the most facinating book on earth, and long before reading Mr. Sitchen's work I myself have sat down and with a concordance found many of the words suspect of far deeper meaning and import. It has always been my personal belief that the truth of it all is far more fabulous then any of us could possibly imagine. Mr. Sitchen's affection for the book of genesis is obvious from the first chapter. With his decisiveness and scholarly approach, he vindicates it. The things learned in this book for me are not about entertainment, but about facing a reality about our existance and our purpose and even our fate that goes far beyond the end of my mere nose. And yours too.
0Comment25 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 June 1999
This is probably the best of all Sitchin's work, since it essentially summarises the 5 Earth Chronicles books. The basic hypothesis is the same - Earth was probably visited in the distant past by extraterrestials who genetically engineered Man as a mining slave. Sounds whacky yes, but Sitchin's scholarship is unchallenged by most. For those who don't have the patience to read his 6 or 7 other books on the subject, this one will do nicely. Read it with an open mind and remember, what he says at least presents a scientific alternative to blind acceptance that Man was divinely created. And for those who want to pursue more about Man's past, read "Forbidden Archaeology'' by Michael Cremo and Richard Thompson. Your worldview will never be the same again
0Comment46 of 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 February 2010
The Bible tells us Abraham came from the Sumerian city of Ur; so logically his early experiences amidst that society would have molded his religious outlook; but I was truly amazed at how closely Judaism resembles the much older faith of the Ancient Sumerian's. Reading the original stories on which our Bible is based however, and realizing what they were really telling us; was for Me, only comparable to Saul's revelation on the road to Damascus.

The biblical tale of Lot's wife, turned by God into a pillar of salt, for looking back on the destruction of Sodom is one example amongst many. Even in Sunday school, I found the tale both interesting and strangely perplexing; God seemed to treat Lot's wife very unfairly, and why change her to salt? By teenage, I had concluded that religion was a collection of garbled tales, attractive only to the gullible; but I could never truly accept the alternative evolutionary theories. Even my wristwatch didn't fall together of it's own accord; and living things are far more complicated!

Returning to the story of Lot and his wife, Zecharia Sitchin explains that the Sumerian word 'nimur' had two meanings; the first being salt, and the second mist/vapour. Thus a simple mistranslation by Moses had resulted in the story being unintelligible for several millenia. The Sumerian original makes clear that Lot's wife was turned to a column of vapour by the awesome power the God's used to incinerate Sodom, Gohmorrah and the cities of the plain; while Lot himself worried for months that he was also cursed to sicken and die! To the modern eye this makes perfect sense. The cities themselves were destroyed by some sort of intense, possibly nuclear blast, Lot's unfortunate wife was vaporized by the searing heat of the flash; and Lot was worried about the after effects of exposure to radioactive fallout!

Having now read several of Mr Sitchin's books I think I finally understand the message our fore-fathers tried to leave us, so long ago. The wierd myths/legends of the past are based upon real events; being memories from the dawn of time. Mankind was created by the God's to tend the Earth, but those Immortal God's of ancient legend were not the mystical spirit creatures of modernday religious belief; they were flesh and blood beings like ourselves, capable of fathering children on 'the daughters of men'; as both the bible and ancient legend tells us. They also possessed an incredibly advanced scientific knowledge which enabled them amongst other things, to roam the heavens; we call it space today. Even the quest's of Gilgamesh, Hercules, Tantalus etc.... desperately searching for the secret of eternal life; make perfect sense if, as God/man hybrids, they knew death to be simply a genetic flaw inherited from their human mothers. A flaw which could be removed genetically, as easily as the God's had originally implanted it!

Ironically, for the first time in my life, I think I also understand the meaning behind the Biblical warnings concerning Armaggeddon, the Second Coming and Judgement Day. Mr Sitchin's books reveal, amongst many other things, a story of escalating conflict between Gods and men; which culminated in a cataclysmic war that triggered the great flood, destroyed that first Divine culture, and left the few human survivors master of a devastated/profoundly changed planet. If however, prior to their disappearance/destruction, the Gods had sent to an original home-culture for aid/assistance, from far across the galaxy(Shades of General McArthur "I shall return!"); then bearing in mind both the awesome time/distances involved in intergalactic travel, and the anticipated effects of Einstein's relativity theory on space-travellers, those reinforcements might even now be on their way here; to give a final verdict on the amazing events recorded by those ancient Sumerian scribes.

To conclude this review, the question:- "How would you translate the circuit diagrams/ construction blueprints of Starship Enterprise into ancient Aztec?" sums up the problem nicely. Is it all true? I don't know; but it certainly makes a lot more sense than the teachings of some religious leaders I could name.Genesis Revisited: Is Modern Science Catching Up with Ancient Knowledge?
1010 comments15 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 August 2009
Having never been a religious person myself (I previously considered the stories of creation to be nothing more than superstitious claptrap written and aceepted by gullible fools) I read this book with an open mind about the alternative explanations it puts forward. Sitchin is a very good writer, of that there is no doubt. His research is presented clearly and consisely without resorting to too much scientific jargon. He clearly has an excellent knowledge of astronomy and this ties together nicely with his theory about nibiru/the annunaki. What he proposes in this book seems to make an awful lot of sense, and you get the feeling that the creation story as told in the book of Genesis and others is actually trying to tell us more than just the tale of a divine creation that centuries of religious propaganda would have us believe.
However, the author would have us believe that he is the leading authority on translation of the ancient Sumerian scripts, but just a small amount of research will lead you to the conclusion that Mr Sitchin is in fact held in very low regard by his peers in this field. Most archaeologists and anthropologists who have studied the cuneiform tablets on which Sitchin's theories are based disagree with his translations of the ancient texts, and this is where his credibility falls apart because, as sensible as the whole idea seems, it all comes down to his own interpretation of the scripts. It would appear that his translations are based on his own pre-conceived ideas about the 12th planet, rather than his ideas about the 12th planet being based on academic research and accurate translation of the scripts.
Read it anyway - it's a very interesting book but, just as he asks the reader not to take the bible stories literally, don't take what he says as gospel either.
33 comments51 of 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 February 2002
Read this book and loved it. First came across Zachariah Sitchin through one of david Icke's books and am now buying some of Zachariah's other books. Thought this book was great, before I dismissed the bible as rubbish, now I believe there is alot of fact in genesis if you can work around the guff and correctly interpret the stories. Great conclusions that echoed my thoughts on the subject. This can't be rubbish, Zachariah predicted the colour of Uranus 1 week before modern science saw Uranus via a space probe (Using the sumerian texts). Got to find out more about these sumerian texts.
22 comments45 of 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
There is no doubt that, for many reasons, there is much ancient knowledge that has vanished over the centuries and recent discoveries of Sumerian clay tablets and other sources testify to that. Sitchin, like Alan Alford and others, points to the Sumerian tablets that describe the story of the creation of the Earth and the dawn of life in terms that can be strangely close to recent scientific discoveries. Did the ancients really know about the structure of the solar system and the creation of life and space travel and hide these truths within stories passed down through history as myths?

Sitchin's strongest area is on the geology of our solar system and many of the points he makes are intriguing, as is the tie-in with the creation story as told in the ancient stories prior to Genesis being written and not the neutered version in our current bibles.

He ties together a series of events that can be validated scientifically as well as having strong connections with ideas from both evolution AND creationism, apart from those who insist the world was created in 4004 BC who are beyond any sort of help.

This part of the book, by far the the largest part, is superb and well-written and I recommend this to everyone not just those with an interest in ancient knowledge or religion.

Where he loses me though is in the last few chapters when he moves on to a possible threat to Earth from within our own solar system and a tie-in with strange happenings on Mars and its odd moonlets. With many millions being spent on deep-space SETI projects one wonders why anyone would want to avoid evidence in our own relatively local area. The USA, Russian and other Government's "apparent" lack of willingness to release information can only help promote conspiracies. One interesting thought though, would a strongly religious nation disclose new information that could undermine its religious beliefs? May there be a time when the truth is not out there, but locked away somewhere?

Read this book, the last part especially, with an open mind but do your own research as well. There are plenty books you can look up, visit libraries and search on the internet before you make your own minds up.
11 comment16 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 February 2006
I have never been a believer of religion, and take all the bibles stories with a pinch of salt. To be honest, i find it sad that modern "man" (and woman) believe in & pray to a mythical god! and simply dismiss any other theories as nonsense!! I have always considered the bible to be a book of stories/fables designed to promote "good" living.
HOWEVER, as i started to read this book i realised that many of the stories from the bible have earlier origins (some 4,000 years earlier) and that perhaps there is some element of fact about them.
I avidly set about finishing Sitchin's book "Genesis Revisited" I was amazed to discover that Sitchin uses & quotes Sumerian texts that describe the creation of mankind. The texts are comparable with those of the bible, BUT, with more accurate translations. For example, the bible describes how God created Adam from the dust of the earth and breathed life in to him. Sitchin describes how the Sumerian texts/words used to describe the ape-like creature found on earth at that time, were "clay" or "dust" of the earth, and how the equivalent texts for what we now call laboratories translate from Sumerian as "the buildings where life is breathed". In other words the clay/dust of the earth (ape-man) was created in alien laboratories. The texts go on to explain how the term Adam should have been translated as Adamah - meaning "slave" - The gods created adamah as a slave to "till the earth" - ie do the laborious work for them.
There are many more examples of how the Sumerian texts can be found in the Christian bible - but have been mis-translated over the years. By the way, these texts pre-date the bible by some 4,000 years! The Bible is nothing more than a copy of these ancient texts written some 4,000 years earlier.
It is probably true to say that some people will simply dismiss Sitchin's book as nonsense. However, these are not simply his fancical theories or dreams - they are backed up by hard evidence - the Sumerian tablets do exist. They do describe God-like beings from the stars. They do describe how the earth was created. Even more difficult to dismiss is the fact that they describe in great details how each planet in our solar syatem is made up, what the atmosphere is like, what colour the planets are etc. All these things modern man has only recently discovered with the aid of massive telescopes and space probes etc. How did the Sumerian people get these facts so right over 6,000 years ago!!
This book has certainly provoked me to read more on this fasinating topic. It is a book that i found hard to put down.
I have always been interested in the theories that mankind was visited in the distant past by travelling "aliens", but this goes one step further. It describes how these aliens moulded the human race "in their own image".
Whether you belive these theories or not, one thing i am certain, you cannot dismiss them until you have read them!
22 comments34 of 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 November 2013
As I had already read "the 12th planet" I am familiar with Sitchin's theory. This acts as a summary or a make up. For me this is disappointing since I was looking for more information (innovative one) not for the same. At times I thought I was reading the same book. Not that the whole theory is not mind blowing, but ALL the same information, again? It just contains a few pieces of new information. If you have already bought the 12th planet, you won't miss anything by not buying "Genesis Revisited"...
on 6 January 2015
A nice take on things from someone elses point of view, im an atheist and just thought it would be great to read what all the fuss was about, i can now see why people can be taken in by all this but you have to look at it from the outside to get a better picture, again worth a read but do take it as the be all and end all, its just an interesting read.
on 29 March 2015
Having come across the supernatural in nature, and a few interesting people of questionable origin on my travels, on a personal and deep level, I can vouch for this book being an eye opener. It will contain more truth that will resonate with you, than all the traditions and religions of the world.